Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I dont know if its a solution.. but put a big tax on Unhealty food. like you do on like cigarets.
    and spend the monny on making healty food alot cheaper.
    It could be a way to teach people to eat healty again. I think its a Skill we have forgotten in a buissy world.
    The fastfood joints. might swap to healty food. not the crap they serve now.
    In my xp. it doesent take longer nor is it harder to cook healty.
    Take it from a still chubby wow player, lost 15 kg in 6 month. just by rethinking the way i cook, and ofc eat.
    I finde it alot cheaper aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Well, it's a world wide problem. Did you know that America feeds most of the world? Food is one of our primary exports. Next time you go the grocery store I invite you to buy a product that doesn't contain fructose or high fructose corn syrup, or any of it's derivates.
    I shop at Whole Foods Market and nothing there contains fructose or high fructose corn syrup. It's also really expensive there, but that's the price I'm willing to pay (literally) for healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    We don't have wal-mart, but at my local supermarkets, all the healthy MEALS cost more than unhealthy ones.

Cheapest healthy frozen meal is around $8. Still way higher than a maccas or pizza option.
    Because buying produce and cooking it yourself is out of the question?

Disagreeing doesn't change the facts .... it is still a fact that healthy food costs more at least 3-4 times as much as unhealthy food.

That's HEALTHY food.
    I don't think you understand what facts are. Because claiming "healthy foods" cost 3-4 times as much as "unhealthy food" without any examples is not a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's why we're all fat:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...g-fat-lie.html

Kinda sad that this article is 10 years old and the establishment is still pushing the bogus lipid hypothesis.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-08-17 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zpiff View Post
    I dont know if its a solution.. but put a big tax on Unhealty food. like you do on like cigarets.
    and spend the monny on making healty food alot cheaper.
    It could be a way to teach people to eat healty again. I think its a Skill we have forgotten in a buissy world.
    The fastfood joints. might swap to healty food. not the crap they serve now.
    In my xp. it doesent take longer nor is it harder to cook healty.
    Take it from a still chubby wow player, lost 15 kg in 6 month. just by rethinking the way i cook, and ofc eat.
    What if a poor person only has 20 dollars to spend. They can buy 2 healthy meals or if you raise taxes on fast food. They wouldn't be able to afford it. Like in New York they have this thing where they want to ban 2 liter sodas. They want to force people to buy TWO SEPERATE bottles of 1oz sodas which is more expensive in an effort to curb peoples wait.

You have to stop and think when you are stepping on people's right to choose. If you raise taxe's on fat food just for making it harder to get. Think about the poor people who depend on that and would go hungry if the price was increased.

Some of us don't have the freedom or resources available to prepare our own meals. If I wasn't so damn bereft of money - I could have a place and stock my own fridge and have my own cooking space.

That isn't the case ... so I eat to survive the best I can, which is currently about half cheap meals and about half healthy ones.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I don't think you understand what facts are. Because claiming "healthy foods" cost 3-4 times as much as "unhealthy food" without any examples is not a fact.
    I gave examples... you should eat more carrots dood

Lets go again:

Pizza : two meals $5 (unhealthy)
    Maccas: one meal $2 (unhealthy)
    Subway: one meal $8 (reasonably healthy)
    Lite'N'Easy: one meal $10 (very healthy)

The simple fact that cannot be get around is that healthy requires fresh, unhealthy does not.

Fresh costs more, and requires more preparation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of us don't have the freedom or resources available to prepare our own meals. If I wasn't so damn bereft of money - I could have a place and stock my own fridge and have my own cooking space.

That isn't the case ... so I eat to survive the best I can, which is currently about half cheap meals and about half healthy ones.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:11 AM ----------

I gave examples... you should eat more carrots dood

Lets go again:

Pizza : two meals $5 (unhealthy)
    Maccas: one meal $2 (unhealthy)
    Subway: one meal $8 (reasonably healthy)
    Lite'N'Easy: one meal $10 (very healthy)

The simple fact that cannot be get around is that healthy requires fresh, unhealthy does not.

