How are they going to make 2 handers = dual wield?

Im mainly interested in 1.0.4 to see how they will make 2 handed weapons stand on equal ground with dual wield and not be worthless piles of garbage. Right now every monk or barb is dual wield and no one uses 2 handers. I dont even think if it came down to dual wielding 500 DPS weapons or using a 1500 DPS 2 hander that anyone would still go 2 handed. I wouldnt mind playing a Brostorm 2Handed WW build. But can they even make 2 handers not suck without completely overhauling the entire combat system? Or is the only answer just giving them unreal DPS stats like 1800-2200 DPS along with 500 Str/Dex, 300% crit Damage, 25% attack speed and 1500 LoH in order to make them equal to dual wielding?
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-15 at 04:47 PM.

Weeeeell if you saw Skorn overhaul you will know 2h will be BiS. 1500 dps, 192% crit dmg, socket, alot of dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Zf View Post
    Weeeeell if you saw Skorn overhaul you will know 2h will be BiS. 1500 dps, 192% crit dmg, socket, alot of dex.
    If you actually stopped to think about things you'd realize how far off base you are. There's a lot more factors than dps.

This is me comparing 2 made up weapons that still have room for improvement against your "BiS" Skorn.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&pli=1#gid=1

For those that don't want to click the spreadsheet link. My made up char would lose 27.5k dmg and 205.5k effective health.(to put that in perspective that's what most demon hunters have. )

@OP, We don't know the ceiling on primary stats, crit dmg, if it can have 2 sockets. However dots and stuff like that for example locust swarm which is based on a 2.0 aps even if you're slower than that would benefit greatly from a 2 hander. I would imagine for witch doctors 2 handers will be pretty good since they will be using less mana too.

Another downside to 2 handers is loh loses value while life steal does not. Which makes life steal stronger.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-08-15 at 06:18 PM.

Deleted
    they said somewhere (first bluepost bout 1.04 i think) they will change nearly all spells to buffs over a short time period so attackspeed doesnt matter anymore

something like
    spell do +50% dmg for 5 sec
    after 1.04 it dont give + 50% for 5 sec - it give OVER 5 sec

numbers are only to show what i mean

so weapon speed isnt important anymore - u can attack fast or slow and the spell make always same dmg

thx

edit: found it

On the topic of two-handers, we’re also changing how damage is calculated on a few damage-over-time skills. Many skills have text like “Deals 75% weapon damage for 5 seconds”, which isn’t exactly clear as it can be interpreted a few different ways. It also made skill evaluation difficult, particularly for skills with long durations or cooldowns. We’re switching a lot of these skills to read “X% weapon damage over 5 seconds”. Many skills already follow this format, and understanding what the skill does is very clear. As the skills are converted there is an additional opportunity: when converting to this format, choosing a value for X depends on your weapon speed. So what we’ve done in most cases is assumed a high attack speed (at least 2.0 attacks per second), chosen a value of X, and then in many cases bumped the value even higher. A skill that currently does 75% weapon damage for 5 seconds, with a 2.0 speed weapon, will convert to at least 750% weapon damage over 5 seconds. The skill becomes easier to understand, is a small buff for most one-hand builds, and a big buff for two-hand builds.
    Last edited by mmoc6f3817dca5; 2012-08-15 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    they said somewhere (first bluepost bout 1.04 i think) they will change nearly all spells to buffs over a short time period so attackspeed doesnt matter anymore

something like
    spell do +50% wep dmg per hit
    after 1.04 it dont give + 50% per hit - it give 5 sec 25% more dmg

numbers are only to show what i mean

so weapon speed isnt important anymore - u can attack fast or slow and the spell make always same dmg

thx
    First you misread. What I said remains true 2handers scale much better with any dots especially ones with cooldowns. Also you do realize you're forgetting things like sweeping winds - cyclone. These types of abilities will always scale with attack speed as it's a proc based on hits.So please don't speak in absolutes unless you're absolutely sure.

Here's the quote you were referring to and most likely misunderstood

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We’re switching a lot of these skills to read “X% weapon damage over 5 seconds”. Many skills already follow this format, and understanding what the skill does is very clear. As the skills are converted there is an additional opportunity: when converting to this format, choosing a value for X depends on your weapon speed. So what we’ve done in most cases is assumed a high attack speed (at least 2.0 attacks per second), chosen a value of X, and then in many cases bumped the value even higher. A skill that currently does 75% weapon damage for 5 seconds, with a 2.0 speed weapon, will convert to at least 750% weapon damage over 5 seconds. The skill becomes easier to understand, is a small buff for most one-hand builds, and a big buff for two-hand builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, at least for monk, even if the dps is the same as two weapons, the spirit generation is the problem, and therefore, attack speed is the big deal. But they said they were adding special affixes for two handers, right? Attack speed won't do it, they're still too slow, but maybe some type of extra generation for melee. Casters...I don't know.

Deleted
    @Riptide i edited while you posted^^ so we both right - k?^^

@pendulous - i guess they will change spirit for monk not more per hit but over time

you hit mob now and get maby 5 spirit
    you hit mob after 1.04 you get 25 spirit over 5 sec

so 2h for monk will be ok too but we will see

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    @Riptide i edited while you posted^^ so we both right - k?^^

@pendulous - i guess they will change spirit for monk not more per hit but over time

you hit mob now and get maby 5 spirit
    you hit mob after 1.04 you get 25 spirit over 5 sec

so 2h for monk will be ok too but we will see
    Well, to be fair, there's that thing that gives monks extra generation with a two-hander. They intend to balance everything, so maybe that will be viable come the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, to be fair, there's that thing that gives monks extra generation with a two-hander. They intend to balance everything, so maybe that will be viable come the patch.

Even with that passive you still generate spirit at a snail's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yea, I could see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Even with that passive you still generate spirit at a snail's pace.
    I agree but they may buff it and in addition to that, they acknowledged that fury was mostly a pointless resource for a barb. Maybe the realize that spirit is too precious for a monk. I expect to see generators give more spirit or spenders cost less. I'd prefer spenders costing less though.