Hello guys!
    I have a question regarding the wording on the 5.4 Corruption/Nightfall.
    Say you are fighting a boss, and have full dots on him. The "most recently applied Corruption" is on him (duh).
    Suddenly a low hp high prio add appears (take a healing add from Council in ToT for example), and you SS your dots to him. The "most recently applied Corruption" is now on the add (right?).
    The add dies pretty quick and your "most recently applied Corruption" ofc disppears when the add dies.
    Do i need to reapply Corruption on the boss for it to regen Shards for me again? Or does the game keep track of me only having one Corruption up and therefore regens Shards from that one?
    Thanks
    <Prepull> Frostmane EU
    Monk
    DK
    YouTube
    Twitch

will it be worth it to use drain soul as a filler on council type fights to keep haunt debuff up on all bosses?

Probably not, but alternating DS and haunt spam during execute seems to hit pretty hard. Harder at least than DS on its own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haw0kk View Post
    Hello guys!
    I have a question regarding the wording on the 5.4 Corruption/Nightfall.
    Say you are fighting a boss, and have full dots on him. The "most recently applied Corruption" is on him (duh).
    Suddenly a low hp high prio add appears (take a healing add from Council in ToT for example), and you SS your dots to him. The "most recently applied Corruption" is now on the add (right?).
    The add dies pretty quick and your "most recently applied Corruption" ofc disppears when the add dies.
    Do i need to reapply Corruption on the boss for it to regen Shards for me again? Or does the game keep track of me only having one Corruption up and therefore regens Shards from that one?
    Thanks
    You don't need to re-apply for that reason ever. As long as you have at least 1 Corruption ticking, you will be able to get Nightfall. In your scenario, it would revert to proccing off the boss as soon as the add dies.

On a different note, the new Nightfall mechanics might actually change how you use Corruption if you want to optimize completely. Say you have 3 targets (Protectors) and all 3 have the same dots, that you spread around with Soul Swap. Let's say those dots were cast with both your trinket procs, so ~2500-3000 intellect. Now if you get a meta gem proc, or any other haste buff, it would be worth it to replace one of the Corruptions. It might be a bit weaker than the previous Corruption, but ticking faster you will get much more Nightfall which is more valuable than the feeble dot that is Corruption.

Haste being very important to Corruption was already true in 5.3, but I feel with the new Nightfall we should be able to manipulate it a bit more. Of course this all is a relatively small gain, and I don't think you should try this until you are very comfortable with the basics of Affliction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fujiapples View Post
    will it be worth it to use drain soul as a filler on council type fights to keep haunt debuff up on all bosses?
    No, simply not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    Probably not, but alternating DS and haunt spam during execute seems to hit pretty hard. Harder at least than DS on its own.
    You are right. Haunt is better damage per cast time than DS, so the only reason you are using DS is to get more shards. Of course it's slightly better if you are able to unload Haunts during intellect procs, because obviously they will do more damage. During haste procs, on the other hand, DS gets more benefit, but never enough to overtake Haunt. So I would say

If you have any intellect proc, then unload all your shards in Haunt,
    Else DS up to 3 and then go back down to 1, repeating.

Of course you should try to end the fight with 0 shards in all cases.

OK I have a few questions about Affliction that hopefully the community can help me.

Now I really want to try and make Affliction work. I am coming from Destro and the rotation in Destro seems a bit easier.
    Basically everything I am reading states that Affliction is the go to spec for single target DPS.

So I my guild was able to down Immerseus in SoO tonight but the spec felt real clunky to me and I couldn't sustain a decent dps level. Now I have been using Affdots to help track my Dots and I use Tell me When for my buffs and Trinkets.

I current use this rotation:
    (prepot) Curse of the Elements -> Dark Soul: Misery -> Haunt -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp until all procs up -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp spam + Haunt maintenance

Now my ilvl is only 531 and my opener seems fine, usually in the high 240's starting mostly because all trinkets and pre-potting. But as the fight went on I was keeping track of the dots and applying Haunt when I could, and I eventually finished around 100k dps average which seems really low.

In Destro my average was about 140K sustained dps or higher depending on the fight. Is there something I am missing.