Fresh costs more, and requires more preparation.
    I dunno where you live, but I just ate a 1/3 of a pound of grass fed steak, half an eggplant, an endive, and a 1/3 of a pound of asparagus and it cost me $4.50.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I dunno where you live, but I just ate a 1/3 of a pound of grass fed steak, half an eggplant, an endive, and a 1/3 of a pound of asparagus and it cost me $4.50.
    Where did you buy the meal from ?

And even then it is more than double the price of the unhealthy meal option.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2012-08-17 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did you buy the meal from ?
    Grocery store. It took all of 15 minutes from fridge to plate.

well FusedMass. i was saying to make healty food alot cheaper.
    Take away the option for low income, to feet there families and them selfe with crap. and give them a real option to eat healty.
    As i understand the low income grp of people are the Fattest in the states.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have ALWAYS been fat people. Some societies desired fat people. Three things have changed though, the "fitness" craze about 30 years which was really a bunch of fad diets and very unsafe pills, more people are fat because they can afford to be and food is more accessible, the media and Hollywood are everywhere. A lot of our bloodlines exist because our ancestors were able to plump. There are fat people now, there were fat people 200 years ago, there will be fat people in the future. The difference between now and 50 years ago is that the food has actually gotten healthier but people still get fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Grocery store. It took all of 15 minutes from fridge to plate.
    SO let me guess, you didn't buy a meal from the grocery store ?

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:19 AM ----------

Low income have the least access to healthy lifestyle, food and care... that is how our lovely society works.

10+ Year Old Account
    And even then it is more than double the price of the unhealthy meal option.
    The meal I mentioned was probably 2 to 3 times the bulk of what you'd get for 2 dollars at McDonalds. To get a similar sized meal in Los Angeles costs around 6 bucks.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:24 AM ----------

What kind of ridiculous caveat is that? Nobody is forcing anybody to eat outside of their home. Cooking the meal I made took less time then it would've for me to get into my car, drive to a fast food place, order it and drive back. The only reason not to cook is laziness.

well FusedMass. i was saying to make healty food alot cheaper.
    Take away the option for low income, to feet there families and them selfe with crap. and give them a real option to eat healty.
    Their is a ton of rich fat people. Like Gov of New Jersey. That man is huge. He is like jellow when he walks and he's rich. They're is Newt Grinwhich who is fat but rich.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:19 AM ----------

Low income have the least access to healthy lifestyle, food and care... that is how our lovely society works.
    I didn't know going out for a jog after work required loads of money.

The problem is that it's so much cheaper to eat an unhealthy snack than something healthy.

Personally I'd much rather eat a nice pasty and a fresh salad than a copple of burgers at Mac or BK, however I can get 3 burgers for €3,- (or 300yen as I'm currently in Japan) and the pasta plus salad costs about double to triple.

Next to that it's a lifestyle problem. If it isn't the lack of money which encourages bad food, it's the marketing of products that make you lazier. But it is perfectly possible to live a healthy life if you try a little, you might have to give up a thing or two though...

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I didn't make my point very well, then. Fructose isn't something that you may deliberately ingest either, at least insofar as inhaling asbestos constitutes deliberate. You're right - dietary and obesity issues are highly publicized, but they're publicized in the least helpful and potentially most destructive way. It's in almost everything you eat.

You hear really bad dietary advice all the time that's 'healthy' and people eat it up (heh) because they're ignorant. I had someone suggest that I should drink a glass of orange juice rather than a diet coke. I asked them why, and they said "well, juice is healthier because it's made out of fruit." I won't go into the particulars of that discussion, because he was wrong. Juice is terrible for you unless it contains pulp, and even then it's not very good for you. You may as well drink a sugared soda.

People think diet is a function of calories. You'll hear things like "Oh, I just ate a cookie, that was 100 calories! Now I have to run a mile!"

Bullshit. Stop and think about that a moment. If I run a mile then I've effectively removed 100 calories from my body? That's now how your body works. You're body isn't a flame heating water a degree, it's a chemical factory.

