Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jordan easily.

People can shout out Lebron all they want but Lebron in Jordan's era would have been destroyed by the different defensive rules at the time (hand-checking).

Tell me Lebron would last 5 minutes against this type of play

If Michael was at the point, we forced him left and doubled him. If he was on the left wing, we went immediately to a double team from the top. If he was on the right wing, we went to a slow double team. He could hurt you equally from either wing—hell, he could hurt you from the hot-dog stand—but we just wanted to vary the look. And if he was on the box, we doubled with a big guy.
    The other rule was, any time he went by you, you had to nail him. If he was coming off a screen, nail him. We didn't want to be dirty—I know some people thought we were—but we had to make contact and be very physical.
    Not gonna happen. Kid is too soft.

Deleted
    That must be Frodo!

Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    Once Lebron James retires with 7 rings, 5 regular season mvps and 7 finals mvp he'll be greater than Jordan.
    It is not about the number of rings though. Also, he is not exactly close to 7 rings + 7 finals mvp's yet.

Edit: of course titles mean something but not 1 title more or less. They both already have impressive lists.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-08-15 at 02:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun Fact: Shaq could have been the greatest of all time. He had the tools and could have dominated his era in a similar fashion to Wilt or Jordan.

But he just never cared enough to stay in shape and actually try. Top 10 player of all time. Only ever gave about 60%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    It is not about the number of rings though. Also, he is not exactly close to 7 rings + 7 finals mvp's yet.

Edit: of course titles mean something but not 1 title more or less. They both already have impressive lists.
    Lebron James got his first ring before MJ, age wise.. So he's close enough! He'll get there.

As someone that doesnt really watch much Basketball Jordan will always be the first name that comes. I think when someone gets on Jordans scale the whole world will know about it, you dont have to enjoy or watch the sport, but when someone is just that good then the whole world will pay attention. I think Jordan also had the ability to please crowds more, some of his dunks were outrageous to the extreme and people will always treasure that.

Lebron James got his first ring before MJ, age wise.. So he's close enough! He'll get there.
    Only James has been in the league longer than Michael when he got his first ring...
    Also, succes isn't determined by the amount of championships and mvp's alone... Charles Barkley hasn't got any championships, DJ Mbenga has 2, what does that mean? Squat. Nothing. In addition, I like to believe Jordan played in a much more talented era than Lebron does now (and as mentioned before, a much more physical era).
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post

Also, alextrazsa has the spells Detect Pregnancy and Track Babies.

Arvydas Sabonis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorthiros View Post
    Only James has been in the league longer than Michael when he got his first ring...
    Also, succes isn't determined by the amount of championships and mvp's alone... Charles Barkley hasn't got any championships, DJ Mbenga has 2, what does that mean? Squat. Nothing. In addition, I like to believe Jordan played in a much more talented era than Lebron does now (and as mentioned before, a much more physical era).
    By your logic King James is already a greater player then, because he's a better player. I'm not ready to go there yet, championships are valued high. Also, saying the league was better back then is just lame, the league is way better right now, way more skilled people.

By your logic King James is already a greater player then, because he's a better player. I'm not ready to go there yet, championships are valued high. Also, saying the league was better back then is just lame, the league is way better right now, way more skilled people.
    I really don't think so. James is a better rebounder yes (and perhaps a better passer), but you have to consider his size and athleticism. Yes the league was better back then, there were many teams capable of winning it all back then (as has been proven), now the only teams I see capable of doing so are the Spurs, the Lakers, the Heat and the Thunder. The most dominant big guy right now is Dwight Howard... Don't get me wrong, he's an incredible player, but nowhere near the skill level of the guys 10-15-20-25 years ago. He would get utterly destroyed by the likes of Olajuwon or David Robinson...

Shaq in his prime literally could not be stopped. The next biggest centers in the NBA were about 50-75 lbs lighter and only a handful (Mutombo and a few others) could match his height. And Shaq's raw strength was vastly superior to anyone else. You could throw him the ball down low and all he had to do was choose which of his many moves he wanted to use to finish.

