Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question about Role-Playing Servers

So like many others I'm still debating which server to go on, but I've narrowed it down to either a US PVE server or perhaps a RP server.
    In the few mmo's I've played, I've always chosen a PVP server although I focus more on PVE. I have never played on a RP server and I would like to try something different for once.
    This site help narrow down a couple of servers for me, and you can cast in your vote as well.

So,is there anyone who have ever played on a RP server in any MMO able to tell me if people actually RP in these servers? And do people actually progress by also doing PVE/P? I feel like if I join a role-playing server that I can feel more connected to this game, not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like my experience will be very different in a good and interesting way. I've never role-played before but I know I'll really enjoy it if players act and treat one other the way their chosen race would.

So.. anything?
    Last edited by Javey; 2012-08-17 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    well I have tried it once on wow, and not many people stick to what blizzard intended to do with these RP servers, besides that most of the people speak appropriate english without "ur" and such. there isn't much more I can tell you, I guess you'll just have to find out yourself instead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarqon View Post
    well I have tried it once on wow, and not many people stick to what blizzard intended to do with these RP servers, besides that most of the people speak appropriate english without "ur" and such. there isn't much more I can tell you, I guess you'll just have to find out yourself instead
    Yeah I had an idea that people may speak properly as a way of role-playing. And I've played WoW for 5 years and I know for sure that even in RP servers there people wouldn't RP.
    I would like to try for myself, but I don't think I can judge a difference within one week, remember we're given the first week for free server transfers. :/
    Last edited by Javey; 2012-08-17 at 05:31 PM.

There are no different server types in GW2, neither are there any official rp-servers, however piken square (eu) and tarnished coast (us) have been chosen as the unofficial rp servers by the rp community.

Here you can find more info about the rp in GW2: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/forum

I've been playing on a RP server in WoW for better years of my WoW gaming career. Obviously, people spent most of their time roleplaying on the said realm. It would have people who would do roleplay and others who didn't(doesn't means people who ruin it). The same people roleplaying also did PvP and PvE. The realm was lacking in terms of PvE progression compared to other realms, but I doubt that would be a problem in GW2.

Site you might find useful if you choose to roll on an unofficial RP realm! Basically points people to the two roleplaying realms for both US and EU.
    http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Javey View Post
    So like many others I'm still debating which server to go on, but I've narrowed it down to either a US PVE server or perhaps a RP server.
    In the few mmo's I've played, I've always chosen a PVP server although I focus more on PVE. I have never played on a RP server and I would like to try something different for once.
    This site help narrow down a couple of servers for me, and you can cast in your vote as well.

So,is there anyone who have ever played on a RP server in any MMO able to tell me if people actually RP in these servers? And do people actually progress by also doing PVE/P? I feel like if I join a role-playing server that I can feel more connected to this game, not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like my experience will be very different in a good and interesting way. I've never role-played before but I know I'll really enjoy it if players act and treat one other the way their chosen race would.

So.. anything?
    What happens is guilds that RP. The community as it is don't really care and will even try to diminish your experience. Since in GW2 you can just guest in other servers, you could pick a RP server and join a guild there to RP (they usually make alliances which can be brought to PvP and such and go for a more PvE centered server when you decide to do so. Or the other way around, choose a PvE server and guest on a RP server joining a guild there.

I think if you find a nice Guild, as I did a few times in WoW. You can certainly enjoy some RP with events and battles.

Deleted
    I hope there will be a decently populated RP PvP server. I was on Sporeggar EU RPPvP in WoW and there were like 3 RPers on the entire Alliance side (I'm not even joking), could never find any decent RP - Or PvP, for that matter. Or PvE. It was very underpopulated.

I like RP, I like crushing skulls. Is being able to do both on one server too much for a man to ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I hope there will be a decently populated RP PvP server. I was on Sporeggar EU RPPvP in WoW and there were like 3 RPers on the entire Alliance side (I'm not even joking), could never find any decent RP - Or PvP, for that matter. Or PvE. It was very underpopulated.

I like RP, I like crushing skulls. Is being able to do both on one server too much for a man to ask?
    Exactly how I feel, except replacing PVP with PVE.
    Well, I guess I can do as Zilong said, and join a PVE server since that's what I'm into anyways, and guest on Tarnished Coast, which is the server chosen by many role-players.

I've never really understood how people roleplay in an MMO.

player: "I am a great hero! I have slain the ArchDuke of Ultimate Evil!"

observer: "nice, but so has he...and him...and him and her and...well pretty much everyone"

In other words, in a world where everything respawns after it's vanquished and the vast majority of characters are heroes, I've never been able to get my head around how you would roleplay that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post

observer: "nice, but so has he...and him...and him and her and...well pretty much everyone"

In other words, in a world where everything respawns after it's vanquished and the vast majority of characters are heroes, I've never been able to get my head around how you would roleplay that.
    Very few people actually RP as 'the' hero who does the deeds shown in the game. Many I know simply replace "Dungeon A" with "Location B" that is similar, but usually containing aspects of their own stories, rather than going with a game's given baddies.

From my experiences, yes- people progress through PVP and PVE. I was impressed, coming from PVP servers to RP servers, where there were more high level PVPers than on PVP realms!

There's a lot of RP around, and getting into it isn't that hard. Just join a guild, go to a few of their guild run RP events and get involved.

