Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Off the grid living..

Or something similar. Do any of you guys ever consider it? My husband and I always joked about the "Zombie Apocalypse" but
    if there was a type of disaster what would your plan be? My ultimate dream is to have a cabin, just a basic one room open cabin
    with solar panels and total self sustainability. My husband and I have started collecting different tid bits of information like:

• Different types of medicinal herbs, and where to find them. As well as storage and dosage and a picture
    • Ways to properly and safely store meat and how to skin and drain them correctly.

Anyways that's just a few things we like to do in some of our downtime. Kinda weird I guess but hey to each their own.
    Anyways, (I ramble sorry) again, what would YOUR plan be and are you already getting things together in case of some
    kind of disaster?

Deleted
    Not really off the grid living, but my dream is to become largely self-sufficient at some point. That means a house in the country, solar panels for power, well for water, enough land for animals (pigs, sheep, a cow or two and chickens, maybe a horse too) and to farm. I've grown in the countryside so I'm quite able in caring for animals, hunting, fishing, slaughtering and all that's involved, and know a thing or two about local medicinal herbs.
    So not preparing for any disaster per say, but to live off the land since that's what's in abundance over in our part of the world.

I would be fine living off the grid as long as I kept my health. I'm first aid trained, and I can handle blood but I wouldn't be able to deal with any local medicines or herbs for help.

Other then that I would be fine with healing with handling raw meat, looking after myself and general other "Off the Grid" tasks.

Just go super over the top on it and you can be on Doomsday Preppers...

I cant believe that those people even exist...

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Not really off the grid living, but my dream is to become largely self-sufficient at some point. That means a house in the country, solar panels for power, well for water, enough land for animals (pigs, sheep, a cow or two and chickens, maybe a horse too) and to farm. I've grown in the countryside so I'm quite able in caring for animals, hunting, fishing, slaughtering and all that's involved, and know a thing or two about local medicinal herbs.
    So not preparing for any disaster per say, but to live off the land since that's what's in abundance over in our part of the world.
    This is kind of funny lol. You live in Finland (often considered among the most developed countries in the world) and know a thing or two about farming, and then i look at your avatar and see a Caprican that's sort of like that too. Also my favourite character in Battlestar Galactica. Oh good that show is good. Sorry for the off topic.

Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Korenah View Post
    • Different types of medicinal herbs, and where to find them. As well as storage and dosage and a picture
    • Ways to properly and safely store meat and how to skin and drain them correctly.

Anyways that's just a few things we like to do in some of our downtime. Kinda weird I guess but hey to each their own.
    Anyways, (I ramble sorry) again, what would YOUR plan be and are you already getting things together in case of some
    kind of disaster?
    I do know that while the red herb on its own does nothing, if you combine it with the green herb, it increases it's healing powers substantially!

And by that I mean, I could combine my practical science knowledge and my practical skills to build a refrigeration system that runs off of a burning pile of debris. I would essentially be a god in the post apocalyptic world.

Few mates of mine have '72 hour bags'. Basically everything you need to be able to survive for at least 72 hours. After that time you should be in a fairly stable situations (found water source, food source, etc.).

I don't think it's a bad idea really, might make one myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely off the grid does not really appeal to me. While not particularly social, I don't think I could do without some real life human contact for too long. Not to mention I don't know enough about agriculture to start or run a farm, so I would end up eating like only meat.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to do it for a short period of time. Unfortunately, I've gotten much too comfortable with all the luxuries my current life entails.

I do have a bug out bag/get home bag/disaster preparedness bag just in case SHTF.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'd love to do it for a short period of time. Unfortunately, I've gotten much too comfortable with all the luxuries my current life entails.

I do have a bug out bag/get home bag/disaster preparedness bag just in case SHTF.
    In principal, SHTF kits seem like a good idea, however, you would end up relying upon something that can be lost or stolen (and would be in high demand to thieves at the time) at a time that requires as much resourcefulness as possible.

