Is my graphics card dying?

Ever since about the end of May/start of June, my graphics have been...weird.

This ONLY happens when I'm gaming.

Randomly, my screen resolution will split. As in, the edge of my screen will now move to the middle of my screen, followed by some graphical distortion.

http://i48.tinypic.com/15cobhe.jpg

See how the mini map is on the left? Well, that should be on the bottom right

Also, it does this

http://i46.tinypic.com/dlonyc.jpg

I bought this computer back in April, and it's using an AMD 6850. All stock settings. I've been monitoring the temps and the highest it's gotten was 57c while playing EverQuest 2. It's never gone below that.

So back to my thread title. Is this directly related to my graphics card going down under?
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 2012-08-16 at 01:27 PM.

The 2nd pic is bad, very bad.

Have you tried other drivers etc? If you have, it's probably time to RMA it...

Yea I figured it wasn't the best thing to see when gaming. When I go to the Catalyst Control Center, it says my drivers are up to date, but going to AMD's website, it seems an update happened on 7/17/12 (current ones are from 6/12/12).

If it happens with these drivers, I'm most likely going to just go to best buy and buy an nvidia card...I don't care if its overpriced there haha.

edit

I keep getting an NSIS error when trying to install the driver.

Are you able to confirm that this IS a graphics card issue?
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 2012-08-16 at 01:43 PM.

Have you tried reconnecting the cable to your monitor? DVI cables can do some funky stuff to your screen if it isn't connected properly.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Hmmm... It sounds a bit like broken graphics card. But it might not be the problem.
    If you have HDMI cable and Full HD monitor, swap to it and try those games. Problem might be in your cable to monitor , eventually monitor itself.

I had once laptop with graphics problem similar to yours and it was problem of badly installed GPU on graphic card. (Service reflown it and it was ok)
    A little time later I had disortions similar to second pictures on another laptop - and in that case problem was faulty LCD
    And yet another case was image flipping - and it was broken VGA cable

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Have you tried reconnecting the cable to your monitor? DVI cables can do some funky stuff to your screen if it isn't connected properly.
    No I haven't tried that. I did bump my knee on my desk the other day, which shook my monitor and the screen split occurred.

Other times it won't happen at all, and it will just split and freak out.

And the thing is, its SO random. I went the other day without it happening at all (after I gave my PC a good dusting.). Next day it happened, I reset my computer, and it happened again within 20 minutes. (Again, this only happens when gaming...doesn't matter which game, it happens)
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 2012-08-16 at 01:48 PM.