Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

With Final Fantasy 7 being re-released (again), is Square losing it?

If you have not heard, FF7 will be downloadable soon and I believe it will be coming to Steam.
    With it comes the full FF7 game (not like the first, god awful PC release), achievements (not sure how many though, or what..) and, if the $11 or so price tag wasn't enough, you can buy (with real money) an item which boosts your maximum HP, MP and GIL to full.

Quite honestly now, I adore Final Fantasy as a series; I feel as if it, in a small way, shaped me as a person. (if you couldn't tell, I'm actually now an over-sized sword wielding, white haired megalomaniac. Seriously though...)

I will definitely buy it as I don't have access to a PS1 at all, but do you think it's right for Square to keep on selling the same thing, while sort of ignoring the fact that a lot of fans would die for a remake?
    Advent Children was amazing imo, proving they could still do so much with FF7.

Tbh, I WANTED to love FF13, but I just hated it, plain and simple. If you liked it, great, but I would ask you then what you like about Final Fantasy at all.
    The best I have heard about it is "it's beautiful."
    In which I think, "Well, Minecraft is as ugly as anything, yet that manages to be one of the best/most loved/most successful games of this decade to date."
    FF14 also got the most hate I have ever seen an MMO get. So much that they had to make it free straight away while they "fixed it."

This is no bashing, at all. I have so many memories of FF, it makes me a bit teary.
    I don't want Square to lose it, in the same way I don't want WoW to lose it, either.

What do you think?

it's already out
    it's exclusive on the square enix site. not through steam.
    http://store.na.square-enix.com/stor...0#.UC3-1KOmcvz

15+ Year Old Account
    Well they are still making a new one I believe as well as an MMO that does catch my eye. But it's not that bad, it is the most loved one, I'll buy it for sure, and I do believe they're re-releasing Final Fantasy 10 as a launch title for the PS4 with updated graphics. They'd make money off of it. Square Enix isn't loosing it, they're still making other great games, I'll be a loyal customer to them for a very long time, if not as long as I live and their company lives.

15+ Year Old Account
    While I would prefer a proper remake I'll take what I can get. And a decent port for the PC would be fantastic.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think Square kinda admitted they're losing it a bit when they said them selves that they have yet to make a game better than FF7 - which is why they've not actually done the remake of it yet - because they don't want to "rely on 1 game" basically they want to better FF7 before making FF7HD

but if they do eventually make FF7 with FF13+ gfx . . .OMG DO WANT! =D

I think Square kinda admitted they're losing it a bit when they said them selves that they have yet to make a game better than FF7
    They need to stop listening to fans then.

Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 10-2
    Kingdom Hearts franchise

All miles ahead of FF7.

Square Enix has yet to create a game that stands up to Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics, or either FFIV or VI, all of which were created by Square.

I agree with Krazy on the FF series, both IX and X were better than VII. VII was a mediocre game.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-08-17 at 08:28 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 10-2
    Kingdom Hearts franchise

All miles ahead of FF7.
    the problem is it comes down to opinion, and most people's opinion is that 7 is the best (mine included tbh)

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    the problem is it comes down to opinion, and most people's opinion is that 7 is the best (mine included tbh)
    I wouldn't go around using the word "most" here, except maybe the FF7 fanbase is the most vocal about claiming that game is the best.C

Cloud and Sepiroth are a mediocre main character/main villian.
    The playable characters are only slightly above average (Barret aside).
    The materia system is a mediocre leveling system.
    The storyline is mediocre.

The game isn't bad, and is definitely a worth entry in the FF universe. Its just not the best by any stretch of the imagination.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-08-17 at 08:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at videogames being on a similar trajectory as film then re-releases and HD releases of old games seems to be how it goes. Square-Enix had a disaster with FFIV and are now looking to recoup some money with something they now will sell and has low overhead. If you are worried about them tanking I will temper that with reminding you that they survived the release of The Spirits Within.

However, if you are worried about the soul of the Final Fantasy series and the company, I can say that they are definitely experimenting with other genres and mechanics through their developers. For me FF13 was too cinematic for me to play. I stopped after 2 hours and haven't wanted to go back since. Mirroring the film industry's cinematic scope is what frustrates me with many videogames today. It takes all the charm out of the aesthetic of the game and takes the player out of it.

