... LastLast
    Noob post:

If I understand a basic rotation to begin a fight should be:
    1- curse of the elements
    2- Dark Soul
    3- Haunt
    4- SoulBurn
    5- Soul Swap
    6- Doom Guard(How do I use it in a macro? tried to use it in the castsequence using Summon Doomguard, but it seems that the macro reset always before the summoning)
    7- Malefic Grasp
    (At this time some procs should have occured)
    8- Haunt
    9- Agony
    10- Unstable Affliction
    11- Corruption

Does it works?

And in the middle of the fight:
    The Dots gets the buffs when they are already in the boss or when I use Haunt, Dark Soul, trinket, any proc... should I cast them again?

Quote Originally Posted by ponzio View Post
    Noob post:

If I understand a basic rotation to begin a fight should be:
    1- curse of the elements
    2- Dark Soul
    3- Haunt
    4- SoulBurn
    5- Soul Swap
    6- Doom Guard(How do I use it in a macro? tried to use it in the castsequence using Summon Doomguard, but it seems that the macro reset always before the summoning)
    7- Malefic Grasp
    (At this time some procs should have occured)
    8- Haunt
    9- Agony
    10- Unstable Affliction
    11- Corruption

Does it works?

And in the middle of the fight:
    The Dots gets the buffs when they are already in the boss or when I use Haunt, Dark Soul, trinket, any proc... should I cast them again?
    The reason your /summon Doomguard isn't working is because the way Doomguard/Infernal was changed. You now need to make the macro text be /cast Summon Doomguard because that is the actual name of the spell now, not just Doomguard. My opener macro for a fight is as follows:
    /cast Blood Fury
    /cast Dark Soul: Misery
    /cast Grimoire of Sacrifice
    ?cast Summon Doomguard (I have this on a separate macro containing the previous text if I know the summoning will occur at the start of the fight.)

As far as it pertains to DoTs having on-the-fly updating, I believe that all do except for Haunt now? Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% positive on that yet.

Do note that unless you have no other int/sp boosts you shouldn't be casting Doomguard that early in a fight. I recently leveled a second warlock with DMC:V as a starting trinket and I wait until both that and PT is up before I cast Doomguard. Then again I'm not an orc.

I wouldn't have it macro'ed anyway, but that's just me.

doomguard benefits from bloodlust and does more dmg at 20% or lower. although we cant really control lust(most usually lust at 30% if they do it later in the fight), it might be best to pop doomguard right before lust comes out.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    I wait until both that and PT is up before I cast Doomguard.
    Likely not the optimal way to do it, if just for reaction time. DG scales dynamically with your stats so there's no point in waiting at the start of the fight since DG duration > DMC:V/PT/Lightweave duration. The most important consideration is getting the full Lust/Potion duration for your DG.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    Likely not the optimal way to do it, if just for reaction time. DG scales dynamically with your stats so there's no point in waiting at the start of the fight since DG duration > DMC:V/PT/Lightweave duration. The most important consideration is getting the full Lust/Potion duration for your DG.
    I don't ever remember DG benefiting from haste (though I've just rerolled from elemental and may get mixed up with FE totem). If that's the case, I'd be a fool to wait. That said, PT/DMC usually proc before the end of Dark Soul. Why does DG duration matter?

Very rarely is lust popped at the beginning of a fight, only on Ultraxion.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2012-08-29 at 05:57 PM.

I don't ever remember DG benefiting from haste (though I've just rerolled from elemental and may get mixed up with FE totem). If that's the case, I'd be a fool to wait. That said, PT/DMC usually proc before the end of Dark Soul. Why does DG duration matter?

Very rarely is lust popped at the beginning of a fight, only on Ultraxion.
    DG benefitted from Haste in Cata, but only if it was Haste rating (like IotCM), not Haste percentage. In MoP though, DG does receive Hero haste benefit. I mention DG duration because it is far longer than DMC:V/LW/PT. Since your stats get updated dynamically there is no reason to wait - if you pop DG ASAP it will still likely encapsulate the entire duration of those buffs. The bigger issue is if you wait you are not receiving the full benefit of your pre-pot and Hero for your DG.

