Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maestrino View Post
    Show me that soul DOESN'T exist and I believe you.
    Show me that there isn't a pink flying elephant in Antarctica that feeds off the tears of orphaned asian children, and I'll believe it doesn't exist. Why do people still cling to this argument again?
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-17 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    Science proved there is a soul by measuring the weight of it. The soul weighs 3/4 of an ounce. I'm surprised people don't know about this and then claim there isn't such a thing as a soul. The soul was weighed by Dr. Michael MacDougall in 1907.

According to Sylvia Brown, a well-known psychic, the soul enters the body shortly before birth. So no, an embryo doesn't have a soul, and the fetus doesn't have a soul either until it's about a month away from being born.

In short, yes, I believe everyone has a soul. I believe animals have souls. I don't need to prove it because it doesn't matter if you believe in it or not.

For further reading: http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp
    Sylvia Brown is one of the worst frauds/charlatans around, and who has been caught very publicly in her frauds. Please don't quote anything from her if you wish to be taken seriously at all.

By the way, the doctor who claimed to have weighed the soul used a flawed experiment and his results have never been able to be replicated. His experiment is considered to have no scientific merit.
    Last edited by ptwonline; 2012-08-17 at 03:59 PM.

Show me that soul DOESN'T exist and I believe you.
    Prove the Invisible Pink Unicorn doesn't exist. Prove that there is no Flying Spagetti Monster. Prove that Russel's Teapot doesn't exist. Prove that I don't have a fire breathing dragon in my room. You can't prove a negative, to even make such a suggestion is silly.

Anyway all I was saying is that there is no evidence. If you don't believe me, then go find that evidence.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-17 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    If you want to discuss it, an internet board isn't how you should be going about it. Just saying.
    And that is the sad truth. Open discussion of topics like this bring out the extremists too much to allow it to proceed.

Deleted
    Show me that there isn't a pink flying elephant in Antarctica that feeds off the tears of orphaned asian children, and I'll believe it doesn't exist. Why do people still cling to this argument again?
    Why not? If you are able to do that, I believe. That's simple. And why are you trying to compare "pink flying elephant" to the soul. Those are two different things, retarded approach to the subject.

There's nothing to get to the bottom of, sadly.
    There is, and that is how people continuously deem the soul as having to be religious in nature. It does not.

We do know the soul exists, in the practical sense (much like we know emotions exist), it isn't supernatural, it isn't religious - it is just not well understood yet.

Something should not be dismissed just because we don't understand it.

Why not? If you are able to do that, I believe. That's simple. And why are you trying to compare "pink flying elephant" to the soul. Those are two different things, retarded approach to the subject.
    So you believe that there exists a "pink flying elephant in Antarctica that feeds off the tears of orphaned asian children". And you do not in any way think that's just a tad ridiculous.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    We do know the soul exists, in the practical sense (much like we know emotions exist)
    How do we know that? More importantly, what is this thing you are defining as our soul?

Again, we can scientifically observe people experience emotions. I have yet to hear of anything observing souls in the conventional sense (but if you define it as consciousness or whatever, then sure, we do have it, and we can demonstrate it).
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-17 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Sylvia Brown is one of the worst frauds/charlatans around, and who has been caught very publicly in her frauds. Please don't quote anything from her if you wish to be taken seriously at all.
    Not every psychic is 100% accurate, so you've got to take away from it what you will and leave the rest. This doesn't mean what you choose to take away is accurate as well, but that's where belief comes into play. Do you feel it's true or not? If not, don't worry about it. If you do, then that's fine, too. Also, I'm curious; where were her claims caught to be fraudulent?

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up online. But this comes back to my first statement about not every psychic being 100% accurate.

The problem is how everyone who wants religion to shut up and keep to themselves don't shut up themselves. They keep trying to push their non-belief onto others. People need to decide what they believe and leave it at that. There's no need to shove belief or non-belief down others' throats.
    Last edited by caninepawprints; 2012-08-17 at 04:12 PM.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Any Life-after-death scenarios are human creations as it is in our nature to fear the end of our lives. If believing that dying wont be the end of your life helps people to cope with death then fine, but don't be surprised when you get there and you just end up as worm food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

We are so ignorant. We can't see most of the universe, really we can't see shit, at one point newtonian was the end all be all, the answer to everything and then we discovered new things and now it's quantum, whose to say this can't happen again?

