Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Learning the classes

I pre-ordered GW2 so I was able to play in some of the BWEs. Fun game, I only got to about level 10 in any class. I liked how the world quest other people could help you do, and I also liked how each character has there own story.

One of the issues I had with the game so far, and I don't know if it will be addressed at release or not, is learning how to play the classes. For instance when you roll a thief, you get initiative. Playing for the few minutes I did with it, I wasn't sure how I used it , or how I got more of it. I realized that it was somehow important to the thief but wasn't sure how.

Another example is when playing a mesmer. My abilities of my class , the F1-F4 abilities were about sacrificing my clones and phantasms. I didn't know when I should do this. When I used the scepter I got a lot of them to blow up. When I used another weapon I barely got any. Should I sacrifice them with other weapons at all? Only a last resort?

I would like GW2 to implement a basic tutorial system, to at least understand the basic mechanics of the class you are playing.

That's the beauty of the game, it isn't hand holding tutorial bull crap, the game was designed for you to experiment and learn. If you need help talking to the appropriate npc will actually help and give explanations and classes don't have a specific way to play, you play how you like.

The cards are put out on the table, what you do and how you do with them is up to you.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-17 at 12:00 AM.

Things like initiative and clones/phantasms you can really just read the skills to learn about them. If you can't, then you can learn from experience, which none of the mechanics should really be a problem by level 10. The only thing that might be kind of difficult to figure out is charming pets on a Ranger.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-17 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That's the beauty of the game, it isn't hand holding tutorial bull crap, the game was designed for you to experiment and learn. If you need help talking to the appropriate npc will actually help and give explanations and classes don't have a specific way to play, you play how you like.

The cards are put out on the table, what you do and how you do with them is up to you.
    Well there is a difference between hand holding and learning the basics. I want to learn how to class basically work. I don't need to them to tell me sick combos, but at least what the class was designed to do. They are giving you a toolbox full of tools without telling you what each one is meant to do.

If you read the hints/help in your game menu it gives you the skinny on all of that stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamuto View Post
    I pre-ordered GW2 so I was able to play in some of the BWEs. Fun game, I only got to about level 10 in any class. I liked how the world quest other people could help you do, and I also liked how each character has there own story.

One of the issues I had with the game so far, and I don't know if it will be addressed at release or not, is learning how to play the classes. For instance when you roll a thief, you get initiative. Playing for the few minutes I did with it, I wasn't sure how I used it , or how I got more of it. I realized that it was somehow important to the thief but wasn't sure how.

Another example is when playing a mesmer. My abilities of my class , the F1-F4 abilities were about sacrificing my clones and phantasms. I didn't know when I should do this. When I used the scepter I got a lot of them to blow up. When I used another weapon I barely got any. Should I sacrifice them with other weapons at all? Only a last resort?

I would like GW2 to implement a basic tutorial system, to at least understand the basic mechanics of the class you are playing.
    There's an official wiki, which you can actually access in-game I think, if you really want to learn more. :P

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well there is a difference between hand holding and learning the basics. I want to learn how to class basically work. I don't need to them to tell me sick combos, but at least what the class was designed to do. They are giving you a toolbox full of tools without telling you what each one is meant to do.
    Well the abilities do tell you what they do. If an ability cripples, it means the monster moves slower, and that is really all you need to know. You use certain abilities when they are necessary. Of course you won't know what to do instinctively at first, but once you get enough practice you will know when to use all of your abilities.

I feel as though all the classes work mechanically in a very obvious and overt ways. At least when it comes to the basics. By design I believe that is intentional as well. The game's professions are very truncated at first blush. A lot of the tactical and strategic depth is in how one is able to master those abilities/dynamics.

In this regard, Guild Wars 2 is very much like a MOBA. Simple topically, deep at the backend.

Don't think anymore tutorials are needed. But for the OP it might be less evident. Perhaps making a suggestion on the official forums for more robust tutorials will lead to results.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-17 at 02:01 AM.

Deleted
    Personally, I prefer it without a tutorial. Everything is new and exciting. Going into a game fully clued up is rarely fun for me.

Games have tool tips for a reason. If you dont want to read them then dont complain on forums that the game isnt teaching you how to play your class. When i got a new skill in WoW when i joined in BC i just didnt start using it to try and figure out what it did. I read the information the game provided me and knew what it did, now all i had to do was put it into practice.

Same thing here. Read what each skill you get does and if your still not sure then ask around the forums.

The way proffesions work is, they have a uniqueness to them and their abilities. There is no designed way to play them like other games have set up (such as wow). You play your proffesion how you want and the build you want, weather its effective or not is just trial and error.

You want the basics? Spam attack 1.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-17 at 02:17 AM.

Did you ever think to hover over your abilities to see how they function, or watch initiative regen on its own?

I can see where the OP is coming from. I mean I might not be in the same boat as him, as many of you guys surely aren't. But think that for a game that comes with "If you play mmos check out gw2, if you don't then REALLY check out gw2". Think about it, it isn't very far from logic itself to ask for "better directions".

