Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really, the only thing to consider when looking at low-pop vs high-pop is how populated individual zones are, and how difficult it makes some DEs when you're the only one around.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I been burn in the past before on low to low-medium pop servers in other MMO's. Im hoping in GW2 for a medium to high pop server.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always go for high. MMOs just seem like their meant to be played with alot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Really, the only thing to consider when looking at low-pop vs high-pop is how populated individual zones are, and how difficult it makes some DEs when you're the only one around.
    I respectfully disagree. There are substantial WvW considerations. 1) You want to be competitive and you want teammates to be playing WvW often enough to enjoy it whenever you hop in there and 2) You don't want to always have to queue for WvW maps, especially if you plan to WvW with big groups of friends and guildies. That's not a fun wait when you only got an hour or two to play!

I played on Jade Quarry for all BWEs and planned to stay there for launch with my guild, but it's apparent popularity now is worrying me (according to some sample data floating around the interwebs). Though I might just be nervous for no reason...
    Last edited by Jibjub; 2012-08-18 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    There are substantial WvW considerations.
    other posts in this thread have already pointed out that such considerations are null and void because of the way the WvWvW matching and balancing works.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Great input so far, it's gave quite a bit of food for thought and made my decision a fair a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    other posts in this thread have already pointed out that such considerations are null and void because of the way the WvWvW matching and balancing works.
    The matching has nothing to do with it. You can't take a castle by yourself ... or if you can, it's not nearly as fun. So even if you can technically win just because your opponents are equally as bad ... that doesn't make it fun.

That's like saying "You will be fielding an entire baseball team with yourself and two 5-year-olds, but don't worry because you will be playing against 1 adult and two 5-year-olds" ... sure it's a fair fight but that doesn't make it a fun one.

ALSO ... the matching system has NOTHING to do with queue times for overpopulated and WvW-centered realms.

So ... you, and any other posts in this thread claiming this "point", are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I'm going for high (desolation also), simply because it's the only EU server I know other people are going to so I might have a chance of playing with someone I know in wvw, although part of me is still wondering whether I should go to the US servers since I know more people there.

High = more guilds, more people to make friends with, more chance of being successful on wvw, faster moving economy... downsides are mainly that a maxed out server will lead to you being on an overflow server, but that's not really the end of the world, but also more people = more chance of some of them being idiots, but to me that's not the end of the world.
    During one of the betas, I wanted to join a friend on his server but the capacity was listed as full and I could not select that as my server from the get go. Do you know if this is going to be present in the release? I haven't been able to find much on that topic.