Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Your 100% write. Theirs two many people who don't no how to use they're words properly.
    I couldn't even come up with that intentionally, well done!

Deleted
    I have strong suspicions that this thread will quickly devolve into people deliberately using horrible grammar and spelling just to be "funny".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    I guess I can see the validity of your point of view. However, it lessens someone's perception of you. Of course, since we're all nameless "faces" on these forums anyway, what one random person's impression of you shouldn't matter, I suppose. :P

I only use shorthand when texting. I like having a full keyboard in front of me, and when I have to use only my thumbs, THEN I go bare minimum.
    if a person links the way someone types with their intellect as opposed to what they actually say then that says more about their own intellect and not the person who has "poor grammar."

tho when i'm on my iphone cuz of auto correct i write shit properly cuz i can be lazy XD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    if a person links the way someone types with their intellect as opposed to what they actually say then that says more about their own intellect and not the person who has "poor grammar."

tho when i'm on my iphone cuz of auto correct i write shit properly cuz i can be lazy XD
    Tbh, what he's saying is true.

It does not. Subtleties affect the way we think and form judgments everyday. There is no reason that does not spill over to internet communication; and there's a reason that spills over, because most of the time the suspicions/judgments are correct.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

rofl i have a first class degree from cardiff uni in english language and i very rarely ever use proper grammar + punctuation on forums lol

theres no point

if you can perfectly understand what some1 says then what the hell is the problem other than to wave the grammar nazi flag. lol.

the way i see it: if you're losing an argument u have 2 options, 1) call them racist 2) comment on their grammar.

eod.
    Is it that hard to just capitalise a letter or two, and finish your word though, making it even easier for people to read?

As someone studying the English Language you must know that someone would read: Someone better then some1.

You're and your are even worse. The most facepalming part about them is that they get actually mixed up by people consider themselves smarter than average.

10+ Year Old Account
    rofl i have a first class degree from cardiff uni in english language and i very rarely ever use proper grammar + punctuation on forums lol

theres no point

if you can perfectly understand what some1 says then what the hell is the problem other than to wave the grammar nazi flag. lol.

the way i see it: if you're losing an argument u have 2 options, 1) call them racist 2) comment on their grammar.

eod.
    that's the best response i've ever heard on the subject, u pretty much set words on what i was thinking and i always love when people do that
    Quote Originally Posted by christschinwon
    these isolated tracks really do show the playing warts & all which is a good thing. I'd hate to think that my musical heros were machine like perfectionists. Steve Harris is & will always be just a cockney geezer who also happens to be a fucking great bass player!

I guess. It really is a matter of perception, though.

If I were reading a scientific dissertation written by Stephen Hawking himself, and he used words such as "b4," "u no" and such, it wouldn't lessen his genius, but boy, I would've lost a significant amount of respect. XP
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It does not. Subtleties affect the way we think and form judgments everyday. There is no reason that does not spill over to internet communication; and there's a reason that spills over, because most of the time the suspicions/judgments are correct.
    People can choose to abandon proper grammar though. There's a vast difference between idiotic speech, or whatever you want to call it, and not bothering with checking your grammar before posting a thread / writing to a friend. I don't believe people are "lesser beings" because they either can't spell properly, or they don't mind a few wrong words in what they write.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Is it that hard to just capitalise a letter or two, and finish your word though, making it even easier for people to read?

As someone studying the English Language you must know that someone would read: Someone better then some1.
    You don't capitalize language ^_^
    Last edited by mmoc6223637058; 2012-08-17 at 11:38 AM.

Also:

"Could have" not "Could of"

"Could not care less" not "Could care less"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    i only use proper grammar for things that matter -personally- to me. an argument with some mongoloid on an internet forum who thinks they are more qualified than i am to talk about the english language means nothing to me. hence i cba wasting my time pandering to your whimsical, moronic, petulant needs.

you can tell im angry cuz theres really no reason to comment on someones grammar unless you're losing an argument and wanna seem intelligent lolz
    Last edited by mmoca7d90cf5ae; 2012-08-17 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Also:

"Could have" not "Could of"

"Could not care less" not "Could care less"
    But maybe they COULD care less. Maybe they just aren't trying hard enough!