Seriously, go youtube some closeup footage of Shaq being guarded by any opposing center, it looks like man vs child.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorthiros View Post
    I really don't think so. James is a better rebounder yes (and perhaps a better passer), but you have to consider his size and athleticism. Yes the league was better back then, there were many teams capable of winning it all back then (as has been proven), now the only teams I see capable of doing so are the Spurs, the Lakers, the Heat and the Thunder. The most dominant big guy right now is Dwight Howard... Don't get me wrong, he's an incredible player, but nowhere near the skill level of the guys 10-15-20-25 years ago. He would get utterly destroyed by the likes of Olajuwon or David Robinson...
    Where has "more teams were capable of winning" been proven? Jordan played from 1983-1998, skipping the 1994 season. in those 14 years, the West sent six teams to the Finals (Lakersx6, Houston x2, Portland x2, Utah x2, Phoenix and Seattle). The East sent FOUR teams. FOUR. Chicago x6, Boston x4, Detroit x3, Orlando x1. So in 14 years 10 teams played in the Finals and had five championship winners LA, Houston, Chicago, Boston, and Detroit. There have actually been more teams winning the Finals during LeBron's career than in Jordan's entire career in Chicago and the same number if you count the Wizards era (which only adds San Antonio to the winners and New Jersey, SA, and Philly to the teams to make it to the Finals). Since LeBron came into the league, six teams have won titles San Antonio, LA, Miami, Dallas, Boston, and Detroit and nine teams have made the Finals (OKC, Cleveland, Orlando). So parity is technically GREATER in terms of winning or competing for a title in LeBron's career than it ever was during Jordan's and LeBron still has 5-6 season to go to reach just Jordan's years in Chicago.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-15 at 05:01 PM.

Probably Michael Jordan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    LeBron still has 5-6 season to go to reach just Jordan's years in Chicago.
    And this is assuming LBJ wins a title each of those 5-6 years, which is doubtful. Based on the moves LA's been making this summer they could make the finals in the upcoming season. I'm expecting an encore between Boston and Miami in the playoffs but with a different outcome. Whichever team Boston faces in the finals (likely LA or OKC if I had to guess) would need to come hard in that case xD

Plus you can be sure Kobe wants to go out with a ring like MJ and David Robinson did =O
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    And this is assuming LBJ wins a title each of those 5-6 years, which is doubtful. Based on the moves LA's been making this summer they could make the finals in the upcoming season. I'm expecting an encore between Boston and Miami in the playoffs but with a different outcome. Whichever team Boston faces in the finals (likely LA or OKC if I had to guess) would need to come hard in that case xD

Plus you can be sure Kobe wants to go out with a ring like MJ and David Robinson did =O
    I didn't mean that he would equal Jordan's greatness by winning in those years. I just meant by that statement that the parity in the NBA is far higher right now than it was during Jordan's career with more teams having won titles in fewer years with LeBron in the league than did when Jordan was in the league. LeBron isn't catching Jordan on the greatness scale ever. LeBron is a great player. He could easily carve out that niche as the second greatest guy to take the court unless he just implodes the rest of his career. He isn't going to get to 6 rings though as that is next to impossible in the modern NBA.

i'd have to say mohammed ali or jack nickolson (or is he the golf player?), but they were both probably unequaled at the height of their NBA career

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    i'd have to say mohammed ali or jack nickolson (or is he the golf player?), but they were both probably unequaled at the height of their NBA career
    Ali's a boxer and Jack Nicholson is an actor. Jack Nicklaus was the golfer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What the hell did I just read :s ?

Don't flame, I'm not going to say MJ.

1) Wilt Chamberlain - Only player to ever avg more than 50PPG in a season. He has 4 season averaging more than MJ's highest scoring season. Only player to have 100 point game in the NBA. He is still has the all time most rebounds, highest rebounds per game (career) (22.89), highest rebounds per game (season) (27.2). Still has the top 2 all time season scoring % at 72% and 68%.

2) Michael Jordan
    3) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4) Bill Russel
    5) Kobe Bryant
    6) Hakeem Olijawon
    7) Ervin Magic Johnson
    8) Shaq
    9) Larry Bird
    10) Tim Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Don't flame, I'm not going to say MJ.

1) Wilt Chamberlain - Only player to ever avg more than 50PPG in a season. He has 4 season averaging more than MJ's highest scoring season. Only player to have 100 point game in the NBA. He is still has the all time most rebounds, highest rebounds per game (career) (22.89), highest rebounds per game (season) (27.2). Still has the top 2 all time season scoring % at 72% and 68%.

2) Michael Jordan
    3) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4) Bill Russel
    5) Kobe Bryant
    6) Hakeem Olijawon
    7) Ervin Magic Johnson
    8) Shaq
    9) Larry Bird
    10) Tim Duncan
    Well, you can't deny Wilt the Stilt is one of the all-time greats, but you have to put it in perspective: He was a giant compared to the other players. One of the few players to really match him in his prime was Bill Russel, there's no way he would have averaged ridiculous numbers like 50ppg and 20rpg had he played 10-20 years later. Have you seen him shoot freethrows? Quite funny actually, go look it up