Thread: Im surprised

10+ Year Old Account

Im surprised

Why?

This part of the forum is usually very lively when it comes to the international spectrum of things, shootings, wars all that kind of stuff.

I don't know about you guys in your countries, but today at dinner i look at these news and see this http://pt.euronews.com/2012/08/16/po...iros-em-greve/ (it's in portuguese).

Well the news did their job. They put up a video of south african policemen fire upon what appeared as a charging group of mining workers who were on strike.

After watching 1 or 2 more videos, apparently the strike is about bad working conditions, but there's also 2 distinct union groups (one who makes the previous claim) and another who says that the demands of the other group are too high. That's the how i understood it anyway.

As for what happened in the video, as said, the group of miners appeared to be charging towards the police. After they're shot down, you're given some close ups of the dead men, but there aren't any signs of weapons (not any that i saw). Yet, on the end of the video, the viewer is show images of other protesters which appeared to be armed with blades, knifes and that sort of weaponry.

Still, that's pretty shocking to see, which is why im surprised this isn't on general off-topic yet, unless i've missed the thread ofc.

English/some more info- http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ing-at-least-7

Also, while on labor issues, this- http://truth-out.org/news/item/10942...bor-conditions

Columbia has had a bloody history of labor suppression and very poor labor laws.

It's pretty scary how often people will use lethal force against someone weaker who doesn't even have a weapon.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean.. if a topic hasn't been created yet you're welcome to do so yourself.

Creating a topic complaining that a topic doesn't exist is kinda weird though. IDK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I mean.. if a topic hasn't been created yet you're welcome to do so yourself.

Creating a topic complaining that a topic doesn't exist is kinda weird though. IDK.
    If my post came across as a complaint, then you misunderstood it. More like the fact that people usually fall pretty quickly over these kind of subjects, but since it's Africa, i guess it wasn't worth the quickness

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If my post came across as a complaint, then you misunderstood it. More like the fact that people usually fall pretty quickly over these kind of subjects, but since it's Africa, i guess it wasn't worth the quickness
    People make threads two seconds after cops shoot someone in America because it's an excuse to engage in some America bashing. But commenting on problems in Africa means they actually have to be productive and suggest realistic solutions.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I think you're right about the fact that it's because it's Africa. So much fucked up shit happens all around the world, but Africa I think takes the cake for atrocities/wars/starvation/disease. It's kinda the same thing with shootings in the US now, you'll see the media focus on it less and less because it's happening like every week now, and I think people just become desensitized to it and it loses its exceptionality factor.

15+ Year Old Account
    well. you cant make a user care about a topic and usually only topics that are controversial do well. People would rather argue than share information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    well. you cant make a user care about a topic and usually only topics that are controversial do well. People would rather argue than share information.
    True that, hence me saying that since it's in Africa, it isn't worth the effort.

I guess im talking about the fact that society views this sort of a event as every day business, since Africa has become increasingly perceived as a continent where mass killings and massacres just aren't shocking anymore to anyone (?).

Nonetheless, as i mentioned, the news succeed in it's goal of capturing a very disturbing moment. The police shooting down what appeared to be unarmed men.

Bring it into a "western society" scenario and the story would be entirely different.

But we're all smart to figure out this on our own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I'm honestly surprised the footage of it managed to get out. Had no idea things were this bad in South Africa though.