You are right in that Lust is rarely popped at the beginning of the fight, but if it is, you should pop DG. In addition, if the fight is long enough to get 2 DGs in with the T13 2pc, you should pop DG ASAP in the beginning for the pre-pot.
    Last edited by Rustjive; 2012-08-29 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    DG benefitted from Haste in Cata, but only if it was Haste rating (like IotCM), not Haste percentage. In MoP though, DG does receive Hero haste benefit. I mention DG duration because it is far longer than DMC:V/LW/PT. Since your stats get updated dynamically there is no reason to wait - if you pop DG ASAP it will still likely encapsulate the entire duration of those buffs. The bigger issue is if you wait you are not receiving the full benefit of your pre-pot and Hero for your DG.

You are right in that Lust is rarely popped at the beginning of the fight, but if it is, you should pop DG. In addition, if the fight is long enough to get 2 DGs in with the T13 2pc, you should pop DG ASAP in the beginning for the pre-pot.
    Thank you for the info. I must be really out of the loop because I always thought that the DG 'carried' the intellect for the entire duration. I am getting mixed up with my totem, definitely. So what you're saying is the DG 'picks up' the intellect when it's up but it dynamically 'checks' my stats during its duration. Am I correct? If so, you are absolutely right so thanks for polishing up my rusty lock knowledge!

Out of interest: are people burning all 4 shards close to the beginning (SB:SS, 3xhaunts spaced out to keep the buff up whilst procs are up) and then relying on shadow trance to reapply it? I'm doing this and on fights where there are no adds I'm finding my DPS drops quite a lot just because I'm waiting quite a while for a proc with no haunt up for periods of time.

If I keep a shard free I risk losing a haunt over the course of a fight...perhaps?

Edit: yet another question. I cast haunt directly before I SB:SS but the dots only benefit from haunt when it hits the target right? So is it worth MG for a couple of seconds to allow for flight time?
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2012-08-30 at 08:07 AM.

Thank you for the info. I must be really out of the loop because I always thought that the DG 'carried' the intellect for the entire duration. I am getting mixed up with my totem, definitely. So what you're saying is the DG 'picks up' the intellect when it's up but it dynamically 'checks' my stats during its duration. Am I correct? If so, you are absolutely right so thanks for polishing up my rusty lock knowledge!

Out of interest: are people burning all 4 shards close to the beginning (SB:SS, 3xhaunts spaced out to keep the buff up whilst procs are up) and then relying on shadow trance to reapply it? I'm doing this and on fights where there are no adds I'm finding my DPS drops quite a lot just because I'm waiting quite a while for a proc with no haunt up for periods of time.

If I keep a shard free I risk losing a haunt over the course of a fight...perhaps?

Edit: yet another question. I cast haunt directly before I SB:SS but the dots only benefit from haunt when it hits the target right? So is it worth MG for a couple of seconds to allow for flight time?
    Yeah you've got it - I explained the Doom Guard changes in the "extra tips" section. He updates dynamically with your stats now, so no need to wait for loads of procs before you summon him.

I would sit on 2 or 3 shards for the majority of the fight. Don't ever sit on 4. Use them during procs when you can and during Dark Soul, and the DPS peaks will compensate for dropping DPS when Haunt id won.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment, but I can't imagine your Haunt is taking so long to travel to the target that it's not on the target before your DoTs tick for the first time.

Anyone got a good macro for SB+SS? I many times feel I'm wasting soul shards by hitting my macro too fast which is currently a standard macro as follows.

