Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Thanks OP

/10char
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-16 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    If 1k is a good enough sample size for 200 million Americans for voting polls, I'd say 8k is probably sufficient for GW2 pop.

I'd pull out the math, but eh, noone really cares.
    Allow me: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

I found that when I had to slap down a Ron Paul drone that swore the polls couldn't possibly be accurate because they only polled 1500 people or whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Allow me: <snip link>

I found that when I had to slap down a Ron Paul drone that swore the polls couldn't possibly be accurate because they only polled 1500 people or whatever.
    Tbh I'd say that 1500 is not enough by any stretch of the imagination enough to judge 200 million people by. I'd rest a better bet on anywhere between 5-10 thousand and they'd have to be from states of different varying political persuasions, or even better evenly spread across every state. Where did those 1500 people come from? Could've just been 1500 liberal elites over in Cali, could've been a bunch of Texans or some oblivious old people from Florida who don't know any better.

However 8000 is by far enough to judge the GW2 player base by. I'd like there to be a wider range of voters though, stretching beyond only Reddit + MMO champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Tbh I'd say that 1500 is not enough by any stretch of the imagination enough to judge 200 million people by. I'd rest a better bet on anywhere between 5-10 thousand and they'd have to be from states of different varying political persuasions, or even better evenly spread across every state. Where did those 1500 people come from? Could've just been 1500 liberal elites over in Cali, could've been a bunch of Texans or some oblivious old people from Florida who don't know any better.

However 8000 is by far enough to judge the GW2 player base by. I'd like there to be a wider range of voters though, stretching beyond only Reddit + MMO champ.
    Well, not to belabor the obvious, but clearly the sample size has to be unbiased, which is difficult to achieve. If the sample size is biased, rules go out of the window, but with true random selection, nationwide, 1k people provides a 3% margin of error for a population of 200m.

I really do fear my server won't have many people on it.

Deleted
    Unbanned Mif Is Unbanned ? Wooo Congratz anywho OT Looks like far Shiverpeaks will be a great place for me to live on Uk etc etc

also for the WWW hardcore players, if a server is getting destroyed, i can see people transferring there just for the challenge, i know i will...

Deleted
    All i know is, i'm going on a very high populated server. I was/am on blacktide during the beta and we're always heavily outnumbered and therefor don't stand a single chance in WvWvW.

Quote Originally Posted by wdh1974 View Post
    also for the WWW hardcore players, if a server is getting destroyed, i can see people transferring there just for the challenge, i know i will...
    As long as you remember that for the forseeable future - server matchups will be changing daily That could be alot of gems!

Total Voters: 14619

Still growing!

Riverside over Elona Reach? Usually it was always the other way round in the past.
    But there aren't that many german voters as yet. ^^
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

10+ Year Old Account
    Was originally going to go Yak's Bend (It was either for GW2Guru or this site, forget) but switched over to the Reddit server Isle of Janthir.

Seeing Yak's Bend now makes me only think of the horrors they will experience with being in Overflow pretty much all the time, along with WvW queues. But hey, at least they'll have a thriving community!
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2012-08-17 at 11:15 AM.

Go Go Tarnished Coast! I kind of want to stay there for release, usually the RP'ers get the job done. I had a lot of fun there during the betas, its always fun to RP it up sometimes.

Deleted
    We havent decided yet im my guild, but looking at this poll Seafarers Rest looks interesting.

Deleted
    Fissure of voe, i picked this server in the beta's just because i liked the name :>

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    In statistics, you have to assume the sample is random. If it isn't, something was done wrong and therefore the results are not valid. That said, if you have a random sample size of 1500 people, it is large enough to represent 2 million people with a margin of error between 2 and 3 percent. You can disagree with that but you would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I guess you don't know how statistics work. 8k is a very solid sample size.
    and neither do you, if you would want a solid sample of people you have to know the backgrounds to its evenly spread, male/female and other factors.

But the site does give a general idea of the people there.
    Last edited by Phoef; 2012-08-17 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    A sample size of 10,000 is standard for a survey with an error accuracy of 1%. So yeah, 8,000 is a good enough sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    As long as you remember that for the forseeable future - server matchups will be changing daily That could be alot of gems!
    As will be free server transfers. They said that on one of their recent posts about regions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticktox View Post
    8k isn't a small sample? Ok. lol.... when you compare it to how many are playing you get back to me.
    when you have obtained a basic knowledge of sampling get back to me.

You know you can predict elections based on sample sizes of about 1000 right?

Ok so this is not a representative sample, self selected elective samples never are, but for our purposes its pretty good.