Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, this expansion is not about the pandarian fighting the horde / alliance that invade their home. The Cinematic implied that we would be fighting the pandarian, not playing the pandarian and fighting the opposing faction.
    Actually, we won't be playing Pandarians. The Pandaren we play are not from Pandaria, they are from the Wandering Isle.

Overall an excellent cinematic. Love the orc - human battle...love the landscape, the graphics are top notch and I really like the new work done on the WoW logo. The 3D effect is a small change. Also, gotta love the music used. Really sets the tone well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leowyld View Post
    Actually, we won't be playing Pandarians. The Pandaren we play are not from Pandaria, they are from the Wandering Isle.
    And yet we arent fighting pandarians of either kind.

This trailer is just showing us how the balance of PVP Monk VS anything is going to feel for the next couple of years lol. Looks great though just a little too playful for my blood

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    As many others said, it's a childish video for a childish expansion. It's a matter of fact, really. Now, don't even jump on this, because it's useless. The style, the plot, the characters: it's all clearly very Disney-inspired. And that's technically very good: Disney is a succesful company, very professional, makes great products. For kids. Most adults can also enjoy them as well from time to time, sure, that's fine, go for it. But don't deny what's evident and stop trashing those who say how things are.

The only more humorous thing here is that someone is actually trying to argue that the video is so metaphorical and deep that someone isn't understanding it. Now, next time come and tell us that we don't get Winny the Pooh because there's a huge metaphor we are missing... Listen, we perfectly know that they are trying to depict the conflict between Horde and Alliance, etc. We know it, ok? It's just that such a conflict at this point is depicted in such a comedy tone and with such a childish visual language that we just can't care less about it anymore, is it clear now? You cannot just say that a movie is about war to make it interesting to everyone who is into war-fiction. There are movies about war for kids and there are movies about war for adults. This was clearly like a movie for kids. That's it.

You still like it? Fine, go for it. But deal with the fact that there's also plenty of people who are fed up of this. And yes, they are perfectly entitled to say it, to post it here and to be enraged about a game they used to be different, a game they liked immensely and played a lot. The Warcraft franchise was always about mixing darker themes and some comic relief. Now they have clearly left behind the first part in favour of the second. Their marketing office probably rightly adviced them to do so, fine. But stop denying it or trashing "the haters". We are not "the haters", we are people who probably played WoW much longer than you. But we are now extremaly unhappy, we are providing sound reasons to be unhappy and we are thus entitled to say that we are unhappy by this product. Period. Thank you. Bye bye.
    Extremely well put.

It is what it is and opinions are just opinions, all of precisely equal value depending on your standpoint, there is no room for right or wrong in the equation.

Speaking personally I am still going to buy MoP and play the game to see if I still continue to like it despite the obvious shift in demographic, hopefully there will still be enough in it to keep me playing for yet another expac. If there isn't then that's fine too, everything must come to an end and for me being a player in a Disney/Pixar Dreamworks inspired theme park (if that's the way the game indeed does go) holds no attraction whatsoever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    I still dont understand why it had a pandarian beating up/trying to stop the fight. It was great until that point.

Whats the message, that we will be fighting pandarian? Sorry pandas, you joined the alliance/horde, and you fight for them. On your own land.

This expansion was about total war horde v alliance, and that war crashing over the pandarian continent, and the first half of this showed that well, the second half? It was entirely counter to what this expansion is about.
    Not really.

The expansion is about the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde. The Pandaren got unwittingly dragged into it when those ships destroyed each other and the Humans and Orcs ended up in Pandaria.

The Pandaren are trying to find their place in amongst all of this and bring balance to it - teaching the Alliance and Horde in the process to set aside their differences and teach them the ways of their culture. Some join the Alliance, some join the Horde - but throughout the land of Pandaria there's plent of Pandaren who do not join either and really could not give two hoots about who is right and wrong only that you stop defiling their land and that if they weren't so blinded by their hatred for one another they would see the beauty in the world around them that they are destroying with their factional warfare. This is what's illustrated in the cinematic - as well as the potential gawping at the resources that might be hidden in Pandaria.

