New to the game and confused

Hey.

I got LoL a couple of days ago to check it out. Since it's free and all. I'm just queueing Blind Pick random 5v5 stuff and plan on doing so for a while, I think.

I'm playing with Yi mostly because I like melee classes and he seems strong. It is to my understanding that he should usually be "jungeling" but I just farm in top or bottom lane mostly. Doesen't seem to matter much in these blind pick games. Does it matter in these games?

I usually do alright in terms of kills/deaths but I can't seem to figure out how to work the store. I just buy what looks good and I normally focus on attack speed, the cooldown reduce and lifestealing. But every game people get better items than me even though I sometimes have the most minion kills. Any tips on what I should buy/what to focus on?

I also need some tips on runes/glyphs/summoner spells.

I have looked at some guides but most of them seems to be for jungeling and/or rated games. Maybe I should pick another hero? If I should, who? I would like him/her to be melee.

Last thing. In the start, if I have the chance, should I just kill the towers I come across in my lane?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
    Hey.

I got LoL a couple of days ago to check it out. Since it's free and all. I'm just queueing Blind Pick random 5v5 stuff and plan on doing so for a while, I think.

I'm playing with Yi mostly because I like melee classes and he seems strong. It is to my understanding that he should usually be "jungeling" but I just farm in top or bottom lane mostly. Doesen't seem to matter much in these blind pick games. Does it matter in these games?

I usually do alright in terms of kills/deaths but I can't seem to figure out how to work the store. I just buy what looks good and I normally focus on attack speed, the cooldown reduce and lifestealing. But every game people get better items than me even though I sometimes have the most minion kills. Any tips on what I should buy/what to focus on?

I also need some tips on runes/glyphs/summoner spells.

I have looked at some guides but most of them seems to be for jungeling and/or rated games. Maybe I should pick another hero? If I should, who? I would like him/her to be melee.

Last thing. In the start, if I have the chance, should I just kill the towers I come across in my lane?

Thanks in advance.
    The ranked game guides can help in your games as well. Also, you want attack damage and crit chance more as yi. attack speed and cooldown reduction are nice, but not really what you focus on.

Deleted
    In low level games, it doesn't matter if you go to the jungle or not, though it would be good if you could fill that role since it allows your team to win the game a lot better.

Regardless, Yi works well both in jungle and in lane. As for items, stick to getting AD items and AS items on him, since that increase his damage. So items like Statikk Shiv, Blade of the Ruined King, Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, etc, are all good items.

As for runes, I wouldn't buy any until you are level 20 and know exactly what to buy, though a generic AD build would be flat damage or armor pen red runes tier 3, flat armour yellow runes or hp per level yellow runes, flat mr or mr per level on blue and flat AD or flat armor pen in quints.

As for a generic AP rune page, it would be flat magic pen in red all the time, flat armor or hp per level on yellow, ap per level or flat mr or mr per level on blues and flat AP on quints.

As for summoners, flash is usually a must pick for pretty much every champion. Since you're playing Flash along with Ignite or Exhaust is the way to go. If you go jungle, take Flash and Smite.

As for the tower thing. You should attack it when ever you have the chance yes. I'd probably recommend it killing it asap, especially in low level games where the enemy team rarely has a jungler, meaning that you can snowball the lane and get stronger and no one can really stop you unless it's 5 guys on you.

Also, check this site out in case you need to know about more stuff like items, runes, etc: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki

Alright. Thanks for the tips. I will take all of that in to consideration from now on. And I'll go from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that in low level games, your team mates might freak out at the idea of a jungler. It may well mean they're up against a 2v1 and have no idea how to handle that situation.

On top of that, without Runes/Masteries, it's a fair bit harder for most champions.

10+ Year Old Account
    if the other team is going 2 top/2 bot/no jungle and you have an inexperienced jungler I think it puts you at a greater risk to lose the game honestly because top gets bullied too hard (people aren't used to just farming under tower against 2 opponents at that level) and the jungler gets way way way behind in XP and gold because of an unfamiliarity with the routes and awareness it takes to fulfill that role effectively.

if you like yi's play style by all means just stick with him! top is a fine place for yi, even mid can work just fine honestly. follow the best rated guides on lolking (i prefer) or mobafire if you find it easier to relate to/read explanations/etc. the shop is very daunting at first and takes awhile to learn. build paths are always changing depending on the needs of the game and the comp you are facing. try to learn what champions do which type of damage every time you play (ap/ad).

have fun!

People generally answered to your questions. I will focus on the one that hasn't been answered yet, and that is what champion you should buy/try next:

Try to play/buy what is to your liking aesthetically. If you've been playing WoW (which I get that you do) and have never for instance liked mages/warlocks etc, don't try a mage champion, but a melee one as you said. You will have PLENTY of time in mastering and learning every champion out there, so take advantage of that and have as much newb fun as possible.

If you enjoy being competitive, there are plenty of guides you can find in google. Generally though, follow common logic. Don't build 5 Zeals & Attack Speed boots. Just don't.

Thanks for all the answers, guys! Starting to get a bit of understanding towards the game now.

I was thinking of buying Shaco or Akali since I am closing up on the amount of IP I need for one of those. Or maybe I should just wait it out for something even more expensive.

Thanks for all the answers, guys! Starting to get a bit of understanding towards the game now.

I was thinking of buying Shaco or Akali since I am closing up on the amount of IP I need for one of those. Or maybe I should just wait it out for something even more expensive.
    Personally wouldn't recommend Shaco, because it requires a bit of practice to play him right. I would definitely go for Akali.

She seems really fun. I'll try her out. Thanks. Seems like I gain IP faster at higher levels too? Or is that just my imagination?

Deleted
    She seems really fun. I'll try her out. Thanks. Seems like I gain IP faster at higher levels too? Or is that just my imagination?
    You don't get more IP at higher levels; but you do get more IP for winning than losing, and you get more IP for longer matches than short matches. So if you're winning more often, or having longer matches, your IP might be going up faster You also get more IP for different modes, so it depends if you switched to PvP from say, beginner bot matches, then you'll be getting more IP.

I just started playing about a month ago and what really helped me at first was to stick to the recommended items in the store. This at least allowed me to get a general idea of what to build for the different heroes. I at first really enjoyed the melee heroes too but then I made myself give a bunch of the others a shot against bots. I found that I actually enjoy the marksman ADC the most. For me I also tried not to mimic builds from the different sites since I wasn't really thinking for myself at all about what to do. After a month I can really just say that it is all about getting in practice with a hero that suits the play style you enjoy.