Here is my Mr. Robot profile. I reforged based on the 5.4 spec. ( Prior to this I was at the 9778 Haste Threshold while in raid and recently changed it to whats linked now )

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...e-6550c9bd9bce

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is Affliction AE, would that consist of SB/SS and then hitting SoC on the targets. I tried this but my AE seemed aweful, I mean really aweful compared to Destro.

Deleted
    So after reading roughly ten pages; Is MG and DS really that bad?
    Kind of makes me sad. ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsock View Post
    OK I have a few questions about Affliction that hopefully the community can help me.

Now I really want to try and make Affliction work. I am coming from Destro and the rotation in Destro seems a bit easier.
    Basically everything I am reading states that Affliction is the go to spec for single target DPS.

So I my guild was able to down Immerseus in SoO tonight but the spec felt real clunky to me and I couldn't sustain a decent dps level. Now I have been using Affdots to help track my Dots and I use Tell me When for my buffs and Trinkets.

I current use this rotation:
    (prepot) Curse of the Elements -> Dark Soul: Misery -> Haunt -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp until all procs up -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp spam + Haunt maintenance

Now my ilvl is only 531 and my opener seems fine, usually in the high 240's starting mostly because all trinkets and pre-potting. But as the fight went on I was keeping track of the dots and applying Haunt when I could, and I eventually finished around 100k dps average which seems really low.

In Destro my average was about 140K sustained dps or higher depending on the fight. Is there something I am missing.

Here is my Mr. Robot profile. I reforged based on the 5.4 spec. ( Prior to this I was at the 9778 Haste Threshold while in raid and recently changed it to whats linked now )

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...e-6550c9bd9bce

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is Affliction AE, would that consist of SB/SS and then hitting SoC on the targets. I tried this but my AE seemed aweful, I mean really aweful compared to Destro.
    Same to me... 119k average damage as affliction and 144k average as destro (was 160k before the 5.4).
    Playing destro I missed some CB because I moved myself during cast (sometimes I forget the KJC nerf) but even with this errors, destro was better than affliction all time. Whats is happening?
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biruta View Post
    Same to me... 119k average damage as affliction and 144k average as destro (was 160k before the 5.4).
    Playing destro I missed some CB because I moved myself during cast (sometimes I forget the KJC nerf) but even with this errors, destro was better than affliction all time. Whats is happening?
    I'd guess you're simply more comfortable with Destro than Affliction rather than something with the actual spec(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
    I'd guess you're simply more comfortable with Destro than Affliction rather than something with the actual spec(s).
    I'm playing affliction/destro since WOTLK, I'm comfortable with both specs... I really don't know what is happening
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Deleted
    Did some minor testing in flex this morning once servers went up. Sha of pride with mannoroths fury as affliction was nice, beat the demo lock by a good 30k (similar gear/skill). New soul swap on the pull for protectors was insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biruta View Post
    either you arent gearing correctly, or youre fucking up the rotation. Youre prob overwriting strong dots with weak dots too early etc. Im at 550 ilvl and im bursting to 950k-1mil dps with all CDs and lust at the start of a fight, and then depending on the fight doing 250-450k dps by the end of the fight ( 250k on immerseus, 400kish on protectors etc ).

What's the best way to use Soul Swap on a fight like Protectors?

On pull we lust and once I have all trinkets/CDs/procs up, I SB:SS to refresh with the strongest DoTs. Do I immediately then SS to another target, and then SS those dots to the third boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post

On pull we lust and once I have all trinkets/CDs/procs up, I SB:SS to refresh with the strongest DoTs. Do I immediately then SS to another target, and then SS those dots to the third boss?
    i don't know what would work better as the math was not done yet, but i think that you only would want to swap the empowered dots.

Deleted
    I'm not very good at setting up weakauras, does anyone have an aura for soul swap they'd like to share please? Just a simple thing tracking the time of the inhale buff.