I will say that Square-Enix seems to be listening to their communities more so than others. Blizzard also listens to their communities. However, the product might not suit both the majority and the minority.
    I have a propensity for rational and evolving thought... what am I doing on a forum?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    if the $11 or so price tag wasn't enough, you can buy (with real money) an item which boosts your maximum HP, MP and GIL to full.
    Have to interject... you do NOT pay real money to boost. It is simply a push of the button. It is to cater to the casuals... who think the game is hard.

Deleted

Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 10-2
    Kingdom Hearts franchise

All miles ahead of FF7.
    Not too sure if X-2 belongs on that list, but yea FF7 suffers from what vanilla WoW suffers from; it was a game which came out at the right time, taking advantage of major tech breakthroughs for the time and were actually pretty good games in their own right. That better games have since came out gets lost as they come across at just iterations of FF7 and don't have the same "OMG epic" feeling simply because there has no sizable software tech jumps of that ilk since. I loved FF7 when it come out, but by the time of Advent Children's release I was already burned out on the whole thing and really couldn't care less what Square do but they really should stop believing internet hype, but you can't fault them on releasing a product if it still earns them money. Really, if a game is getting constantly rereleased it should be the buyers who should be asked if they are "losing it", but hey it's their money.On a personal note, I thought Tidus and Yuna's story was way more epic than the convoluted Sephiroth/ Cloud one but thats just me.
    Last edited by mmoc6765cb3ae1; 2012-08-17 at 08:38 AM.

Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 10-2
    Kingdom Hearts franchise

All miles ahead of FF7.
    Final Fantasy 10-2? Really?? Frickin cheezy game.

Deleted
    I wouldn't go around using the word "most" here, except maybe the FF7 fanbase is the most vocal about claiming that game is the best.C

Cloud and Sepiroth are a mediocre main character/main villian.
    The playable characters are only slightly above average (Barret aside).
    The materia system is a mediocre leveling system.
    The storyline is mediocre.

The game isn't bad, and is definitely a worth entry in the FF universe. Its just not the best by any stretch of the imagination.
    I think it comes down to what you played first, to.
    Always better memories of that.

That said, I believe 7 sold more, and Square obviously have a lot of faith in it; hell, they made about 3/4 spin off games and a film.
    You're entitled to your opinion, and while "best" is ALWAYS subjective, I am confident "most popular" can be attributed to FF7.

Its funny how pc gamers don't get ff9,10,12 and 13. But to re-launch an almost 20 year old game, we are 1st on the list....
    Last edited by rpm; 2012-08-17 at 08:43 AM.

I think it comes down to what you played first, to.
    Always better memories of that.

That said, I believe 7 sold more, and Square obviously have a lot of faith in it; hell, they made about 3/4 spin off games and a film.
    You're entitled to your opinion, and while "best" is ALWAYS subjective, I am confident "most popular" can be attributed to FF7.
    I played FF7 first. And, to be fair, the FF7 spin off games were really bad. And Advent Children was pretty average.

Final Fantasy 10-2? Really?? Frickin cheezy game.
    Not too sure if X-2 belongs on that list
    FFX-2 is to Final Fantasy games what WoW is right now to MMORPGs. People like to hate on it to hate on it.

FFX-2's combat system was absolutely phenomenal. The classes were great, and the leveling system was fantastic. The storyline was average, and some of the characters were lackluster, but its still a very, very solid game. In fact, I'd say that FFX-2's leveling system was only second to FFX's sphere grid.

FF7 is like BC. Everyone reminisces about how utterly amazing it is, although its actually just an average, solid game.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-08-17 at 08:48 AM.

Losing it? They have lost it. They lost it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Its funny how pc gamers don't get ff9,10,12 and 13. But to re-launch an almost 20 year old game, we are 1st on the list....
    FF7 has already been on the PC for years, they are just re-releasing it.

Its not like they went out of their way to build it for the PC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    FF7 is the "Best of Elvis" of games. Always another relaunch around the corner, and dirt cheap to do so.

Final Fantasy 9
    Final Fantasy 10
    Final Fantasy 10-2
    Kingdom Hearts franchise

All miles ahead of FF7.
    How can you miss out Final Fantasy 8? Why is it such an under-rated game? I loved it! It still holds a place in my heart as one of the best Final Fantasy Games of all times.