Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Blademaster FoxCroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific Coast
    Posts
    47

    How will your guild handle representation?

    How is your guild going to handle members who represent and members who don't represent?

    Further:

    Are you going to use separate ranks or more beneficial ranks? Give em a pat on the back? Not give a rat's hindquarters?

    If it is integrated into your policies, how are you going to moderate it? I know there is a little square you can look at on the roster, but no one wants to be on square patrol all the time.
    Last edited by FoxCroft; 2012-08-15 at 01:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Well, there certainly won't be any taxation without it!

  3. #3
    My guild is basically only going to be a chat room for me and my friends and any of their friends that want to join, so they can do anything they want.

  4. #4
    Blademaster FoxCroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific Coast
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy View Post
    Well, there certainly won't be any taxation without it!
    lol helpful

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy View Post
    Well, there certainly won't be any taxation without it!
    hehe. i liked that

  6. #6
    I don't have a guild. Im going to find one after launch, pre-made guilds I don't have much against it but I rather find a new community to join when the game launches, if friends play the game with me, they can join the same.

    But I've heard alot of guilds going "We want you to only represent us at all times." kinda police. which sux.

    I will probably join quite a lot of guilds, see the ones I like the best and probably keep 2 or 3 for different purposes.

  7. #7
    Blademaster FoxCroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific Coast
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I don't have a guild. Im going to find one after launch, pre-made guilds I don't have much against it but I rather find a new community to join when the game launches, if friends play the game with me, they can join the same.

    But I've heard alot of guilds going "We want you to only represent us at all times." kinda police. which sux.

    I will probably join quite a lot of guilds, see the ones I like the best and probably keep 2 or 3 for different purposes.
    That's a good idea. I am not a fan of 100 here or there either, I feel it can be alienating to the member. Thanks

  8. #8
    Nah.

    I'm not planning on joining any guild that does the whole cultish "represent us and recruit 10 friends and be on from 10:00 ~ 12:00 wearing your tabard in the main city". Those guilds wind up being regarded as scrubs typically because they put so much time into trying to be seen, rather than in just being worthwhile people to hang around. My brother and I are both high-profile, high-rating players in other games (Diamond SC2 pre-masters, world 7 2-day guild in WoW, top 50 ELO MTG 2010, etc) so we let guilds come to us, and frankly we care more about them being cool people than them being "super elitist awesome with airbrushed logos".

    We'll both be doing WvW pvp at the pre-launch, so we'll just see what guilds emerge as being the most active on our servers in the WvW scene, and help those guilds out in the long run.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by subrosian View Post
    Nah.

    I'm not planning on joining any guild that does the whole cultish "represent us and recruit 10 friends and be on from 10:00 ~ 12:00 wearing your tabard in the main city". Those guilds wind up being regarded as scrubs typically because they put so much time into trying to be seen, rather than in just being worthwhile people to hang around. My brother and I are both high-profile, high-rating players in other games (Diamond SC2 pre-masters, world 7 2-day guild in WoW, top 50 ELO MTG 2010, etc) so we let guilds come to us, and frankly we care more about them being cool people than them being "super elitist awesome with airbrushed logos".

    We'll both be doing WvW pvp at the pre-launch, so we'll just see what guilds emerge as being the most active on our servers in the WvW scene, and help those guilds out in the long run.
    What are you saying "nah" to?

  10. #10
    Our guild's policy will be basically that a member is free to represent any guild they want whenever they want but if they are currently representing our guild, we will expect them to do things with their guildmates. After all, if you don't want to participate in any guild activities or do things with your guild, I have to question why you joined in the first place.

    I only have one major concern with being able to represent multiple guilds and that is that people will join a bunch of guilds to cherry pick crafting items from guild banks. I guarantee this will happen, the only question is how widespread it will be. I imagine I will have to put members that are in multiple guilds and representing other guilds most of the time in a rank slot that does not have guild bank access.

  11. #11
    Was thinking of applying to a guild, but think I'd rather just group up and find some folks that I really like and roll with that guild. Definitely not into the "represent us and recruit 10 friends and be on from 10:00 ~ 12:00 wearing your tabard in the main city" thing.

    Just want a family atmosphere with people who can be competitive without being jerks. Will be bouncing into MMO-C guild to chat it up/group also.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I don't have a guild. Im going to find one after launch, pre-made guilds I don't have much against it but I rather find a new community to join when the game launches, if friends play the game with me, they can join the same.

    But I've heard alot of guilds going "We want you to only represent us at all times." kinda police. which sux.