Maybe that's an insult! It's saying that you COULD care less about what a person is saying, because it's stupid, but that would take effort that you don't want to waste on such a dumb idea!
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

No, but I am baffled at why people like you care.

What are you, an english teacher? When someone types something wrong or says something wrong, it is understood anyway. You're just being neurotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a degree in Psychology, and I can say that this pseudo-psychological internet crap isn't anywhere near on target. Some people have a peeve about proper grammar use, which doesn't make them any less intelligent. Some people read thing more efficiently when grammar is at least somewhat proper, like me for example. I can't read horrible grammar without stopping for a second to make sure I read what I think I read. It isn't really a peeve for me, but it is much easier to read.

On another note, some people are just trolls out being grammar Nazi's, which does show their intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    I guess. It really is a matter of perception, though.

If I were reading a scientific dissertation written by Stephen Hawking himself, and he used words such as "b4," "u no" and such, it wouldn't lessen his genius, but boy, I would've lost a significant amount of respect. XP
    Now I agree with you mostly, but only because Stephen Hawking has a reputation for being one of the greatest minds of today. If it wasn't for that, then you wouldn't have lost any respect for him if you had seen him use those words.

Looking at the people on the forums you can tell they aren't Stephen Hawking, so I personally wouldn't lose respect for someone over grammatical errors. Though there is one thing that bothers me: It's lose not loose. As in "We are going to lose" not "We are going to loose", I've seen this too often lately from both native and non-native speakers.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    No, but I am baffled at why people like you care.

What are you, an english teacher? When someone types something wrong or says something wrong, it is understood anyway. You're just being neurotic.
    He isn't being neurotic. Though I don't think you know what that word means if you're using it in that context.
    Last edited by Haizer; 2012-08-17 at 11:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Obviously trying to hard.

too*

...While at it I mean

Deleted
    There/their/the're can be explained by lazyness and the message is still understood. But when people write should of/would of/could of I just dont understand

i only use proper grammar for things that matter -personally- to me. an argument with some mongoloid on an internet forum who thinks they are more qualified than i am to talk about the english language means nothing to me. hence i cba wasting my time pandering to your whimsical, moronic, petulant needs.

you can tell im angry cuz theres really no reason to comment on someones grammar unless you're losing an argument and wanna seem intelligent lolz
    No, there's no reason to comment on someone's grammar, just as there's no reason to call out a guy who's wearing dirty, gravy-stained clothes to the mall. Everyone knows it and everyone's forming opinions about you, but there's no reason for anyone to comment on it. But it's there, and it's making you look bad.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-17 at 11:50 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    yes but that's a published document. in my dissertation i used proper grammar/punctuation, of course i did rofl. however on this meaningless forum where im not gonna be given a 2:2 for using words not currently found in the OED then i dont really care lol. stephen hawking isnt gonna comment on this thread, subject, or forum and if he did i think i might commit suicide because he'd be wasting that wonderful mind of his lol

to the above, yea i agree with you from a psychology stand point my 2nd argument has a lot less weighting but lemme throw out an example. a guild member of mine, lurx, has this sig on our forum: "Grammar is important. It's the difference between: Let's eat, grandma! Or: Let's eat grandma!" and i pulled him up on it cuz it's wrong with the following:

"when referencing a pronoun (in this case grandma is a pronoun) with a task (in this case, eating with grandma) the pronoun begins the sentence or clause so the correct sentence is "grandma, lets eat." in the case of the 2nd clause tho, while grandma is still a pronoun it is not being the focus of initiating the task, the task is being ... done to it... the reason is also due to 1 of grice's 4 maxims of conversation: when referencing someone to initiate/begin a task, you start with their name as it is considered polite and thus can keep a conversation going. example: "Dad, can you help with something?" as opposed to, "I want to help dad with something"

see? just cuz you string a capital letter and a period together does not make you more intelligent.
    Last edited by mmoca7d90cf5ae; 2012-08-17 at 11:52 AM.

We only do it to give Grammer Nazi's a headache

Remember when you comfort a Grammer Nazi for the headache to say There Their They're.