Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people try to force themselves to like something, even worse when they don't like it they feel the world must know.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Actually, I played in the Betas.

6 answers and no "this game is not for you"?

Quote Originally Posted by MyschaSleddog View Post

I’m too old school.
    Bases on everything you wrote, I suspect that the opposite of this is true.

"Back in the day", we played games because they were fun. The ultimate point of GW2 is no different than it was in UO or DAoC.

If you approach with the mindset of "I want to play a game for fun" you'll get a lot further.

Some people need a carrot. I get that. If there's nothing to pursue that makes them better than the next guy, they have no interest. I know those people exist. And at the risk of repeating a phrase we've all grown tired of here, this game is simply not made for them. Plenty of other games already exist with that model. Feel free to play one of them, you won't get what you want out of GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by goal you mean running the same instance over and over months on end for a chance at a trinket which has a F all chance of dropping so you can do the content you want to do - thank you Arenanet! for not putting such a mind-numbing, brain-anesthesizing grind in the game
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    OP:

Game obviously isn't for you, if gear treadmill is your thing and it means the world to you I'd stay with all the other gear-grind MMOs. Word on the streets is that there's a Panda game of some sort coming out next month

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know, it's funny. When I picked up Assassin's Creed, I didn't complain about how Ratchet and Clank had more original and unique weapons. O_o

Nor did I complain about the art style of AC not matching Ratchet and Clank and that I liked Ratchet and Clank's art style better. (not that I did, just making a point)

I also didn't pick up Skyrim and then complain about how different skills and abilities were not used the same way as in WoW.

Different games are different.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-16 at 07:58 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    If by goal you mean running the same instance over and over months on end for a chance at a trinket which has a F all chance of dropping so you can do the content you want to do - thank you Arenanet! for not putting such a mind-numbing, brain-anesthesizing grind in the game
    He specificaly talked about PvP and WvW. He want's to pwn noobs because he has better gear, basicaly.
    Last edited by Azrok-; 2012-08-16 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MyschaSleddog View Post
    sPvP is really a glorified test dummy.
    Just wanna respond to this one specific line, btw: It's really not a glorified test dummy, unless you think facing off against human opponents that have access to all the same power than you do, while still differing in personal skill and build, describes fighting test dummies.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    if he wants to pwn noobs cause he has better gear there is an game called WoW he should try it out
    Last edited by mmoc796f4edb2b; 2012-08-16 at 08:03 PM.

GW2 is simply not for you. There are other excellent games out there which give you more then enough goals.

And btw, goal is what you make it to be. In real life there are no goals. Its your decision what to do. I, for once, welcome a casual-friendly (as opposed to EVE Online) game which treats me as an adult and does not push a bunch of chores into my face aka 'all cool kids have killed boss X Y times by now and have tier N armor!'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrok- View Post
    He specificaly talked about PvP and WvW. He want's to pwn noobs because he has better gear, basicaly.
    Oh, like this?
    http://i.imgur.com/qd7Uc.jpg
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I would agree with you, but really if I said that I would be argued against otherwise, because raids are expected to be a certain way because of WoW and MMOs like it.
    Absolutely, thats why i wouldnt call it a raid simply because most people would get completely the wrong idea. But even if we take WoW as the one that made the rules for what a raid is and isnt, they havent been very consistent.

-Raids can be instanced, or outdoor.
    -They can consist of one single encounter. Such as single-boss raids (Onyxia twice, Maggy) and world-bosses.
    -They dont require close-knit well coordinated groups, it can be complete strangers. Hello Raidfinder.
    -They dont even require a lot of people (just 10), looking at SWToR its as low as 8.
    -They dont even require max level. Look at vanilla WoW, there were sub-60 10man instances. Anything larger then 5man required a raidgroup.
    -An encounter doesnt have to consist of a single large boss, there is a lot of room for variation.

So the only rule that seems to apply is, a raid is an encounter that requires/is designed for 2x (or more) the amount of players that you can fit into a single group.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-16 at 08:03 PM.

Thread merged.

-- Fencers

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Awsome!! Now I an run the same five man dungeon over and over again to get a different looking piece of gear.
    I have to say it's so different from the old "mind-numbing, brain-anesthesizing grind" that had me run the same raid over and over to get a more powerful but only somtimes different looking piece of gear.

Thankyou Arenanet!
    Last edited by Glordif; 2012-08-16 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glordif View Post
    Awsome!! Now I an run the same five man dungeon over and over again to get a different looking piece of gear.
    No, you only run it again if you want to run it again. Worth noting: It's actually not a statistically tiny chance of that gear dropping, in GW2.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-16 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say it's so different from the old "mind-numbing, brain-anesthesizing grind" that had me run the same raid over and over to get a more powerful but only somtimes different looking piece of gear.

Thankyou Arenanet!
    Actually it is, since each 5 man dungeon has 3-4 different paths each with different DEs and bosses

10+ Year Old Account

Thankyou Arenanet!
    Thing is, I don't NEED that piece of gear to run the content I want to run - big diff there.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    No, you only run it again if you want to run it again. Worth noting: It's actually not a statistically tiny chance of that gear dropping, in GW2.
    I should add: you only run it again if you really want to run it again because you really want that one piece of nice looking gear, not because you need that damned one piece of gear that never drops but is a thousand times better than that one other you have.

I dont know why pvp gear has to have more power for players to feel rewarded. Dont you know you got that gear by being better than everyone else? Why does the gear have to Make you even better than everyone else as well?

Why do players play starcraft and starcraft 2? Clearly it isnt because their units get stronger the better league they are in right? No its because they enjoy facestomping other players because they are just that good, not because their league boosts their stats.