SteelSeries Headset (speaker) Problem

I've had two Siberia v2 Headsets now.

One I had for one year, and the other I had for 6 months. Both of them got loose connections in their wires (I suppose), as one of the speakers don't work anymore. I honestly don't find myself doing anything to the wire, but still I keep getting loose connections.
    Also one would think that they could resist a pull now and then, due to the relatively high price of the product.

My question is, is this a common problem with this Headset Model, or am I just harsh to the wire? I'm getting pretty pissed that they break so fast, and I don't have a clue to fix them. (I'd rather fix them fast, than go to the shop and get the warrenty, though it looks like I have to do that)

Also, it just suddenly happens. This morning it worked just fine, and now one of the speakers don't work.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also had 2 pairs of these back in the day. Once when they were Icemat Siberia's and once when they were Steelseries branded. The quality never changed though unfortunately. I don't know if it's poor wiring or shoddy solder work but you aren't the first. The 2 things that go above the headstrap came loose once and almost stabbed me in the eye. They are awesome headphones with great bass for a gaming headset, but they are flaky at best.

Siberia = Awesome bass for games/music. Ear cover glue deteriorates and they generally fall apart over time.
    Steelseries 5h/5hv2 = Very tinny sounding, little to no bass, broke at the point where they fold (Never folded them) and the mic was horrible.
    Razer Carachias = Awesome sound, good mic, but sometimes have issues with the volume control switch which causes shorts in the left earphone (My current headset)
    Sennheiser PC151/320 = Awesome headsets, very reputable company and if I didnt break them due to my own negligence I'd probably still be using them.
    Logitech = Havent used any of the new models but everyone I know who uses them sounds very clear on the mic and they say the sound is good. Your mileage may vary.

In a nutshell, and not that any of this helps you but Sennheiser's are great, Logitechs people swear by. My headset (on my second currently) is the Razer Carachias, and while the sound is amazing sometimes you can get one with a bad volume switch. With this new one, I made it so I never have to adjust volume on the headset itself and everything is working great. I put ALOT of mileage on my headsets. Hopefully you can RMA it to Steelseries. Gl

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

Quote Originally Posted by Sentess View Post
    I've had two Siberia v2 Headsets now.

One I had for one year, and the other I had for 6 months. Both of them got loose connections in their wires (I suppose), as one of the speakers don't work anymore. I honestly don't find myself doing anything to the wire, but still I keep getting loose connections.
    Also one would think that they could resist a pull now and then, due to the relatively high price of the product.

My question is, is this a common problem with this Headset Model, or am I just harsh to the wire? I'm getting pretty pissed that they break so fast, and I don't have a clue to fix them. (I'd rather fix them fast, than go to the shop and get the warrenty, though it looks like I have to do that)

Also, it just suddenly happens. This morning it worked just fine, and now one of the speakers don't work.
    This is an extremely common issue with the Siberias. Either people find they work perfectly, regardless of treatment, or the microphone side speaker may suddenly stop working, even without rigorous amounts of usage. It's down to a bad wiring design, where the mic's slide in and out design causes it to catch on the copper wiring linked to the headphones. Sometimes putting the mic half way in and out can get the headset working again, but it's not a satisfactory way to use the headset. Honestly, I'd recommend moving onto a different brand.

Sounds like the wire came off. open it up and solder it back, should hold better.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I would not recommend moving on to a different brand (yes my motives will be blatantly revealed soon!).

First, I'd like to personally apologize for the multiple issues you've had with the SteelSeries Siberia. I realize the following doesn't apply in your case because you've experienced the issue first hand; but in the grand scheme of things, the headset is very reliable and has an extremely low failure rate overall. It is surprising to me that two units have failed, and we take each and every product failure seriously.
    I would suggest basic maintenance (for the users citing microphone issues as well), of not tugging the cables, or using a cable that is 'barely long enough' so that it is pulled constantly.

I'd like to get my hands on your defective unit and examine the issue so that we can determine potential improvements. If you want to reach out and get a replacement, please do so on our support page (go on SteelSeries website and click on the support link at the top). If you already had it replaced, just cite a ticket number and I'll have a look into it. If you have any trouble logging into our support page, PM me here (this goes for everyone that ever has an issue with a SteelSeries product!).

Thanks,
    Mike S
    Customer Service Manager; SteelSeries
    Last edited by SteelSeries-M; 2012-08-17 at 09:22 PM.

Same just happend to mine today
    The LEFT speaker(funnily enough the one the wires connect to) just doesnt work and everything comes from the right, tested multiple PCS etc and its sitll the same....
    been like this all day.. ONCE it came back for 30secounds then went..
    really dont understand .. had this Siberia a long time now.
    Mic still works
    @steelseries support guy-for mine i bought in a store in Madrid months ago and dont have the receipt anymore so I cant get a replacement?--live in UK
    Last edited by methwow; 2012-08-17 at 09:37 PM.

When I find the time, I will go to the store and get my warrenty. I suppose they will send the headset back to SteelSeries?

Yeah the thing is this just happens because the factory they assemble them at apparently doesnt have proper soldering tools. I Highly recommend that you just solder it back together, if your warranty has ended or if this problem repeats itself as far as the steelseries support guy - i strongly suggest the following improvements for your headset:

1. Make your cable removable and sell replacements.
    2. Assemble your headsets somewhere that actually has tools that arent bought from the 1-dollar shop and doesnt spare flux like it's made of gold.
    3. Get a legitimate original equipment manifacturer to make your transducer, say fostex.
    4. Add a second pair of interchangable earpads into the headset box and make spares available for purchase by themselves.

Then again, doing this only satisfies consumers and runs up spending by the company, so i doubt it would be profiable.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Doesn't happen often. Make sure you give the cable enough slack so that if you stand up, it doesn't snag

Also, we're more than happy to replace it for you via our RMA policy. You'll need to go through our website and support page though.

Mike S
    Customer Support Manager; SteelSeries

Deleted
    I personally had same kind of problem with my siberian headset. Right side speaker didn't work so I just hit the blackbox (with mute switch) to my chair and it fixed the problem. So maybe there is something wrong on that part of the siberian? I did this few times and now it has been working fine just 2 years now. Maybe you should try this out and see if it helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptah View Post
    I personally had same kind of problem with my siberian headset. Right side speaker didn't work so I just hit the blackbox (with mute switch) to my chair and it fixed the problem. So maybe there is something wrong on that part of the siberian? I did this few times and now it has been working fine just 2 years now. Maybe you should try this out and see if it helps.
    What exactly did you do? I'm lost in there.
    My right speaker just stopped working today so I do wanna know all th eoptions available before oppening it and check the wires.
    I have had the siberia v2 for less than 5 months and its giving me problems already.

My v2 worked over 2 years, but then the mic broke and now I have Sennheiser 360 awesome stuff. I guess you are like my brother, rolling over the cables with the chair etc ^^, it does not matter if a headset is cheap or expensive they will break if you pull the cables too much.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

Quote Originally Posted by fdsc29 View Post
    What exactly did you do? I'm lost in there.
    My right speaker just stopped working today so I do wanna know all th eoptions available before oppening it and check the wires.
    I have had the siberia v2 for less than 5 months and its giving me problems already.
    Just send it in for RMA.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Please do not necro threads that are almost a year old. If you have an issue, please open a new thread.