#showtooltip Soulburn
    /cast Soulburn
    /cast Soul Swap

I'd like to have it at least not burning a soul shard on targets it can't apply the dots on (like start on Warmster if I hit SS too early on the flying mobs).
    Last edited by Bonkura; 2012-08-30 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment, but I can't imagine your Haunt is taking so long to travel to the target that it's not on the target before your DoTs tick for the first time.
    Ignore it, I realise I'm forgetting the important detail that dots don't tick at 0 seconds...

Thanks a lot for the advice otherwise. I'll check out the tips section.

Deleted
    I've only had an 85 lock for a couple of weeks so this might sound stupid.

I thought dots didn't snapshot stats anymore or is that just guardians etc? So why recast dots on int procs?
    Also if I make a mess of my shards and have none for haunt, then have to recast an expiring dot, should I refresthe dott again when I have Haunt up again or will the 25% buff apply to dots partway through their duration?
    Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the guide

Quote Originally Posted by stephenc87 View Post
    I've only had an 85 lock for a couple of weeks so this might sound stupid.

I thought dots didn't snapshot stats anymore or is that just guardians etc? So why recast dots on int procs?
    Also if I make a mess of my shards and have none for haunt, then have to recast an expiring dot, should I refresthe dott again when I have Haunt up again or will the 25% buff apply to dots partway through their duration?
    Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the guide
    Dots still snapshot your stats upon cast, and every time you refresh them.

Debuffs (including haunt) apply their effect automatically to existing DoTs, so you dont need to recast them.

Easiest way to remember is that after you cast a DoT, it "leaves" you and is now on the target. Effects on the target will obviously then affect the dots, but buffs you gain won't affect them beacuse they've left you - so you must recast for them to gain the new affect.
    Last edited by EvreliaGaming; 2012-08-30 at 02:53 PM.

Yeah you've got it - I explained the Doom Guard changes in the "extra tips" section. He updates dynamically with your stats now, so no need to wait for loads of procs before you summon him.

I would sit on 2 or 3 shards for the majority of the fight. Don't ever sit on 4. Use them during procs when you can and during Dark Soul, and the DPS peaks will compensate for dropping DPS when Haunt id won.
    so just to reiterate use haunts on dark soul and procs and during the non dark soul/proc times, dont reapply haunt and just stack shards(2-3) until a special occasion occurs?(lust/dark soul/procs/burn)
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Does anyone know a good dot timer that shows dot ticks? (preferably one that isn't Forte)

Does anyone know a good dot timer that shows dot ticks? (preferably one that isn't Forte)
    Sorry man, in my experience Forte is the best. So much customization as well as functionality.

I use Ellipsis. It's been updated for MoP. http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ellipsis

Thanks a lot. I'm currently using gnosis for cast bars (anyone know if quartz has updated for MG yet?) but I can't seem to work out how to make it do dot timers either (and whether they show ticks).

Quartz not updated yet, but I can see the ticks in elvui.

Deleted
    This question was answered earlier in the thread.

Regarding other classes, I have no idea. They probably didn't change. The only reason Warlocks changed was because Pandemic took the spot of a previously overpowered Glyph and they didn't seem to consider level 85.

You don't need Quartz or anything to test this. Just mouse over the ticking DoT on the enemy and you'll see that the maximum time doesn't ever increase past its original duration when you refresh it.
    This is incorrect on live. Simple enough to test: with the haste I have on atm (2,703) my corruption lasts 18.16 seconds and ticks every 1.65 seconds. First tick occurs 1.65 seconds after corruption is applied. So I get 11 ticks:

00.00 Corruption applied
    01.65 First tick
    16.51 Tenth tick
    18.16 Eleventh tick

If you re-apply corruption when there's less than 1.65 seconds left you don't clip the last tick, just like before the patch. You will get 22 ticks of corruption. It does increase to 19 seconds momentarily if you refresh it just after the 10th tick. In Cata dots ticked less frequently so there was more leeway to land the refresh between the penultimate and final tick, but mechanics wise nothing has changed with the refresh mechanic.

This is more obvious with doom from demo.
    Last edited by mmocf8c85ab6c6; 2012-09-01 at 12:17 AM.