When you eat something, it's broken up and subject to a number of chemical reaction depending on what it is. I just so happens that fructose has a particularly bad metabolic pathway in the human body. It's broken down in the liver, like a poison. It metabolizes into glycogen if glycogen isn't abundant in the liver. If glycogen is abundant it metabolizes in to fat. When you look at the dietary information you may see fat as one of the entries, but that number doesn't include fructose because fructose is classified as a carbohydrate.

The fact is we evolved to consume fructose only in the presence of high fiber, and fiber blocks it's uptake so only a fraction of the fructose made it into the body, anyway. In small amounts your body can handle it just fine. But when it's in every meal and it's being completely absorbed you're essentially overloading your body with fat. Fructose metabolism also produces a lot of waste, too. It's terrible for you but people don't know to look through their food and look for it and ask themselves "wait, does this have fructose in it?" It's pervasive. Even our meats are the result of fructose poisoning because we feed fish, poultry, and cows corn feed. It's really shocking.
    You have been brainwashed. Gaining weight and losing weight is as simple as calories in vs calories out. There is no denying it, there is no escaping it. Your body needs X number of calories every day, (how much it needs can obviously fluctuate based on a large number of factors) However, if you consume less than this amount no matter what it is, you will lose weight. If you consume more than that amount, no matter what it is, you will gain weight. That fact that some things metabolize into fat more easily than other things is completely irrelevant, because ultimately if your body needs 2000 calories to function in a day and you eat 1500 calories, your body HAS to pull 500 calories from somewhere, which if you are obese, it will pull these calories from your fat stores. Obviously body building is much more complicated than this to have a perfect form, as there are circumstances that can cause your body to break down muscle as well as fat (Although for normal people this is not a danger, your body will always attempt to maintain a reasonable balance for survival based on the amount you are feeding it) Anyway I'm starting to ramble, but the bottom line is you are wrong, HFCS is not to blame for obesity, people being lazy and teaching their children their same habits are causing obesity. Being fit is really as simple as a little self discipline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    You have been brainwashed. Gaining weight and losing weight is as simple as calories in vs calories out. There is no denying it, there is no escaping it. Your body needs X number of calories every day, (how much it needs can obviously fluctuate based on a large number of factors) However, if you consume less than this amount no matter what it is, you will lose weight. If you consume more than that amount, no matter what it is, you will gain weight. That fact that some things metabolize into fat more easily than other things is completely irrelevant, because ultimately if your body needs 2000 calories to function in a day and you eat 1500 calories, your body HAS to pull 500 calories from somewhere, which if you are obese, it will pull these calories from your fat stores. Obviously body building is much more complicated than this to have a perfect form, as there are circumstances that can cause your body to break down muscle as well as fat (Although for normal people this is not a danger, your body will always attempt to maintain a reasonable balance for survival based on the amount you are feeding it) Anyway I'm starting to ramble, but the bottom line is you are wrong, HFCS is not to blame for obesity, people being lazy and teaching their children their same habits are causing obesity. Being fit is really as simple as a little self discipline.
    You really should do some research before making claims like that. Our body's endocrine system is an incredibly complicated machine and the calorie in, calorie out model has long been disproven. HFCS, for example, boost blood sugar, which in turn causes your body to release insulin. High levels of blood insulin inhibit your body's ability to access stored fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    The problem is that it's so much cheaper to eat an unhealthy snack than something healthy.

Personally I'd much rather eat a nice pasty and a fresh salad than a copple of burgers at Mac or BK, however I can get 3 burgers for €3,- (or 300yen as I'm currently in Japan) and the pasta plus salad costs about double to triple.

Next to that it's a lifestyle problem. If it isn't the lack of money which encourages bad food, it's the marketing of products that make you lazier. But it is perfectly possible to live a healthy life if you try a little, you might have to give up a thing or two though...
    If you are talking about eating at a restaurant then yes, McDonalds is cheaper than an Italian restaurant. But you can eat healthy cheaper than McDonalds if you buy vegetables at your local supermarket.(fruit however can be stupidly expensive in Japan)