1. #341
    Yeah you're right about the prepot. What I had in mind first with the "~3s" and "~1.5s" was just to give the tank time to pull and not being too fast, but doing it the way you said is probably more practical than my suggestion.

    AFAIK CotE doesn't make your dots stronger. That damage is added if the debuff is there.

    What all this really comes down to IMO is the value of having Haunt up or not and the time of MG we get in. There's a shitload of factors to count in if we would sit down and try do the math behind it and I get a headache already by just thinking about it. Eventually I'll try give it a take but meanwhile I'll probably just stick to the SimCraft priority order because there's no other proper theorycrafting out there from what I can see, at least not here.

  2. #342
    Regarding the discussion about allowing maximum uptime for "supercharged" dots: Has somebody found some good way to track that? At the beginning of the fight it's quite easy as everything proccs/is used in a short time frame but during the fight you get additional proccs which don't alway line up with everything else and it's not that easy to keep track of everything. So I#m searching for some way to make tracking that easier.

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by realCool View Post
    Regarding the discussion about allowing maximum uptime for "supercharged" dots: Has somebody found some good way to track that? At the beginning of the fight it's quite easy as everything proccs/is used in a short time frame but during the fight you get additional proccs which don't alway line up with everything else and it's not that easy to keep track of everything. So I#m searching for some way to make tracking that easier.
    There are plenty of mods that allow you to track buffs/procs on yourself, some being: Elkano Buff bars (don't remember if that's the name or not haven't used it in awhile), ForteXorcist, any decent UI mod (LUI, elvUI, tukUI, etc.), and power auras. Power Auras is probably one of the best imo as it gives you a large visual cue on your screen letting you know when a buff is present (i.e., Power Torrent, Windsong [which is awful I know], DS, Blood Fury, etc).

    As far as actually SEEING the buff to your dot, it won't happen. I mean, if you can't mentally know that you have buffs a and b so you refresh dots and know that 15s later that buff drops so let your dots tick, then you may want to play another class.

  4. #344
    Quote Originally Posted by realCool View Post
    Regarding the discussion about allowing maximum uptime for "supercharged" dots: Has somebody found some good way to track that? At the beginning of the fight it's quite easy as everything proccs/is used in a short time frame but during the fight you get additional proccs which don't alway line up with everything else and it's not that easy to keep track of everything. So I#m searching for some way to make tracking that easier.
    You mean tracking procs? I've always had my procs display as icons with timers on top below my cast bar (in between unit frames). I'm just used to looking there so it's whatever you find comfortable really. Some people use cooldown 'bars' (hate those myself), dot-time style bars, power auras. The only way to keep track of which dots have been affected by what is down to yourself and your attention span. Generally, I find it easier to track if I refresh my dots at similar times, or at least 2/3 (I've found UA and corruption quite easy to cast together). That way, I'm not constantly having to think 'well agony is buffed my x, UA has got x and Corruption has been buffed by x. If you a good proc up, due to it having 10sec duration at least, you will be refreshing all three dots under that proc I imagine at some stage during the 10 seconds. I hope that makes sense.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 02:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tresdallah View Post
    I mean, if you can't mentally know that you have buffs a and b so you refresh dots and know that 15s later that buff drops so let your dots tick, then you may want to play another class.
    Sometimes it's really just a case of having that mindset. I'm still practising this myself!

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    Sometimes it's really just a case of having that mindset. I'm still practising this myself!
    Yeah, that's what I was saying though. If you find this to be too hard for you then you really just need to play another toon lol. Here's a video of my UI and you can see all my temp buffs are tracked where perma-buffs usually are, but I have those off to the side because of my UI mod.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsqds33XNnY

  6. #346
    Why even use addons to track our dots at all if we shouldn't try get something to track stronger dots? Isn't it much easier to track the normal dots? Maybe you should play a different class if you need addons for it?

    See what I did there?