If RP isn't your tempo, and you are on an RP realm, you don't -have- to RP. It's just a PVE realm where RP is an option to those who enjoy it. = )
    Last edited by Amaroq; 2012-08-17 at 06:33 PM.
    Meep~

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really not going to be a whole lot of "lol this is a PvE server" deals going around. People who only care about PVE will just stay out of the Mists. People who only care about PVP will never leave the Mists. People who do both, will jump between both.

This will be true regardless of what server you're on. So honestly, which server you end up on really only matters in regards to WvW, population, and where your friends are.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Most RPers refrain from mentioning things such as this in RP, for the reason you listed. We, the players, never get credit for our actions anyway. Varian killed Onyxia, not those other 40 people who chopped her head off once a week.

It's about creating and acting out your own stories within the setting of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    Most RPers refrain from mentioning things such as this in RP, for the reason you listed. We, the players, never get credit for our actions anyway. Varian killed Onyxia, not those other 40 people who chopped her head off once a week.

It's about creating and acting out your own stories within the setting of the game.
    This pretty much sums up my experience with roleplay in general. Good RP incorporates the lore and everything that's going on around you into building a backstory, fleshing out your character. Using Factions as an example, you didn't kill Shiro Tagachi. Anyone that claims they did (or that he even came back from the dead) has run away from the loony bin and should probably be sent back for the rest of society's sake.

I did that sort of thing (the in-character extreme skepticism) and definitely encourage any/everyone to do the same. Don't be the hero, be your own. Find your own battles, your own things worth fighting for, and make those your failures and your triumphs.

Please, tell us your story.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I was on Tarnished Coast during the beta where there were a LOT of RP guilds. They are very active, very helpful, and actually, many are above the average player. Many players during the beta were not fully immersed in the environment yet because there were so many questions being asked. BUT, this RP love definitely gave way to some of the best WvWvW effort and an endearing reason to help each other. Sure, people want to be their own heroes, but banding together is also a part of RP.

Characters boasted about how their guild felled the other team and so on. Guilds were even more eager to take on the mighty world bosses!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    This pretty much sums up my experience with roleplay in general. Good RP incorporates the lore and everything that's going on around you into building a backstory, fleshing out your character. Using Factions as an example, you didn't kill Shiro Tagachi. Anyone that claims they did (or that he even came back from the dead) has run away from the loony bin and should probably be sent back for the rest of society's sake.

I did that sort of thing (the in-character extreme skepticism) and definitely encourage any/everyone to do the same. Don't be the hero, be your own. Find your own battles, your own things worth fighting for, and make those your failures and your triumphs.

Please, tell us your story.
    But I DID kill Shiro. They even assembled a whole bunch of people and had a fireworks show for me. The emperor even gave me a weapon from his personal stash as a reward.

I guess if I were an actor I would be a method actor because I have to know the motivation of the character for doing things in order to decide how they should behave. That's where the problem comes for me with MMOs because if I were really in that situation, where everything respawns when you kill it, I would quickly lose motivation to do so (hey, that actually is what really happens to me in MMOs hahaha.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    I was on Tarnished Coast during the beta where there were a LOT of RP guilds. They are very active, very helpful, and actually, many are above the average player. Many players during the beta were not fully immersed in the environment yet because there were so many questions being asked. BUT, this RP love definitely gave way to some of the best WvWvW effort and an endearing reason to help each other. Sure, people want to be their own heroes, but banding together is also a part of RP.

Characters boasted about how their guild felled the other team and so on. Guilds were even more eager to take on the mighty world bosses!
    I've been hearing a lot of good things about Tarnished Coast since I asked this question here and also on Reddit. And also mixed reviews about RP players themselves (but of course opinions about groups are subjective). I've gotten really excited and I've made the decision to go on Tarnished Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39
    But I DID kill Shiro. They even assembled a whole bunch of people and had a fireworks show for me. The emperor even gave me a weapon from his personal stash as a reward.

I guess if I were an actor I would be a method actor because I have to know the motivation of the character for doing things in order to decide how they should behave. That's where the problem comes for me with MMOs because if I were really in that situation, where everything respawns when you kill it, I would quickly lose motivation to do so (hey, that actually is what really happens to me in MMOs hahaha.)
    I get what you're saying but the thing is MMOs give players the opportunity to play the main story handed to them and to also venture out and create a story for themselves separate from the main story. It's called creativity. That's why Kelesti said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Don't be the hero, be your own. Find your own battles, your own things worth fighting for, and make those your failures and your triumphs.
    If your story was basically a retelling of the main stories and quests that everyone has been doing then it really isn't role-playing, well at least to me, it's not your story.

Never play on a Roleplaying Server.

Argent Dawn EU, Goldshire Inn....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Never play on a Roleplaying Server.

Argent Dawn EU, Goldshire Inn....

Lol, Idk, I'm sure WoW had a great RP community on a few servers at first, like in the beginning but Idk, as the years went by and as game mechanics started to change, the focus of a player went from just having fun to "I have to get that gear and rank to have fun, or else no one would want to group/play with me".

{Bit of a SPOILER}
    Starting as a Paragon I killed Shiro and the Lich together in Abbadon's realm before I could play the other campaigns and kill them for the first time. I played Nightfall, EotN, Guild Wars, and last Factions, it made no sense in the time line. It would be very hard to RP that series of events, so I just think of my Paragon as starting out in the original now that I am in Guild Wars Beyond. What with the whole killing the fortune teller before it gets a chance to trick Shiro doing Nightfall first.