Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    do they also have a way to get friends into locked servers? Because locking full servers only ever causes huge complaints from people that now can't play with their friends.
    This is the only part that really concerns me. On one hand I want to and plan to roll on a high pop server simply because its the one with the most active guilds in my time zone planning to roll on it. On the other I can see that server filling up rather quickly. While most of my friends and guild mates will be rolling early access there are still several who wont till official launch or perhaps even later as they are the have to wait and see types. I can see this causing big issues. Sure we CAN transfer to another server to play together but if your playing on a server due to it being the best fit for your play times it doesn't make rolling somewhere else that may not be, any sort of a real solution.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-08-17 at 11:53 PM.

im pretty sure a lot of ppl will rather play the mop pre patch and wait for the gw join hysteria to settle before starting with gw2. i know for a fact that i will. Even tho ive pre ordered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoticehunter View Post
    And do they also have a way to get friends into locked servers? Because locking full servers only ever causes huge complaints from people that now can't play with their friends.
    Well, they are offering an amnesty period after launch for people to transfer servers until things settle down and stabilize, but they do kinda have to lock them due to the limit on how many ppl from each server can enter WvW.
    Valar morghulis

I think if anything happens at all, than it will be the login server crashing. That's always the weakest link it seems.
    And overflow servers don't help a lot if you're not able to reach them.
    We will see soon enough though.

But I honestly don't care much about a day or even a week full of struggles.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    I think if anything happens at all, than it will be the login server crashing. That's always the weakest link it seems.
    And overflow servers don't help a lot if you're not able to reach them.
    We will see soon enough though.

But I honestly don't care much about a day or even a week full of struggles.
    And from what I remember during the BE events was that when the login servers went down, so did the waypoints/asura gates/instance+city portals etc...etc..., they seamed to be linked to them for whatever reason.

Might have changed by now, but who knows /shrug :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    On the flipside, there are sadly a lot of people who will never try this great game because of experiences with other MMOs full stop.

My regular guild/skype group of ~ 12 people only has 3 of us playing it at release. A lot of them are just reluctant to commit any time to new MMOs because of the past few years worth of flops.
    Once the game is out for a few months and word of mouth continues, i'm sure they and others will jump on board

Well......that's specifically why they did the BWEs and stress test in the manner they did.
    Allowing a 2 month free-for-all tells you nothing about the stress servers will be under on launch day. They way Anet did it tells them precisely that.

So yeah...I don't anticipate that many problems tbh.

I’m not sure if I really agree. I mean, I hope it’s incredibly successful at launch, but I have a feeling a lot of people aren’t really reading up on it as much as people who frequent any GW2 forums have. My main worry is that people will purposely blast through content to reach the level cap (Because it’s what they’re used to) and then be all, “Wtf where is my endgame?! This is what I get for not paying a sub fee. Anet sucks,” when they realize there’s significantly less waiting for them at max level than there normally is in other MMOs.

I honestly hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s all that unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Laste View Post
    I’m not sure if I really agree. I mean, I hope it’s incredibly successful at launch, but I have a feeling a lot of people aren’t really reading up on it as much as people who frequent any GW2 forums have. My main worry is that people will purposely blast through content to reach the level cap (Because it’s what they’re used to) and then be all, “Wtf where is my endgame?! This is what I get for not paying a sub fee. Anet sucks,” when they realize there’s significantly less waiting for them at max level than there normally is in other MMOs.

I honestly hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s all that unlikely.
    This is what happened to SWToR and they had end game raids, cinematic leveling experience, companions, Legacy and some of the best PvP there is and it died. GW2 has the World PvP which SWToR failed at out of the hole but GW2 has slower, clunkier character movements. They both need decent rigs to run the game in an enjoyable state.

SWToR Has PvP rewards in gear upgrades giving you a reason to PvP other than fun, GW2 lacks this.

GW2 offers up instant transfers but it takes a month or so to find out you're on a dead server.

It's a close call, the F2P definitely helps GW2 tremendously but a lot of people want rewards for PvP and endgame, GW2 offers costume upgrades, Hmmmm I dunno

Well......that's specifically why they did the BWEs and stress test in the manner they did.
    Allowing a 2 month free-for-all tells you nothing about the stress servers will be under on launch day. They way Anet did it tells them precisely that.

So yeah...I don't anticipate that many problems tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    This is what happened to SWToR and they had end game raids, cinematic leveling experience, companions, Legacy and some of the best PvP there is and it died. GW2 has the World PvP which SWToR failed at out of the hole but GW2 has slower, clunkier character movements. They both need decent rigs to run the game in an enjoyable state.

SWToR Has PvP rewards in gear upgrades giving you a reason to PvP other than fun, GW2 lacks this.

GW2 offers up instant transfers but it takes a month or so to find out you're on a dead server.

It's a close call, the F2P definitely helps GW2 tremendously but a lot of people want rewards for PvP and endgame, GW2 offers costume upgrades, Hmmmm I dunno
    Problem is with SWToR, it was WoW but with the interactive story gimmick. If people skip this, they just get WoW but they don't have any stuff, so they just go back to WoW, where they do have stuff.

I honestly don't care if this game doesn't sell loads. I'll be playing it, and I'll be on a high population server. I don't want to play video games with people who need to be chasing a carrot to have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    They'll sell over a million the first day due to its hype and B2P nature. I'm expecting 1.7 million. I expect the game to do well for both of those earlier points but also because it is so group friendly so you'll want your friends playing with you. Sadly, I do not know about their capacities.
    Expect 6 million the first month.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I don't even think they'll have sold 6 million this time next year, tbh.

I think that's a bit extreme, maybe 2 mill the first month.

Down the line maybe. No way that's happening in the first month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I understand what you are saying?

You'd be surprised at how many people want PvP that's fair and not imbalanced due to gear grinds.
    http://i.imgur.com/qd7Uc.jpg
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Hoticehunter View Post
    And do they also have a way to get friends into locked servers? Because locking full servers only ever causes huge complaints from people that now can't play with their friends.
    You don't have to be on the same server to play together. The only thing requiring the same server is to join up for wvw, and as others have said if that's a big deal for you you have a week to make a free server xfer.

EDIT: and if you decide to xfer more than a week later, you can purchase a server xfer with in game gold.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2012-08-18 at 01:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post

You'd be surprised at how many people want PvP that's fair and not imbalanced due to gear grinds.
    http://i.imgur.com/qd7Uc.jpg
    LoL is popular for just that reason. GW2 I have a feeling will reach just under 3 million on launch day.

GW2 has the World PvP which SWToR failed at out of the hole but GW2 has slower, clunkier character movements.
    I played ToR and i found the character movements to be very sluggish and annoying. PvP in ToR was all so very bad(due to the combat system being clunky and non-responsive), while GW2 system is fluid and no clunkiness. I find GW2 PvP system a lot better since it's based on "Skill" and not "gear" like the other mmo's.

The only things that will keep people away are if they played GW1, had a negative experience and dismiss this game outright thinking it to be a sequel. The other would be those that can't afford a game at this time or are pot-committed to another game.

Other than that full steam ahead.