Poll: Have you played any of the Total War games?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I'm afraid I jumped into paradox's grand strategy train before ever trying out these games. Now they seem to simple for me, as do most civ games. sadly.

Deleted
    For anyone interested in strategy games I wholeheartedly recommend trying out Paradox's games. Not for the faint of heart though. It does well what TW doesn't do well, the campaign. Just wish they'd join forces for one epic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    I'm afraid I jumped into paradox's grand strategy train before ever trying out these games. Now they seem to simple for me, as do most civ games. sadly.
    Me and my friend played Napoleon TW campaign map thingy. We wasted 26 hrs on that sodding thing before we just realized "Hey, why aren't we playing Europa Universalis.
    The biggest draw to the series is definately the battles, but during a long campaign at least I get sick and tired of it and ends up auto-resolving most of it.

Not popular enough.

WTB Rome II please. Like, now.

I think CA and sega should really go all out on marketing Rome 2. Dont think i have ever seen a total war trailer on tv. Just show one epic rome 2 trailer on tv with thousands off troops clashing and people will want to get it.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2012-08-19 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    Played every one in the series all the way back to the original shogun, enjoyed them all although I didn't like napolean and empire quite as much but they were still fun. I think I suck at the tactics of the napoleonic times, I'm far more used to hammer and anviling the shit out of everything xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone remember a show on History channel where they used the Rome total game/engine to recreate historic battles? I cant remember what the shows called but that was the only marketing for TW I've seen outside the internet. It was pretty legit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mieme View Post
    Anyone remember a show on History channel where they used the Rome total game/engine to recreate historic battles? I cant remember what the shows called but that was the only marketing for TW I've seen outside the internet. It was pretty legit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decisive_Battles
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders
    Last edited by mmoca4abc3a051; 2012-08-19 at 04:33 PM.

I love the tactical boardgame half, but skip the actual battles.

Deleted
    Every total war is absolutely shit unless heavily modded. With mods in the other hand... Try out Europa Barbarorum after vanilla rome and you see what I'm talking about. Games after Medieval 2 have been quite horrible actually, no real mod support and I just couldn't find them enjoyable at all and I'm not actually looking forward to Rome 2 either :/.. Shogun 2 is awesome game with some modding to battles but the campaign map is just way, way too slow.. Turns take too long to complete and my rig isn't actually bad (GTX 560 TI, 8gb RAM Intel I5 2500K)..

Long story short: Without mods, close to unplayable, with mods they are absolutely fantastic games

Deleted
    I used to play the crap out of the first Medieval game as well as Rome and Medieval 2, but I always skipped the battles, I was only interested in the stragegy map.

So when I discovered Europa Universalis 3, I switched and seldom looked back.

Deleted
    The problem is some Total Wars are amazing, some are just a bit meh to say the least.

I've played all the games in the series all the way from Shogun I and I loved Empire/Rome (Medieval II was pretty decent too), but really have not enjoyed Shogun II. The huge epic campaigns and maps I love, the "smaller" feeling worlds that they create in Shogun II just felt a bit too small tbh.

Must say though I always played it for the strategy side, the battles I would drop into every now and again when the odds were not in my favour so I'd stand a chance of winning but usually played battles just because I knew in a lot of circumstances the AI would lose it for me more than because I enjoyed the battles.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2012-08-19 at 07:29 PM.

Deleted
    Love em, especialy the Medieval ones. Hoping they will be doing a Medieval 3 after Rome 2.