Deleted

Windows 7 - cannot end processes!

Wondering if anyone can shine some light on this. Most of the google searches I've done for it have lead me to believe there isn't a soloution (other than reinstalling my OS).

For some reason, I'm unable to end CERTAIN process via ctrl alt delete.

A problem associated with this, is that I am not able to open up some of my games (such as starcraft 2) as it says something is already running and the downloader won't work.

It's getting pretty annoying- is there anything I can do, before I ifnally give in and reinstall my OS?

Also quick second question:

If I was going to upgrade my computer's processor from the current 1.3GHZ dual to a qudcore - would I see an impressive performance increase when running games such as guildwars 2?

I've never encountered the ''cannot end processes'' problem, I've only seen the ''End application task'' fail numerous times.

As for the CPU, anything you can buy today would be better than a 1.3Ghz dualcore (as long as you don't buy it in an antique-shop).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obaama View Post
    Wondering if anyone can shine some light on this. Most of the google searches I've done for it have lead me to believe there isn't a soloution (other than reinstalling my OS).

Without any details it's hard to say much about the problem.
    You should be able to terminate most processes with some effort. The million dollar question of course is: what process are you trying to kill and why do you think you have to kill it.

Deleted
    Hi again.

Specs are:

Intel core 2 duo CPU E8400 3.00 GHZ
    4GB ram
    560TI graphics card.

Running 32bit windows 7 atm, but tempted to switch to 64bit if I find a decent upgrade to my mobo/ processor.
    Last edited by mmoca3236ac07d; 2012-08-18 at 05:45 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds like you're trying to end the process in the incorrect way.

You need to go into the Task Manager Process list and End Process directly by selecting the process you wish to terminate. If you do it by other means Windows will use different less authoritative API to coax the application into gracefully ending. Basically if you want to kill it, use that method.

Deleted
    how is it current 1.3 ghz if its a 3 ghz core 2 duo?

Also going to 64 bit will only make the pc slower on older hardware as 64 bit windows is much larger and uses more ram and cpu to shift its higher ram usage around.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-08-18 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted
    There used to be a really weird issue with a graphics driver that would cause the driver to elevate the program to system-level, thus making it impossible for a user/admin to shut the program down.

Another interesting aspect is that if you were running Windows 8 - then it would perform its "Fast Boot" 'shut down' with said program(s) included.

Quite annoying when it did that.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-08-18 at 11:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to say get windows explorer to restart by ending it's process, but that would be redundant...

You could try the other 2 methods here but I never tried them so good luck. And I am only guessing this is the problem you are having. Also not sure if these solutions will work for windows 8, worth a try though right?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    It's strange that no one mentioned that the following is what happens when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL in windows 7 as it will bring up a menu - at the bottom should be Start Task Manager - in Task Manager there tabs for Processes and Applications where you can select and then right click the program/process to bring up an options menu or click the End Task button at the bottom. To access Task Manager another way is to right click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by obaama View Post

Which processes? Can you list the exact name?