    I will probably join quite a lot of guilds, see the ones I like the best and probably keep 2 or 3 for different purposes.
    This is how I feel as well and I shall be doing the same. I think it's rather silly to be all "represent us at all times" How exactly are they going to enforce it? hire half the guild to stalk the other half? :P It's not like their's a little box beside someones name in the guild list that shows if they are or are not representing your guild.

    Ill probably try a few and see if there's one I like. Usually what I do is ill just randomly make a friend and tag along with them. But maybe if my friend's find a good guild ill just join that one since i have quite a few coming to guildwars 2

  13. #13
    My guild doesn't really care. They only ask that we represent them when playing with the guild, which is perfectly reasonable.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    My guild is basically only going to be a chat room for me and my friends and any of their friends that want to join, so they can do anything they want.
    Awesome, I find guilds who focus on social never have a shortage of people wanting to do different stuff together, which isn't always the case with guilds that focus on "results".

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bstap04 View Post
    What are you saying "nah" to?
    Putting up with people who are on power-trips. There will be thousands of new guilds getting created in GW2, most of them won't survive more than a few months due to leadership issues. The ones that survive won't care about "representation".

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengfulr3ap3r View Post
    This is how I feel as well and I shall be doing the same. I think it's rather silly to be all "represent us at all times" How exactly are they going to enforce it? hire half the guild to stalk the other half? :P It's not like their's a little box beside someones name in the guild list that shows if they are or are not representing your guild.
    Actually there is, at least for the guild master. One of my buddies in the last 4 hour stress test got bugged out and wasn't showing the guild in his guild list. I opened the list to see if he was there and it showed me that he was in fact in the guild still but it also told me he was online and not representing so that info is available to the GM at least.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Actually there is, at least for the guild master. One of my buddies in the last 4 hour stress test got bugged out and wasn't showing the guild in his guild list. I opened the list to see if he was there and it showed me that he was in fact in the guild still but it also told me he was online and not representing so that info is available to the GM at least.
    I did not know this. I stand corrected. But even still if a guild master or officer (assuming you can give them that privilege) can see it, it's not like they'll spend there entire time online staring at it. Specially with the rather huge guilds with 100+ members.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengfulr3ap3r View Post
    I did not know this. I stand corrected. But even still if a guild master or officer (assuming you can give them that privilege) can see it, it's not like they'll spend there entire time online staring at it. Specially with the rather huge guilds with 100+ members.
    I'm sure there will be some that do. I'm not going to be one of them.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Actually there is, at least for the guild master. One of my buddies in the last 4 hour stress test got bugged out and wasn't showing the guild in his guild list. I opened the list to see if he was there and it showed me that he was in fact in the guild still but it also told me he was online and not representing so that info is available to the GM at least.
    I'm pretty sure that actually that feature is for all. If you have joined the Guild USMC and you are currently even on another character playing with him (representing another guild or just roaming free), on the USMC roster you will appear "online" with the character you are on, and you can know if you are representing him or not. Unless they changed, but that was my experience in bwe1 and bwe2. I believe the reason for it was more like "Stay in touch with people". But I could be wrong.

    Yeah, guild with "just represent us" are bound to be too tight, might even work but it's not for me. I feel like the community in gw2 is worth meddling with XD, so I was actually thinking of making my own guild to help people too, but I might do that after a few months of experience !

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    I'm sure there will be some that do. I'm not going to be one of them.
    Me either, And I most likely won't be in a guild like that to begin with. My personality is rather abrasive when it comes to someone telling me how to spend my time in game and bossing me around like im a slave or something. I joined a guild.. I didn't sign a contract saying "my time belongs to you" :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I'm pretty sure that actually that feature is for all. If you have joined the Guild USMC and you are currently even on another character playing with him (representing another guild or just roaming free), on the USMC roster you will appear "online" with the character you are on, and you can know if you are representing him or not. Unless they changed, but that was my experience in bwe1 and bwe2. I believe the reason for it was more like "Stay in touch with people". But I could be wrong.

    Yeah, guild with "just represent us" are bound to be too tight, might even work but it's not for me. I feel like the community in gw2 is worth meddling with XD, so I was actually thinking of making my own guild to help people too, but I might do that after a few months of experience !
    It'll probably work for some, But most im guessing won't. I could understand switching which guild you're representing based on situation thought. Eg if i'm in guilds x and y. But i'm in a group with y and im pvping with them or what not. It would only be fair, in my opinion, to represent the guild you're doing stuff with. While your out and about on your own? Just rep which ever one you like the most. I can see most people treating it like that honesty instead of feeling bound to only rep a certain guild.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •