Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Yes indeed, however the OP was referring to logging in
    I'm not the OP, and I was referring to WvW queues. Sorry if that wasn't clear, didn't think about it but it wouldn't be to anyone who didn't play SWTOR. The big problem in SWTOR with too many servers was that, inevitably, after launch people aren't all playing at the same times anymore. If there were too many servers, then there would be some realms where not enough people were on at X time for WvW to be properly populated. In SWTOR's case, PVP queues were really long on some servers, because there weren't enough people to fill groups.

I would rather have to sit in a queue to access WvW than wind up in a WvW situation where we had, say, 200 servers, and only 25 of them were populated fully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by subrosian View Post
    I'm not the OP, and I was referring to WvW queues. Sorry if that wasn't clear, didn't think about it but it wouldn't be to anyone who didn't play SWTOR. The big problem in SWTOR with too many servers was that, inevitably, after launch people aren't all playing at the same times anymore. If there were too many servers, then there would be some realms where not enough people were on at X time for WvW to be properly populated. In SWTOR's case, PVP queues were really long on some servers, because there weren't enough people to fill groups.

I would rather have to sit in a queue to access WvW than wind up in a WvW situation where we had, say, 200 servers, and only 25 of them were populated fully.
    Same thing in Rift at the moment, not enough people, logged on last couple of nights there was 50 on one server (levels 1-50) and only 11 on alt server, so totally know what you mean I did play Tor for all of 2 weeks , but yeah couldn't get into it (waste of money that was)

Unsure about server choice! Where did you play, and what was it like?

Hello GW2 forum! So with launch coming up, I am still unsure of what server I'd like to situate myself on. RL friends aren't an issue, as they'd probably be starting up after launch and willing to join the server I'm on, so my main concern is "progression", as much as that is applicable here. I'm looking for a community that strives to do well in wvwvw and has a community that is, for the most part, looking to be on the cutting edge. Now for all I know, this might not be something that is identifiable in servers as a whole at this point, but I figure that if any server identities have arisen during the BWE events, someone here would know.

If you played in the beta weekends but, unlike me, did actively participate in server community rather than just burning through content to get a feel for things, write a bit about where you played and why you will or will not be making that server our home on launch. This is of course, if your server is going to be available on launch.

Deleted
    i don't like these 'unofficial' servers, on rift apparently i joined a french server, which was English, but was full of french ppl, like :S

Well, for starters its unclear whether our pre-launch experience will coincide with the post-launch one. There were some servers which would clearly perform better in WvW, such as Desolation and Far Shiverpeaks. Other then that, I think every server will develop a strong community. I played on Desolation for the first few BWEs bu then moved to Whiteside Ridge as Desolation's constant WvWvW domination made it very boring. I don't know, I might stick to Whiteside Ridge — it seemed nice enough and the reddit community is tolerable; Desolation will be probably overpopolated anyway.

I was on Tarnished Coast and while it is being designated the unofficial RP haven, it was quite lively with many folks that weren't. Even those RP guilds were welcoming to non-RP'ers in places like WvWvW and just working together. Over time I think server communities will develop and as long as the server is adequately populated, events will be fun and fresh.

eu or us? if eu then anything but desolation, that server will have hour long queues for w vs w

Henge of Denravi at first, great server with great community.

Crystal Desert later. Stay away from it, as far as you can. The server had WvWvW utterly dominated but the community I interacted with were... stay away.

Deleted
    I played on far shiverpeaks and will go there on release as well. It's unofficial nordic server and seems pretty nice, got a few guilds to join there already. Not sure about how the server will perform in wvwvw, they said server was dominating in wvwvw during BWE events, but last stresstest that was in middle of the night germans facerolled us and people said the server would be too casual. Ah well, I will fight anyway and probably have fun and I'm sure server matchmaking will be ok as well to promote good fights =)

Deleted
    ive been on far shiverpeaks since first beta

Deleted
    Was involuntarily placed on Boreal Station for the past stress tests. Doesn't seem to be much of a community; people didn't really talk in WvW which resulted in us getting our asses handed to us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    I was on Tarnished Coast and while it is being designated the unofficial RP haven, it was quite lively with many folks that weren't. Even those RP guilds were welcoming to non-RP'ers in places like WvWvW and just working together. Over time I think server communities will develop and as long as the server is adequately populated, events will be fun and fresh.
    This was pretty much my exact experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    I can also duplicate this experience.

For people rolling on "PvP" servers, I don't really see what will make a server a "PvP" one. A bunch of famous cross-MMO arena teams start showing up? The only thing that actually matters from that perspective is WvW, which has a different skillset anyways. I don't see a lot of DAoC names up there, what makes a server a "PvP" server versus a "PvE" server at this point?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    I was there and then when they wiped server selection i tried desolation, i missed shiverpeaks when i was there

Whiteside Ridge (EU) during all betas and stress tests. Great experience - PvE (lots of people), WvWvW (server being one of top3 from all servers - except first bwe where it was in 2nd line of servers W:L), sPvP (dunno, are they server locked or is it region wide?).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drigoly View Post
    eu or us? if eu then anything but desolation, that server will have hour long queues for w vs w
    With due respect - Its not only Desolation ^^ I wanna bet @ launch many servers will have long queues for WvsW.
    Last edited by mmoc4bb253aadb; 2012-08-15 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Same. Plan on continuing to do so too unless it gets overpopulated ofc. I hope that there will be a list again with servers and guilds/nationalities that plan on playing there for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I can also duplicate this experience.

For people rolling on "PvP" servers, I don't really see what will make a server a "PvP" one. A bunch of famous cross-MMO arena teams start showing up? The only thing that actually matters from that perspective is WvW, which has a different skillset anyways. I don't see a lot of DAoC names up there, what makes a server a "PvP" server versus a "PvE" server at this point?
    Nothing but maybe people are referring to servers having already premade huge guilds/alliances like Titan (Gate of Madness) and Ascension (Crystal Desert) and I know Fort Asperwood has something on it. Server I putted are for Beta events, there's no guarantee it will stay that way. By the way these 3 servers were matched together for a long time now.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-15 at 02:03 PM.

Darkhaven, because the name reminds me of Darkshore, a place I used to love before Cataclysm changed it.

Deleted
    I was on Whiteside Ridge, myself. A fairly quiet server, there were a few confusions as to which language people should use, and a few people who always thought they're right in World vs World vs World chat, but people were generally very helpful in levelling zones, nobody would just walk past you, nobody would just blank you, some people were polite in asking for help with certain things (although it's rather difficult to help someone whose English isn't so great, at least for me. Mine isn't perfect but I can spell.)

Other than that I can't really say it's what I recommend for PvE, at least for me (who levelled a lot in the first few hours just from being used to levelling really quickly in MMOs), I never really experienced the 'lively' part of it other than the start of BWE3 when everyone was zerging starting zones and WvWvW which our realm seemed to be very good at (despite the odd idiot in /team chat thinking he's the PvP master for a game that isn't out yet)