    An addon that lets you see how strong your dots are in an easy way, preferably even telling you what buff(s) you had up when refreshing them would be a great tool to increase dps. There's not even a need to discuss it.

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by Tresdallah View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was saying though. If you find this to be too hard for you then you really just need to play another toon lol. Here's a video of my UI and you can see all my temp buffs are tracked where perma-buffs usually are, but I have those off to the side because of my UI mod.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsqds33XNnY
    Well yea so do I. I played an elemental shaman for a long time and I never had such flexibility in my rotation. When the ball is more in your hands it does get complicated, and does require number crunching. I have a lot of respect for affliction warlocks who 'get it right' for this reason. My point is, you're not being very constructive by saying 'oh well if you can't do it play another toon'.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 04:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Why even use addons to track our dots at all if we shouldn't try get something to track stronger dots? Isn't it much easier to track the normal dots? Maybe you should play a different class if you need addons for it?

    See what I did there?

    An addon that lets you see how strong your dots are in an easy way, preferably even telling you what buff(s) you had up when refreshing them would be a great tool to increase dps. There's not even a need to discuss it.
    I know some players who don't use any addons at all just out of principle - 'you don't need addons to be a good player'. No, you don't need addons to be a 'good enough' player, is my usual comeback.

    But that's another discussion.

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    Well yea so do I. I played an elemental shaman for a long time and I never had such flexibility in my rotation. When the ball is more in your hands it does get complicated, and does require number crunching. I have a lot of respect for affliction warlocks who 'get it right' for this reason. My point is, you're not being very constructive by saying 'oh well if you can't do it play another toon'.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 04:09 PM ----------



    I know some players who don't use any addons at all just out of principle - 'you don't need addons to be a good player'. No, you don't need addons to be a 'good enough' player, is my usual comeback.

    But that's another discussion.
    I see your point, and if it were taken harshly then I'm sorry it wasn't really directed that way. I was just saying that, honestly, there isn't any way to track only buffed DoTs to my knowledge. So if it's something that is a true problem then you may not be able to min/max the way you would like to.

    @Bonkura, lol what? Do we NEED addons to track DoTs? No but it certainly is the only true way to min/max (moreso pre-pandemic but still so just in a more minimal fashion). There just simply isn't a way to track only buffed DoTs. Actually, you MIGHT be able to setup power auras that show certain DoTs if x or y buff is present, now that I think about it. If you want to try this then by all means please do, but outside of that I have no idea how you would only track buffed DoTs.

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by Tresdallah View Post
    @Bonkura, lol what? Do we NEED addons to track DoTs? No but it certainly is the only true way to min/max (moreso pre-pandemic but still so just in a more minimal fashion). There just simply isn't a way to track only buffed DoTs. Actually, you MIGHT be able to setup power auras that show certain DoTs if x or y buff is present, now that I think about it. If you want to try this then by all means please do, but outside of that I have no idea how you would only track buffed DoTs.
    If you don't know if there's a way to do it I don't get shit of what you've been posting. I'm very sure it's possible to do it like somehow showing the damage the dots are doing at least either on a buff tracker or on your name plates. There might not be a tool for it now but it would be cool to have.

  10. #350
    There's obviously is a way to do it - if you're willing to write an add-on. Shadow Priests have been doing something like that for years via BuffScore.
    Last edited by Rustjive; 2012-10-09 at 05:09 PM.

  11. #351
    There ya go then. Have that addon, modify if for locks, and go nuts.