Now, as the OP said he didn't play any class more than 10 levels. I think it's fair for him to question more about the classes, and since the game isn't out yet the "theory" people are still not quite ready to show the stuff.

He did mention what I find the most "hard" classes of the game. Mesmer being without a doubt the most one. Thief is tricky, doesn't take too much to know what's going on, as I'm sure the OP noticed it's resource regenerate overtime. But to actually take the step to better knowledge for most is a problem, in WoW you just get rotation + a build and voila you can fake goodness pretty well. With a game where timing and how is very essence, I wouldn't mind giving optionally a better hand to those new to it.

Now, I haven't read the tips and stuff, because I like to discover myself but there are people who doesn't. So I don't know how good they are but you can't blame many ppl that complain provided most of the tips are usually so "dorky" that you might think it's sarcasm, because in it's essence it usually don't explain too much.

I think the OP could and will understand more as in wiki (as gw seems to like people to search there) and empirically playing the game will show. But actually putting a sort of halfstep for better understanding is not irrational to ask.

It's not like you need to know your class at a really in-depth level by level 10. Plus they already kinda hold your hand by only allowing you to learn 1 ability at a time. Each weapon ability is learned 1 at a time as you unlock them, utility slots are locked until certain levels, utility skills are tiered so you only have access to so many at 1 time, and even traits are tiered so you have a lot less traits you need to learn until you get to a certain level. It's a gradual process so you can slowly start to learn how everything works, instead of just throwing you into the class with every ability so you feel like you have to learn class before you can play the class. With the way its set up right now you get to play the class while you learn the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    It's not like you need to know your class at a really in-depth level by level 10. Plus they already kinda hold your hand by only allowing you to learn 1 ability at a time. Each weapon ability is learned 1 at a time as you unlock them, utility slots are locked until certain levels, utility skills are tiered so you only have access to so many at 1 time, and even traits are tiered so you have a lot less traits you need to learn until you get to a certain level. It's a gradual process so you can slowly start to learn how everything works, instead of just throwing you into the class with every ability so you feel like you have to learn class before you can play the class. With the way its set up right now you get to play the class while you learn the class.
    Unless you jump into PvP - insta 80 with all your skills, traits and abilities.
    But they have target golems in the Mists- good ones too that run around and can knock you back.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Unless you jump into PvP - insta 80 with all your skills, traits and abilities.
    But they have target golems in the Mists- good ones too that run around and can knock you back.
    In another pvp discussion I said that it would be better if Anet restricted a lil bit that part. Making a new character and having access to everything at level 2 not only sometimes can be a lil bad (Comon, who never disliked those games where you start all powerful with everything and then something happens and you have to build up again. I hate those lol, cause it spoils the fun) but also most people hit a wall directly when playing PvP. My friend did that and rushed to PvP, result now he thinks he is more into PvE even tho in other games he loves PvP, and the reason I believe behind this is simple. As much as it's fairly easy to do the transition (specially for more veteran people), most people will hit a wall and get some bad grudge against PvP.

But anyways yeah...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    In another pvp discussion I said that it would be better if Anet restricted a lil bit that part.
    Restrict going into pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Restrict going into pvp?
    Yeah I don't get it, either. Makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Guild Wars not only had PvP-exclusive characters, but eventually even PvP accounts that skipped the campaigns completely.

For a game that allows you to jump in and be competitive (Hey e-sport) with no gear requirements, restricting that in any way is completely and totally counterproductive.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    In another pvp discussion I said that it would be better if Anet restricted a lil bit that part. Making a new character and having access to everything at level 2 not only sometimes can be a lil bad (Comon, who never disliked those games where you start all powerful with everything and then something happens and you have to build up again. I hate those lol, cause it spoils the fun) but also most people hit a wall directly when playing PvP. My friend did that and rushed to PvP, result now he thinks he is more into PvE even tho in other games he loves PvP, and the reason I believe behind this is simple. As much as it's fairly easy to do the transition (specially for more veteran people), most people will hit a wall and get some bad grudge against PvP.

But anyways yeah...hehe
    I'm not sure restricting PVP to force you through a tutorial phase is really the answer. If you choose to jump into the deep end of the pool and intentionally ignore the swimming leasons provided in the other half its on your own head to sink or swim. You have the very basic how to move around tutorial that gets you to level 2. Once you go to the mists they provide a tutorial of the basic PVP mechanics such as capturing points, finishing and reviveing. After that you can freely play around with skills on the training dummie and even learn to use the siege equipment. There are plenty of places to test out the basic class mechanics even ignoreing the PVE side where they ease you into it gentely. The tools to learn are there, if someone ignores them they can either tough it out or go back and make use of the learning options provided.

Who is John Galt?

There is a tutorial zone OP. It's the Mysts (The PvP lobby zone that you access via the PvP panel). Inside the mysts, you'll have all your skills and traits unlocked, you'll have access to all possible weapons and you can train against various kinds of NPCs : passive dummies, invulnerable dummies, profession-specific AIs, etc. It doesn't spell out to you how everything works, but you can find out yourself by going there and practicing. Also, don't forget to use your Combat Log.