Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    So... An apartment complex is beneath you and your parents? You're too good for paying rent?

You, random person on the internet, are spoilt.

To be honest, even considering such a line of thought sounds like greed to me.
    I live in Australia in an suburb where all the houses are huge and 5-6+ bedrooms is average. The average size house here is like 5 times the size of an average European home. The surrounding suburbs are all mostly like this. The average house price is $800-1 million AUS dollars, which is pretty much the same as the USD right now. This is the lifestyle my entire family and extended family has grown up around. There are literally no apartment complexes here, the only thing close to that are 3-4 bedroom town houses which are rented out. My parents would have to move away from here, away from everything they know/lived with the past half a century. You don't work all your life to go from the good life in nice areas to having to move to crappy neighborhoods full of lower class people living in smelly apartments.

Not being nasty, but I've been seen a few apartments in that my friends have moved into, and they're all smelling of cigarettes and cat pee and there's always foot marks on the walls and gang-signs or faggity tags on the walls in those places. Fuck that lol.
    Last edited by Sussex; 2012-08-16 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    Im not relying on inheritance. Im just saying. If my parents were in the position they were in. My future would be much much more secure.

Example. If my parents didnt have to sell their house and start renting, they would of had paid off their old house by now. So they wouldn't have a mortgage or rent. Not only that but they would have given myself and my sister the money they inherit from their parents. (this was actually the original plan, before shit hit the fan)

Id be $350-400k+ more well off in the next 10 years if/when my grand parents were pass away (they're 78-85 now, so maybe even less) IF my parents didnt need that money.

But now that's not going to happen, I'll be waiting another 30+ years before I see any sort of wealth from inheritance. Just saying! not having a sook. Just seeing how slight economic and unforeseen circumstances can hold you back a lifetime. In this case, I could have had my own property paid off in a single hit when im in my mid 30s...but i'll be waiting until my 50s at least now before that happens. Paying off my house in the mid 30s would have made my life so much more easier and relaxed. Thats all im saying, don't get yer nickers in a knot!
    I'm confused, where do you live that your parents are making 150k a year and can't afford a house? Also never ever rely on others only yourself when it comes to money, just worry about yourself for now and focus on getting a good job and if you haven't been to college consider what you want your career to be.

Edit: just saw your post, it sounds like you need to move to a more financially acceptable area within your parents means. Also nothing is beneath you in terms or money and where you live. Honestly if your parents don't move to somewhere more affordable they're screwing themselves.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2012-08-16 at 07:44 AM.

Money isn't worth hoping your Parent / Grandparents die. Be happy and spend time with them while they are alive.

Green paper is never worth more than Family.

Wow, talk about spoiled attitude...
    You're actually hoping you're grandparents pass away? Are you serious? Why don't you just go mug some random people (who obviously didn't earn their money fairly), or rob a bank for some of your well deserved cash. Or better yet, how about you help them pass away? And afterwards, your parents too, so that way you get all that money for yourself like you deserve. That's where you're headed with an attitude like yours. Prison.

I just can't imagine... I mean you all seem like you need to learn to live within your means. You all had a nice life thus far, but apparently can't afford that lifestyle anymore. You all need to come to terms with that and adjust. Just because that's what your parent have been use to does not make one bit of difference. As for you not getting anything later, well to be honest all I can say to that is suck it up buttercup. There are millions of people worse off then you. Life isn't fair, apparently even for the wealthy. Hopefully this will come as a lesson not to count your chickens before they've hatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    I live in Australia in an suburb where all the houses are huge and 5-6+ bedrooms is average. The average size house here is like 5 times the size of an average European home. The surrounding suburbs are all mostly like this. The average house price is $800-1 million AUS dollars, which is pretty much the same as the USD right now. This is the lifestyle my entire family and extended family has grown up around. There are literally no apartment complexes here, the only thing close to that are 3-4 bedroom town houses which are rented out. My parents would have to move away from here, away from everything they know/lived with the past half a century. You don't work all your life to go from the good life in nice areas to having to move to crappy neighborhoods full of lower class people living in smelly apartments.

Not being nasty, but I've been seen a few apartments in that my friends have moved into, and they're all smelling of cigarettes and cat pee and there's always foot marks on the walls and gang-signs or faggity tags on the walls in those places. Fuck that lol.
    Yeah, well... I live in a Dutch... Ghetto, really. There's gang-signs, of course, and the staircase and cellars do indeed smell of pee.
    However: My apartment is lovely. I painted it myself, did most of the woodwork restoration myself, I've got a wooden floor... It's luxurious in its own right. And not because I was able to afford much luxury, but because I was able to make it. Most of my stuff is second-hand; things other people didn't need/want anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

So yeah; the average Australian home could be five or six times the size of the average Dutch home. Probably. And you're used to that. Okay, gotcha. However, if you'd rather your grandparents DIE than make a lifestyle change, you're still spoilt shitless. If you feel that you're losing so much by adjusting your life to the standards you can actually afford, then you're spoilt shitless. If you refuse to adjust your lifestyle to the standards you can actually afford... Well; 'spoilt' is just simply no longer applicable.

As for 'lower class people:' Why thank you. As I said, I live in a ghetto-like neighbourhood. I've also got a Master's. Does my degree negate my 'lower class?' Or does my income decide my 'class?' Or could we just acknowledge that the entire idea of 'class' is silly, redundant, incredibly prejudiced, and smacking of the India-style Castes, enabling a system of fundamental inequality based solely on monetary income?

You should probably live a little, you know.
    Last edited by Stir; 2012-08-16 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    I wont be having any inheritance since my parents are "poor" and il be making about 6-10 times more than them But your situation boggles me. My folks live in a 30k renovated apartment near the sea with their own garden as a hobby and are quite content. Dont you think your parents should be thinking abit more realistically?

10+ Year Old Account
    Diddums, welcome to the real world. Some of us won't get any inheritance ever and you're whining because you might not get some because your parents need it to buy a house? awesome..