Deleted

do ads with an adblocker really still consume network resources?

my brother is complaining again about me sucking up all the connection, and he claims that advertisements online keep communicating with the advert server even after they're loaded, and even if you got an adblocker installed. is this true?

Doubtful tbh, adblocker does the job fine for the most part, it'll eliminate the majority of ads, which speed up the loading time on webpages and other content in your browser. The top ones for Firefox and Chrome in particular work great.

I'm sure there's a lot more significant things that could be eating up your bandwidth. For starters, how fast is your connection? Do you regularly download a lot, and watch full online HD streams/movies? Have both you and your brother also ran a virus and spyware scan on both of your PCs?

Also, what background applications are you running? Do you torrent (and do you leave any such programs for it to continue running and seed)? Also, what is he doing with the connection?
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2012-08-15 at 09:39 AM.

Depends on your addblocker. Most addblockers have several methods to deal with advertisments:
    1. They check for the delivering server, if it is on a blacklist it won't be loaded at all by the browser, thus consuming no transfer volume.
    2. They check for the pixel size of the advertisment (webads have standardized sizes), depending of the filetype and html-code they might detect it as a add before downloading, but mostly they will have to download them once.
    3. They check for a hash for that ad-file in a filter list. The ad has to be downloaded first.

If possible, they will replace the add in the website with a transparent image. If that is not possible, esp. with flash banners, they will set their DOM-element non-visible. So they are indeed active, but simply not shown.
    But I hardly think many ads are consuming many networking ressources by communicating with their server, if at all they are just transfering some user behaviour, and that will only be a minor part compared to a statr-of-the-art website and the embedded medias.

10+ Year Old Account
    Download a program called NetLimiter3 it will show you the network traffic on your PC. Get your brother to do it too and then you can see where the connection is going.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Deleted
    Adblock plus blocks the ad servers so nothing comes down the line from them. Is pretty much like blocking the servers using a firewall.

Deleted
    Dealt in request system

Webpage requests ad from IP > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <- if its in your black lists or hosts file > redirect to 127.0.0.1 (most of the time) so the only spent network resource would be the initial request.

I do believe also that the newer adblocks block the ad before its even requested, older adblock copys will run the above method.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-08-15 at 10:45 AM.

Like advertising ....take all the bandwidth srly?

10+ Year Old Account
    With adblock in firefox, they're blocked entirely and will consume 0 bandwidth.

With adblock in chrome, they'll still load and consume bandwidth, they're just hidden out of sight.

You must have some horrible connection if ads are slowing it down.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    yeah, it's not just the ads, but it was a discussion we had where I said that once a website was loaded, it didn't have any network traffic. my brother then replied that ads communicate as well.

as for downloads: I've got twitter open at all times, but I doubt that's much bandwidth. and I follow several series on youtube: totalbiscuit mailboxes and WTF is; OMFGCATA, but only some of their vids (like, not the saint's row 3 ones), Bluexephos, SoI, adventure maps, tekkit; Yogscast Duncan: tekkit and some other; FPSrussia, EpicMealTime, Mionelol, some smaller channels. apart from that, i don't have that many big downloads per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    With adblock in firefox, they're blocked entirely and will consume 0 bandwidth.

With adblock in chrome, they'll still load and consume bandwidth, they're just hidden out of sight.
    I've experienced this the last time I installed Chrome over a year ago. The Chrome adblock is pretty terrible. On firefox, ad laden websites load, like yahoo, really really fast. Especially since ads load first.