  12. #352
    How have you guys been handling 2 target multi-dotting? Right now I've been refreshing my dots on the 2nd target with sb-ss when ua is about to fall off and it feels like I'm doing higher dps just doing my single target rotation on a fight like stoneguard.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by glendabeck View Post
    How have you guys been handling 2 target multi-dotting? Right now I've been refreshing my dots on the 2nd target with sb-ss when ua is about to fall off and it feels like I'm doing higher dps just doing my single target rotation on a fight like stoneguard.
    Using SB:SS to refresh your dots is a definite DPS loss if you do it all the time and have a limited amount of shards. You lack the shards to then use Haunt instead.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    There's obviously is a way to do it - if you're willing to write an add-on. Shadow Priests have been doing something like that for years via BuffScore.
    I was going to post something like this yesterday but completely forgot. There's always been something like Shadow word Green light or what ever for shadow priests there's just never been a warlock AddOn Dev to do it and I just don't have time this year to do something like that. It's pretty simple if you know the buffs you need to track and the thresholds for recasts but someone would still need to do it.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

  15. #355
    A question regarding Elegon and the adds that when killed add 1 stack of Draw Power. How do you handle them? We take 4 waves and so far the first one goes down easily, the second one gets soul swap dots from boss and 1 haunt. third gets 3 haunts and the fourth one gets dark soul, engi gloves, haunt and soul swap dots. however I barely get them down. Is it a good idea to use UA, Corr and Fel Flame instead? Or how do you handle them?

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    A question regarding Elegon and the adds that when killed add 1 stack of Draw Power. How do you handle them? We take 4 waves and so far the first one goes down easily, the second one gets soul swap dots from boss and 1 haunt. third gets 3 haunts and the fourth one gets dark soul, engi gloves, haunt and soul swap dots. however I barely get them down. Is it a good idea to use UA, Corr and Fel Flame instead? Or how do you handle them?
    SB:SS+MG first two waves, SB:SS+Haunt+MG any wave after that. DS boss if you run out of shards. Make sure you stay inside the circle when casting.

  17. #357
    Bloodsail Admiral hellhamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,064
    So I made a list of basic gameplay tips on how to optimally play affliction, maybe some of them are wrong so please correct me. Here goes:

    1: Super dots with Pandemic abuse. Track procs/cds, refresh dots on the procs/cds, refresh them again before procs/cds expire. Enjoy 30+ seconds of super charged dot uptime. Procs and cds are: trinkets, dark soul, hero, engineering gloves/lightweave.

    2: Don't go for hit cap. This is extremely hard to pull off, but if done correctly it will give you a good enough dps boost that warrants the way harder gameplay. Stay around 7-8% spell hit and go for haste/mastery. If stuff misses just recast. Don't use that on progression where you really need your spells to hit like on Elegon.

    3: Haunt only when you have full Malefic Grasp uptime, also if your dots are supercharged and you have procs and cds up. Obviously don't sit on shards.

    4: On target swapping fights, use SB:SS on the new mob then immediately SS it and use it on the initial target when your dots fall off. That is assuming you don't need to SB:SS in less than 30 seconds because your SS will be on CD.

    5: Abuse drain soul on mobs that are about to die so you get shards back. More shards, more haunts, more epeening.

    6: If you are absolutely sure you can't use a second Dark Soul in the future, sit on the Dark Soul cd till you are in execute range and you proc everything.

    7: SB:SS on the pull after Dark Soul is up.

    8: Doomguard should be used on pull (if you don't need it for anything else obviously) as second GCD after Haunt, unless the execute phase is longer than 1 minute, if so use it on the execute. Don't ever use Doomguard if you are about to switch targets, it will simply keep attacking the first target till it disappears.

    9: Use SB:SS to refresh dots on execute phase.

  18. #358
    damn, i'm in our guild raid atm, and omg, please Xelnath, make a :

    [Soulburn:Summoning Stone] to summon everyone in the party/raid

  19. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    damn, i'm in our guild raid atm, and omg, please Xelnath, make a :

    [Soulburn:Summoning Stone] to summon everyone in the party/raid
    HA, that'd make at least 1 warlock in every raid have a mandatory Affliction spec, just for that. Quicker to change spec than to summon manually.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    damn, i'm in our guild raid atm, and omg, please Xelnath, make a :

    [Soulburn:Summoning Stone] to summon everyone in the party/raid
    Eiffeltower for prez.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •