Quote Originally Posted by Nryka View Post
    Okay, got it. Thanks for that. Is there any ballpark figure I should aim for? It accounted for 25.5% of my damage last night on our first down of the Sha of Fear for instance.
    I haven't used the method much myself so I can't answer where I think you should be at. I just think this should be a better way to do it than just checking MG uptime since you'll be able to tell how good you are at actually maintaining your dots in terms of reacting to procs and powering them up with MG/DS/Haunt.

anyone tried playing around with high levels of haste? i was bored tonight and after looking at some logs i found 1 or 2 eu players running 12439 haste breakpoint, so i decided to play around with it myself. i simmed myself with my old setup of 7162 haste and 65% mastery and simmed reforge points in 5k either direction for haste to mastery/mastery to haste. simc said i was going to lose about 7k dps going to that ua breakpoint of 11895 (im a goblin) but i decided to go ahead with it anyway. enchanted haste on boots and gloves, full haste gems,and reforges done sitting at ~11900 haste and ~43% mastery i resimmed myself and only came in about 1100 dps lower then my previous sim, so dont know if i trust simc's #s anymore, but thats another topic.

so far im really liking it. I only did some testing in lfr's, ran logs and got 2x top 10 ranks going with this setup. i havnt used it yet on our heroic farm bosses yet, nor have i done a lot of multitarget fights, but it was fun having basically endless shards on single target fights. Anyone else given this a try?

Stacking haste is always fun but from my experience it forces too much life fapping so it's not an appealing playstyle to me at least.

Deleted
    it forces too much life fapping
    Whaaat ?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe a little off-topic, but is anyone else a bit worried about how nightfall scales with gear? i can see a point where we have more shards than we can spend most of the time due to such high levels of haste. having close to 100% uptime on haunt isnt going to be a bad thing regarding dps, but it will drastically reduce the skill cap of affli and make it much less fun to play. anyone think this is a legitimate concern?

I can't keep Haunt up 100% during BL as it is now so I really doubt we will ever reach that amount of haste. I'm only worried about Blizzard realizing how insane Affliction gear scaling is when it's too late and then make big nerfs that won't get readjusted, forcing us to go Demo/Destro completely.

Deleted
    Unless my memory is off nightfall is capped at 5shards/minute. What they mean exactly by that i don´t know but 100% uptime on haunt should be pretty impossible without DS on adds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thuras View Post
    Unless my memory is off nightfall is capped at 5shards/minute
    That is not correct, check amount of Nightfall procs in Windlord logs.

From logs, it seems that on average you need to produce about 18-20 corruption ticks to gain 1 shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    From logs, it seems that on average you need to produce about 18-20 corruption ticks to gain 1 shard.
    Makes sense since it has a 5% proc chance . Or do you mean that it's affected by other sources?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I can't keep Haunt up 100% during BL as it is now so I really doubt we will ever reach that amount of haste. I'm only worried about Blizzard realizing how insane Affliction gear scaling is when it's too late and then make big nerfs that won't get readjusted, forcing us to go Demo/Destro completely.
    good point. and yeah i worry about this too, but i always hope that they dont ever notice and we just own everything in T16

but seriously... when are the nerfs coming? and what will they be? do you think just a coefficient change on our spells?

Yeah if anything they will lower the overall damage. Except balance tweaking to start this week since they announced 5.2 coming in just two weeks.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    good point. and yeah i worry about this too, but i always hope that they dont ever notice and we just own everything in T16

but seriously... when are the nerfs coming? and what will they be? do you think just a coefficient change on our spells?
    My thought is that Blizzard will nerf the damage from the extra dot ticks our MG/DS produce. That way our single target damage will be brought more in line but we don't lose out so much on multi-dot fights.

I don't think the sac nerf was big enough to make the other options attractive, but I believe GC tweeted about adjusting the damage of Sup/Serv to make them more attractive.

The only thing I can say for certain is that we will find out relatively "soon".
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok i have another question. having played as a frost DK prior to MoP, i remember that we didnt use apparatus of kazgaroth during hero, because we would end up 'haste capped'. i just want to be sure that we cannot haste cap can we? i just got thinking about it because the new legendary meta gem will grant 30% haste. so with hero+DS+met gem thats a crazy ammount of haste!

There is no haste cap. We're already at a point where we have <1s GCDs (6637 Haste point + DS + Hero) but since we're not hardcasting very much during these windows (SB:SS, Haunt) and all our other damage scales with Haste that Haste's place in the secondary stat hierarchy won't change. What we'll probably see is that the value of Mastery goes up, as does Intellect's value.
    Last edited by Rustjive; 2013-02-12 at 06:52 PM.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was reading a thread the other day where random people were asked what the strongest classes/specs were in their PvE team and every other post said Affliction. Add to that I've seen GC say Affliction is high on damage a few times and I think we can expect bad things to happen, tbh. My hope is that if they do nerf Affliction, and over shoot it (like we know they are prone to do) that they then at least overbuff Demo/Destro unwittingly and we'll still have 1 good spec to play. I fear a situation like in 4.3 where we had 3 balanced specs and could choose what we want, but our damage wasn't anything to write home about, especially not on the fight(s) that mattered (Spine).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    There is no haste cap. We're already at a point where we have <1s GCDs (6637 Haste point + DS + Hero) but since we're not hardcasting very much during these windows (SB:SS, Haunt) and all our other damage scales with Haste that Haste's place in the secondary stat hierarchy won't change. What we'll probably see is that the value of Mastery goes up, as does Intellect's value.
    this is what i thought but i wanted to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I fear a situation like in 4.3 where we had 3 balanced specs and could choose what we want, but our damage wasn't anything to write home about, especially not on the fight(s) that mattered (Spine).
    Does anyone else understand my argument that if you're just plain out bad (especially as a pure class) with all your specs for 1 fight out of the tier, that equates to being bad for the entire tier? (in other words, glaring weaknesses as a pure spec equals a pretty bad thing).

The problem with over-nerfing affliction is its already pretty bad in PvP, and the only trump card it really has as a spec (it's heavily reliant on casting, offers almost no on-demand burst, and mediocre "controlled" damage) is its raw numbers. Over-nerfing that means it's just a dead spec, and you're really left with a 2-spec class.

Look, gang ... I play a Warlock and I love being able to bring as much as I can to the table for my guild, but the fact of the matter is that even Demo and Destro are performing better in real raids than most specs in heroic content:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Scor...11100000000000

And are about average in normal content:

I've been into serious (if never hardcore) raiding since about mid-Wrath and there's never been a point where we didn't have at least one very strong PVE spec (I can't speak for pvp at all).

I just think a lot of folks here are not prepared mentally for our inevitable turn as middle or lower tier with regard to output. There will always be a top, a middle, and a bottom ... and we've spent a long time at or near the top. I don't at all want us to slip from that spot but I don't want to see a mass re-roll exodus if it does happen -- having other good Warlocks to learn from ups the game of the rest of us who don't have the time luxury of being able to maintain multiple alts or re-roll.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    The problem with over-nerfing affliction is its already pretty bad in PvP, and the only trump card it really has as a spec (it's heavily reliant on casting, offers almost no on-demand burst, and mediocre "controlled" damage) is its raw numbers. Over-nerfing that means it's just a dead spec, and you're really left with a 2-spec class.
    Yep, I agree with Affliction being a pretty dead spec then. If Affliction loses the single target DPS battle, it will most likely get dropped in favour of Demo. Demo does pretty much as well in 2 target cleave, and better in AoE, meaning that if it wins or is very close on single target, people will just go Demo main spec, with Destro or Affli as off spec, depending on what the needs in 5.2 are.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I just think a lot of folks here are not prepared mentally for our inevitable turn as middle or lower tier with regard to output. There will always be a top, a middle, and a bottom ... and we've spent a long time at or near the top. I don't at all want us to slip from that spot but I don't want to see a mass re-roll exodus if it does happen -- having other good Warlocks to learn from ups the game of the rest of us who don't have the time luxury of being able to maintain multiple alts or re-roll.
    Meh, we'll just have to see what happens with the balance pass. I'm not lamenting anything yet, but I am pretty sure there will be changes to at least Affliction. We weren't bad in 4.3 at all, but we had a glaring hole when it came to the Spine fight. I've not seen such a hole in the fights so far from what I've been able to watch from 5.2 fights so we should be allright.

Deleted
    Wasn't Demo almost on par @Spine? I know Sparkuggz managed it very well.