Ultimately this all comes to fruition when the necessity for a unified assault on Garrosh arises - we'll see what happens after that. Will Varian pull another Battle of the Undercity stunt? Will temporary alliances be ditched in favour of murder in cold blood? We shall see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you not done Shado-Pan Monastery on beta?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    excuse you, but the valid point being made is that of illidan, lich king and deathwing, hell even nefarian. And then some peaceful disney pandas that we cant tell that like war or peace? Do you see some sort of pattern here? thats the point people are amazed at. hell id be all for pandaria and its powerful enemies if it were portrayed in that menacing manner... however this expansion is based on a different angle to all the last content that came before it..

you sir need to stop defending what you dont understand.
    Side Note: Nefarian > Better than Deathwing

>Disney Pandas
    -Orc and human wander in, and start thrashing each other. They start destroying some old pieces of nature/scenery(May have been sacred?). Human hits the bell during scuffle, panda is alerted. Panda shows up to watch the two from the mists, notices they're fucking up their things. Panda doesn't fight them to be 'war or peace', he's fighting them to get them to stop being stupid for five seconds, and to look at what they're destroying around them. He 'clears the mist' around them, so to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either kind? There is only one thing that is called a Pandarian, someone who is a resident of Pandaria. Pandaren is a different word.
    Last edited by Leowyld; 2012-08-16 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Aye that is evident when he got a smirk on his face when the human gave the orc a weapon. The whole point of Chen fighting was to break up the fight, even then Chen never used anything that would be remotely lethal. Just wore both of them down far enough that they could see what was really around them and stop the childish bickering between them.
    Except this is counter to the whole idea of the expansion, that the childish bickering does not stop, it increases. This is supposed to be total war, not "total war until 30 seconds in, where pandas stop the fighting".

The panda in the video should have been looking at the fight in horror, afraid for what the invaders would bring upon his homeland.

Sorry, this expansion is not about the pandarian fighting the horde / alliance that invade their home. The Cinematic implied that we would be fighting the pandarian, not playing the pandarian and fighting the opposing faction.
    That would make sense if you stop watching right after Chen joined the fight. By the end the orc and human were on the ground, completely exausted. If the cinematic was implying that the pandaren were going to be the enemy he would have finished them off at that point. Instead Chen lifted the fog that was around the area, revealing the village. He then picked up his keg with the staff. How does that imply pandaren hostility towards the horde and alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    excuse you, but the valid point being made is that of illidan, lich king and deathwing, hell even nefarian. And then some peaceful disney pandas that we cant tell that like war or peace? Do you see some sort of pattern here? thats the point people are amazed at. hell id be all for pandaria and its powerful enemies if it were portrayed in that menacing manner... however this expansion is based on a different angle to all the last content that came before it..

you sir need to stop defending what you dont understand.
    its actually very easy to see, its about both... the horde and alliance war and the pandaren trying to hold the balance, and utterly failing once the horde and alliance warships and tanks arrive in patch 5.1.

the pandaren have NEVER liked war ever, they will always choose peace if it is an option however they are not cowards if they have to fight they will, but unlike horde and alliance they dont fight out of hate and rage they fight out of necessity and fun, if you have to fight you might as well have fun doing it. if you couldnt see that you must not have read much of the info blizz has given out about the pandaren or played much of the beta
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    A cinematic makes you want to quit? Really? That's like starting a book that you think is great, go read the blurb on the back, turn around and go, "Naw man, this book is bad now, I'm gonna go read Fifty Shades of Grey".
    It's more like, hope that movie sequel is gonna be great... then you see the trailer and ... uh... decide to wait until it gets on cable... like Prometheus?

Derrr... Did you know that the start of the expansion actually isn't about war? And that that's been explained at Blizzcon? And that this is actually about Pandaria / Pandaren?
    and did you know that warcraft main theme is fight between orcs and humans? or as of w3 and onwards horde and alliance?
    And then again, since when disney comedy is required in order to present pandaria?

You do know that the island of Pandaria and its story are only in the boxed game right? like the rest of the story including the horde vs alliance are in patch 5.1 and beyond.
    Also im guessing you missed the first minute of the trailer.......
    Yeah the minute that actually felt pretty good and showed what warcraft is about... unfortunately then comes the panda and destroys any good feeling there might be after seeing human and orc beating eachother...

What i meant is that, so far there is no big bad ass villain which therefor mean that the trailer wont be up where WoTLK and Cataclysm was when it comes to be bad ass.
    Instead its all about the fight between the Horde and Allians, which the trailer showed very well
    Yeah... go watch vanilla wow trailer, there was no main villian either and yet i felt confilct there... here i see it for first minute until whole trailer turns into comedy... only thing lacking is sitcom laughs really..