So your best bet is to figure out how to go into such a situation empty handed and still avoid a Darwin Award.

Because if you're carrying around a big hockey bag, and let's just say you're in a crowd running away from zombie godzillas, everybody is going to know that bag is full of valuable shtuff. So you end up wasting even more energy fighting off people trying to steal it as well, or you could become injured in an altercation trying to defend your bag, and either way, you end up requiring more energy than you would otherwise have, if you slipped, invisible and empty handed, through the rabble.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-08-18 at 04:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    In principal, SHTF kits seem like a good idea, however, you would end up relying upon something that can be lost or stolen (and would be in high demand to thieves at the time) at a time that requires as much resourcefulness as possible.

So your best bet is to figure out how to go into such a situation empty handed and still avoid a Darwin Award.

Because if you're carrying around a big hockey bag, and let's just say you're in a crowd running away from zombie godzillas, everybody is going to know that bag is full of valuable shtuff. So you end up wasting even more energy fighting off people trying to steal it as well, or you could become injured in an altercation trying to defend your bag, and either way, you end up requiring more energy than you would otherwise have, if you slipped, invisible and empty handed, through the rabble.
    Of course in any SHTF situation, you can never predict the circumstances, but I would never go to a populated area with by disaster bag. Head for the hills and all that jazz.

Though I do agree that relying completely on nature and ingenuity alone would be ideal. But things like water purification tablets, waterproof matches, basic first aid kits, are a must have.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Of course in any SHTF situation, you can never predict the circumstances, but I would never go to a populated area with by disaster bag. Head for the hills and all that jazz.

Though I do agree that relying completely on nature and ingenuity alone would be ideal. But things like water purification tablets, waterproof matches, basic first aid kits, are a must have.

eh, all you need is one gun, and enough ammo to acquire a replacement gun. :P

I'm just saying you're not alone. There's going to be thousands of people running for the hills with disaster bags, and you'll all have a bullseye on your heads. If you specifically don't get plucked out and killed for your swag, it's by pure luck. Even if you have a sidearm for personal defense, the first striker has a huge tactical advantage.

So I predict in such a situation your best bet would be to keep a low profile to start out with. Concealed weapon only, nothing of either intrinsic or monetary value (wear thrifty clothes, travel empty handed).

So the best design for an SHTF situation would be a hybrid of your idea. Head for the hills empty handed, and your best bet is to have your SHTF kit hidden at home, and protected from the elements. So you want to be able to escape with the crowd, but come back for it at a later time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Your concerns are understandable, and most people who pack disaster bags for zombie apocalypse or any other disaster know this. Defending yourself from other people may be more important than protecting yourself from whatever disaster is around the corner. Disasters are unpredictable, but you can always trust a hungry man to do anything in his power to feed his family, even if it may doom yours.
    Last edited by kailtas; 2012-08-18 at 04:35 PM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

I think it's sortof interesting to learn how to be more self sufficient anyway... I already know how to catch, clean and cook a fish. I know a little bit about foraging. I wouldn't mind going off the grid eventually. Not in a hermit sortof way, but less dependent on electricity and fossil fuels, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread sounds like /k/.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I already live "off the grid" in Norway. So I suppose I'm safe for now. Plentiful supply of food and water, even though it might be rather limited during winter. We'll see how it pans out in the end ... if you know what I mean :-)

It's entirely possible.

Google Cody Lundin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming infinite resources, I'd create a bunker that can house a few thousand people. The bunker would be COMPLETELY self-sustained, and everything would be recycled, so no one would or could (without my intervention) ever leave. It would be like a vault in Fallout, but better. However, with my current situation and my belief that nothing like this will happen, I wouldn't do anything and if I survived the initial disaster, I'd probably be dead within a month and that would be a best case scenario.

Deleted
    At my house we already have solar pannels, a well and we grow vegetables so we are pretty self sufficient at my house, still got a long way to go though :P