Just a quick question maybe someones answered this already I'm not sure but. As afflic I'm curious about 2things. One I've been looking around at some early posts on gearing options and I'm not seeing anyone with 4pc, it it not worth getting for afflic? And also as far as stats go, I'm 550ilvl back in 5.3 i was resting at the 13k break, but after reading the haste being devalued with rppm and they buffed dots i changed back down to 9.8 so now im running around 10k haste (trying to stick with the 9.8 breakpoint) and roughly 17k mast raid buffed. Is there such thing as too much mastery or could i literally just go ballistic? And at what point should I drop a little mast to get back to the 13k haste break. And still have a good amount of mast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    I'm not very good at setting up weakauras, does anyone have an aura for soul swap they'd like to share please? Just a simple thing tracking the time of the inhale buff.
    Code:
    dWsCbaGlsXRvLAUaz2u5Beu7uK2lA3KSFa9tvv9xH63knukkdgGHlIdQk6yeAHQswkP0IjilhKhsr1tLESGNtvtuvPPsPjlQPR4IQkUSkxhuBgO2UQqFMiFNOgnf5WqojbULQGtd15PW0uvzyc52KQPiTSywbQ5GaJchibHv5b9uiSdpgXAxj4lUMq5v(lsfowpROMFAewJyeRoBMntlBg7tCiJoOWBplqaS(bfE7nBXQH18pP2pAzDlktll06oAz1HDdMwoC4WA8hmy)nm9bXOiwOtcVkRrYXIdRIfNz7c7acOYOe2bcljDq0YUYQ)kNbFXQq6NNwMkY2f2beqLrjCydW(z1JnHZh7G1VmhwfSUfcljDqEMkYg21LxzfFXHfrlBxyhqavgLWkqnheyu4ajiSkpONcHD4Xiw7kbFX1ekVYFrQWXH9rMk(lkIdja

Wondering this as well. I was personally doing usual pull on one boss then when Wush hits 10 stacks hit SB SS again and then SS that to 2nd boss and then SS from 2nd boss to 3rd boss.

I have a question of my own, is the AoE portion of the Aff guide still accurate? With multiple corruptions no longer giving additional soul shards and the new version of non SB SS.

Aff is not unlike a torque vs horsepower symbiotic curve for affliction in terms of haste and mastery where torque = mastery and haste = horsepower. The strength of a dot applied at a specific rate/speed for a total damage output result. Granted tick breakpoints make it a bit less linear but they are still not any end all/be all thing just a good rough spot to stop and focus on the other stat. You also have to think about how each impacts the damage and how you use the damage in fights. EG heavier multidotting favoring say 9778 haste > mastery with more single target favoring haste > mastery (or at least 13.7K haste > mastery).

I'm guessing at 550ilvl the 9778 haste mark is better and by the time you are closer to 560ilvl the 13.7K one is superior. In either case the 13.7K one isn't bad since we no longer get nightfall procs from MG corruption ticks where I'm pretty sure we did in 5.3's lifespan. Similarly we only get nightfall from the most recent corruption not from multidotting so that further reduces shards in a functional sense thus the extra tick at 13.7K ballpark helps shard generation > haunt uptime > overall damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strmstrike View Post
    Code:
    dWsCbaGlsXRvLAUaz2u5Beu7uK2lA3KSFa9tvv9xH63knukkdgGHlIdQk6yeAHQswkP0IjilhKhsr1tLESGNtvtuvPPsPjlQPR4IQkUSkxhuBgO2UQqFMiFNOgnf5WqojbULQGtd15PW0uvzyc52KQPiTSywbQ5GaJchibHv5b9uiSdpgXAxj4lUMq5v(lsfowpROMFAewJyeRoBMntlBg7tCiJoOWBplqaS(bfE7nBXQH18pP2pAzDlktll06oAz1HDdMwoC4WA8hmy)nm9bXOiwOtcVkRrYXIdRIfNz7c7acOYOe2bcljDq0YUYQ)kNbFXQq6NNwMkY2f2beqLrjCydW(z1JnHZh7G1VmhwfSUfcljDqEMkYg21LxzfFXHfrlBxyhqavgLWkqnheyu4ajiSkpONcHD4Xiw7kbFX1ekVYFrQWXH9rMk(lkIdja

Thanks, freaking kazzak queues made me lose this post before my raid, it would have been handy

Deleted

same question here

another one : if you have a good proc (wush+hydra for example), and 3 shard, you cast 3 haunt in a row then after MG (or refresh a dot then MG) ?

on adds do you cast haunt as a dmg spell without any dots (like a CB) to kill them fast , assuming dot wont tick as add will die very quickly ?