Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I live in one of the most progressive states in the country. That's excellent in some regards such as gay couples are allowed to marry. It's terrible in that there is a giant list of things that you're not allowed to do that you can do just about everywhere else. *sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Forget about the school thing. Here is another one:
    You can't drink alcohol in public (for example, a park) in most states. You can't even hold an open beer in public. This includes cars even if you are not the driver. And this is law, unlike the school ban thing.
    Considering that most alcohol I've ever drank was in public, this is absolutely ridiculous. One of my best memories include drinking with friends on the beach or in the local park.
    I've always thought those were ridiculous...until...one day...

...I was standing at the bus stop here in Chicago , waiting for the #3 when this obviously drunk guy carrying a bottle (where it's not allowed, but people are known to do it) staggers up to me and starts talking about gays (with all sorts of slurs) and girls (again with more slurs), and leans up against me to talk about this girl he just had sex with...

It was pretty awful. Not saying that simply having alcohol out in public can do that as he clearly got hammered before he even stepped foot outside. Sometimes bans have a reason, and I recognize that on that list plenty of schools did it for a good purpose. But others are nonsensical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red ink is understandable, It makes it easier to mark and see what score you've gotten if the score is in red and the rest of the ink on the page is in black or blue. It's more for convenience in marking I guess. I wasn't allowed to use Red ink while writing short stories so my teachers could clearly outline mistakes in red.

But saying red ink causes harm to a childs self esteem is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Puck; 2012-08-16 at 03:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I've always thought those were ridiculous...until...one day...

...I was standing at the bus stop here in Chicago , waiting for the #3 when this obviously drunk guy carrying a bottle (where it's not allowed, but people are known to do it) staggers up to me and starts talking about gays (with all sorts of slurs) and girls (again with more slurs), and leans up against me to talk about this girl he just had sex with...

It was pretty awful. Not saying that simply having alcohol out in public can do that as he clearly got hammered before he even stepped foot outside. Sometimes bans have a reason, and I recognize that on that list plenty of schools did it for a good purpose. But others are nonsensical.
    Causing a public disturbance isn't a good reason to ruin the fun for everyone though. I and my friends are perfectly capable of enjoying ourselves responsibly with a few drinks in a public setting, and I don't think a drunk hobo is a good reason to keep us from doing so. If the person is causing a public disturbance, act on that, not on the alcohol he's holding.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!