My favorite cinematic

What doesn't make sense is that the guy was using a SWORD to sharpen a piece of wood, why didn't he just use his sword to fight??? O _ o

Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    "I'm entitled because I played longer than you, so we are going to sit here and bitch about why we hate something that we shouldn't even really care about, if we don't like it."
    But you don't have to agree with why people post what they do, even if it comes off as irritating. Let alone the fact that you can't assume that the OP's reasons for "bitching" are as simple as you seem to think they are. Lots of people grew attached to the game as it used to be before Cata, Wrath, or whatever expansion it might be for them. What makes losing it so painful for many is that unlike other games where you can replay it, you can only hope that the next expansion of WoW retains all the things that you like in the previous one, otherwise you'll lose it forever. People who loved BC for its raiding were disappointed with Wrath because the ideology changed drastically. The same goes for people who preferred 40mans in classic and they will never experience something like they did then again. Where you are right now personally, presumably enjoying the game, is great and I hope you make the most of it. However, if you let two, say, four years pass and the game changes so that from your perspective things aren't like they were "back in the day", and you might feel just as disenfranchised as the people you fight against.
    Last edited by kizee94; 2012-08-16 at 06:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fs161200 View Post
    It's more like, hope that movie sequel is gonna be great... then you see the trailer and ... uh... decide to wait until it gets on cable... like Prometheus?
    Or The Dark Knight. Has the internet forgotten its rage when they found out Heath Ledger was the Joker? Actually...that's the perfect analogy. Read up on posts from when Heath was announced as the Joker and when people see video of MoP. Same logic, same arguments, same incorrect assumptions. Playing MoP is the most fun I've had with WoW since...I first started WoW 5.5 years ago. But basing an opinion of a game off of a video is pretty ignorant.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Vallius View Post
    I'm guessing you (like many here) need to be banged in the face with deliberate imagery to understand the subtlety of this trailer so I'll give this go to address your "where was the story of the expansion?" point. Everything you said after that was a matter of personal opinion that no one can debate because that's how you personally felt. Again, I honestly can't see how anyone could miss this but here goes.

0:00 - 1:59 - We see the alliance and the horde battling over sea and land, their conflict seems never ending. This means that we will see the conflict between the horde and alliance play a major part of this expansion. They fight it out for almost half the trailer! They discover a new land and even then the only thing they can think about is killing each other. Their physical actions are a metaphor (since you obviously missed that) for their conflict.

2:00 - End - Up until this point in the trailer, and by extension WoW as a whole, there have only been two major factions vying for supremacy, neither gaining the upper-hand. Both factions take blows but still fight on - but then a new fighter enters the ring, a new faction. The Pandaren did not attack them out-right, he merely staid their blows. This translates to the Pandaren being the wench between the factions. The Pandaren know little of war but they know how to fight and to defend. This 'Defense' concept plays out a lot in the trailer. The Monk does not attack directly, he merely suggests action with his defense, never trying to issue a killing blow. The Horde and Alliance soon realize that if they're to make any ground they must ally themselves to face this new threat as they have done at times before. However, this is still not enough to finish the fight. The Monk shows them why he is so strong, why he is what he is by showing them (and us) what it is he fights for. We see the discipline of the monks training on a precipice. We see the farmland and life that his people have created here and he will not stand for anything trying to end that existence. He sees that they understand, grabs his brew, and continues on his journey.

Get it now?

I'm not so defunct and devoid of intelligence that I can't recognize underlying tones and imagery; but everyone knows all the Horde and Alliance do are fight each other and then team up when a new threat comes by. Except the Pandaren aren't even the antagonists of the expansion, so having a 3rd faction (when it really is not a 3rd faction and more so a new race available to both) defeats the entire existence of them.

I felt nothing while I was watching this trailer, even having knowledge of the storyline and what's happening (thanks to many a friends and family in Beta) the only thought I could fathom was "Why am I still watching this? Is this supposed to make me want to go back and play?" Even with the Vanilla cinematic trailer I felt that war was indeed on the horizon and that it was time to prepare.

A cinematic should encompass an expansion, it should reveal the start and the end of the plot it is animating. And based upon this trailer what I gather is that the Horde and Alliance are going to be fighting (OMG *gasp*....NOT REALLY) and that the only thing I have to look forward to are them turning into tree hugging hippies because a bunch of bears showed them up in a ghetto version of fight club?

I broke myself from the hypnotist's gaze long away when I refused to buy Cata, refused to buy D3, and am currently refusing to buy any SC2 expansions. I'm glad that the genre (at least the devs and designers serious about it) are moving away from the "WoW clone" formula and going on what years of failed and now dead MMOs have taught us about what is a hit and what is a miss. Fortunately, all of the people who adore the hell out of the misses are still playing the game littered with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    saying wow is being made childish, esh... ffs there is a troll in the Jade forest that had his EYES ripped out and is spurting blood from the sockets while your talking to him.. how the hell can that be childish