Does a soul exist? Idk, I am interested in the theory that our consciousness is located in another dimension and we tune into our bodies like radios or televisions. Perhaps using our dna, most of which we have no idea what it does or what it's for and therefore we infer it's junk.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    How do we know that? More importantly, what is this thing you are defining as our soul?
    Just what the dictionary defines it as, no more no less.

Where it states that part of us which is not material. It notes also that whilst it is established that it exists, it is only a belief that it goes on after our death.

That is - the existence of a soul is an independent question to what happens to it after we die (much as the existence of our body is an independent question to what happens to it after we die).

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    Any Life-after-death scenarios are human creations as it is in our nature to fear the end of our lives.
    Discussion of a soul is not discussion of afterlife.

Completely separate discussions.

Some people believe our body comes back after we die in an afterlife - that discussion is COMPLETELY independent of the discussion about the existence of the body while you are alive.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Perhaps using our dna, most of which we have no idea what it does or what it's for and therefore we infer it's junk.
    There is thought that DNA is the true life form, that we are merely a tool of its propagation. Maybe our soul is indeed the reflection of that true life form without us?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Just what the dictionary defines it as, no more no less.
    You say that as though dictionaries all have the same exact and precise authoritative definition for souls. Google define for instance notes that it is immortal.

Where it states that part of us which is not material.
    Emotions are, in fact, material. Once again, I can show your emotions to you in a lab, via a computer. Just because it is not readily obvious to human senses, doesn't mean it is immaterial.

(Although I suppose this also depends on how you are definiting "not material").
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-17 at 04:13 PM.

Prove the Invisible Pink Unicorn doesn't exist. Prove that there is no Flying Spagetti Monster. Prove that Russel's Teapot doesn't exist. Prove that I don't have a fire breathing dragon in my room. You can't prove a negative, to even make such a suggestion is silly.

Anyway all I was saying is that there is no evidence. If you don't believe me, then go find that evidence.

Well... if it's invisible, that means it's not reflecting any visible spectrum of light. Pink is a color we can perceive within the visible spectrum, so that means it's impossible for there to be a unicorn both invisible and pink, right?

Does this mean souls are real?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    According to Sylvia Brown, a well-known psychic, the soul enters the body shortly before birth. So no, an embryo doesn't have a soul, and the fetus doesn't have a soul either until it's about a month away from being born.
    Thank you for this. It has convinced me to look beyond my beliefs and now I support abortions right up "until it's about a month away from being born".

On topic: There is no such thing as a soul.

I'm always curious to see reasons why people think we need them though.

You say that as though dictionaries all have the same exact and precise authoritative definition for souls. Google define for instance notes that it is immortal.
    Most dictionary definitions I've checked state the immortality is a belief, the soul is not.

Emotions are, in fact, material. Once again, I can show your emotions to you in a lab, via a computer.
    This couldn't be done 50 years ago, does that mean emotions didn't exist 50 years ago ?

Just because it is not readily obvious to human senses, doesn't mean it is immaterial.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Well... if it's invisible, that means it's not reflecting any visible spectrum of light. Pink is a color we can perceive within the visible spectrum, so that means it's impossible for there to be a unicorn both invisible and pink, right?
    It's a name, don't dwell on what was meant to be a joke.

Does this mean souls are real?
    No. That would be a logically fallacy outright.

Deleted
    Discussion of a soul is not discussion of afterlife.

Completely separate discussions.

Some people believe our body comes back after we die in an afterlife - that discussion is COMPLETELY independent of the discussion about the existence of the body while you are alive.
    Completely different? Philosophically close enough.

Well as far as i know and wut i believe we are all some sort of energy so when everything dies it doesnt end in the death it just get transformed in anything else, wut?? we dont know yet, but thats how i liek to define as SOUL.

Sorry for my bad english

My opinion is this:

The soul is that part of us at the quantum level allows us free will. That part of us which if removed would make us automatons, bereft of choice or novel thought.

In essence it the RNG at the bottom of our code that makes us non-deterministic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    At our current level of science we cannot prove that such a thing as a "soul" exists, but neither can we prove that it doesn't, much like the afterlife and God. To discuss wether it's a possibility or not can be interesting, but to try to bring in "facts" in such a discussion is pointless.
    This guys says it best. It's a great discussion for those interested. But let's not bring in "facts" to an impossible question.