Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Denied heart transplant for being autistic

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...tism-mom-says/

Idk why they say "mom says" when it's the doctor who said it. Anyway this is ridiculous... I have asperger's would they extend this ban of transplants for autistic all the way to all spectrums?

Deleted
    You will be safe. Asbergers is far from what is considered autistic on a level of idiotic monkey iq. That guy who sits all day, can't speak or communicate with anyone / doesn't understand a thing probably won't get a transplant. Why should he? He barely knows he's alive.
    Last edited by mmoc6223637058; 2012-08-18 at 01:52 PM.

You really have to look carefully into this situations, and realise that anything you say or do is going to offend someone.

Personally, I don't know that to think in this situation. I can see a potential reason being that someone with Autism is unlikely to live as long, or perhaps as a fulfilling life as someone else who would've been saved by that heart, but on the other hand who are we to deny that option due to circumstances they can affect.

Decisions like this are NEVER nice, and the thing I will say is that the Medical Staff who made the choice I assure you were not happy doing so, and were probably heart broken. Remember also that a lot of these decisions actually go beyond the doctor, to a committee who only hear about numbers, statistics and pie charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

Idk why they say "mom says" when it's the doctor who said it. Anyway this is ridiculous... I have asperger's would they extend this ban of transplants for autistic all the way to all spectrums?
    If you read the article they explain he wasn't denied for being autistic, but because of complications that can arise due to issues centred around his autism. The major concern seems to be bad reactions due to mixing his current medications with those needed to prevent transplant rejection, but there is also the issue of whether his autism will prevent him properly managing post-transplant treatments.

So yeah, the head-line says "mom says" because they are reporting her interpretation, if you ask the doctors they will say they consider many factors to ensure the (very limited) supply of hearts go to where they will do the most benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    You will be safe. Asbergers is far from what is considered autistic on a level of idiotic monkey iq. That guy who sits all day, can't speak or communicate with anyone / doesn't understand a thing probably won't get a transplant. Why should he? He barely knows he's alive.
    I feel I am leaning this way. It is never nice to deny a life, but to deny one to someone else who has a firm grasp on reality, who understands the world and is aware of the situation does seem that little more heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    If you read the article they explain he wasn't denied for being autistic, but because of complications that can arise due to issues centred around his autism. The major concern seems to be bad reactions due to mixing his current medications with those needed to prevent transplant rejection, but there is also the issue of whether his autism will prevent him properly managing post-transplant treatments.

So yeah, the head-line says "mom says" because they are reporting her interpretation, if you ask the doctors they will say they consider many factors to ensure the (very limited) supply of hearts go to where they will do the most benefit.
    So he's not denied for being autistic, he's just denied for the effect of autism...

Deleted

There's a huuuuuuuge difference between a bad case of autism and aspergers, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

Pretty much this. The doctors can be objective where the mother can't. It sucks, but the sad truth is that the recovery that goes along with major heart surgery is very strict. You can't do much while recovering and if the patient is known to have occasional outbursts then the heart transplant would most likely do more harm than good.

Deleted
    Personally i agree with the doctors choice to deny putting them on the transplant list. His reasons are more than justifiable i think, the patient already has personality issues and trouble understanding the day to day world so something this large would be very complex and have too many risks. A transplanted organ would require the patient on immuno-suppuration drugs for the rest of their life, and even then the organ would need to be replaced in the future (10-20 years is the average i think?). Is it fair to force the patient through a complex dangerous procedure they don't understand even once let alone more times in the future? I think it's more humane in a sense to deny them the transplant and the complex life that would frustrate and infuriate them even more. It's a very sad situation however and i applaud the mother for trying as i can't even imagine how hard this all must be.

If you're capable of adhering to the strict recovery plan that goes along with major heart surgery then you'd be fine, but if you have random outbursts that no one knows the trigger to then you'd most likely be rejected. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of autistic children receiving critical transplants so long as they are able to adhere to the specific treatment plan.

So he's not denied for being autistic, he's just denied for the effect of autism...
    In a way yes...

No this isn't a very good example (as it dehumanises people) but... assume you have 2 dogs, one that is currently on medication for a heart condition and one that is perfectly 'healthy'.

Both fall sick with the exact same disease and you can only afford to inject one of them with a serum that will save their lives, however the doctors tell you there is a 90% chance the first dogs medications will nullify the effects of the cure. If you inject the medicated dog and it fails you cant afford an injection for the healthy dog.

The sad reality is that replacement organs are in very limited supply due to personal preference, religious reasons and so forth and sometimes doctors have to make some really hard calls, it would be a horrible thing to have to do. And sometimes the decisions made seem heartless when you have an emotional investment in the situation.

The man is currently taking 20 medications according to the mother so I don't see why further medicating would be an issue. They mention taking large amount of medications as part of the reason but he's already on a large amount.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-08-18 at 02:11 PM.

If I needed a heart I'd be pretty pissed if some shoulder bitter who was just gonna spend their life mostly sitting in a room drooling on stuff got one and I didn't.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Sometimes you need to make hard decissions, there are so many other people who need a hearth transplant that it would be illogical to take such a big risk for someone who is just... special?

I agree with the doctors their decission pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    If I needed a heart I'd be pretty pissed if some shoulder bitter who was just gonna spend their life mostly sitting in a room drooling on stuff got one and I didn't.
    You have no idea if he does that.

It really sucks, and it's really sad that something like this happened, but I have to agree with the doctors' decision. The reality is, there aren't enough hearts to go around to everybody who needs one, and choices like this need to be made. It may seem harsh, but it's not like they are doing it out of spite or anything like that at all.

For those of you who have never lived with a person who is autistic, they do understand what is going on around them and in the world. It takes them much longer than you and I to understand and comprehend but they eventually do.

If you or I touch a hot stove when we are young we learn right away. We may do it again but we knew it would hurt. Someone who is autistic will do it over and over again even after being reminded that it will hurt. Eventually it will "click" with the and they will understand.

Living with someone for 22 years and being around others with similar disabilities I can tell you they do know what is going on and by their reactions they want to do the right thing they just can't.

It's like they are trapped in a body.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scadouche View Post
    For those of you who have never lived with a person who is autistic, they do understand what is going on around them and in the world. It takes them much longer than you and I to understand and comprehend but they eventually do.

If you or I touch a hot stove when we are young we learn right away. We may do it again but we knew it would hurt. Someone who is autistic will do it over and over again even after being reminded that it will hurt. Eventually it will "click" with the and they will understand.

Living with someone for 22 years and being around others with similar disabilities I can tell you they do know what is going on and by their reactions they want to do the right thing they just can't.

It's like they are trapped in a body.
    While that is completely true, I would value a healthy person much more than an autistic, in this matter alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone that works with children with autism I can understand why the doctors did what they did. As with anyone changing meds can mess with you, but for an autistic child those meds can be for behavioral issues and they may not be good with doing a transplant. With behaviors again you would have to look into how they would behave , do they have a lot of SIB (self injurious behavior) and if so how often and how severe is it are as that would not be good for recovery after the surgery. Those are the kinda things I would be looking at but the doctors would know more and such. It's sad to hear this happen and I wouldn't be surprised if I hear more about it at work soon.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    The man is currently taking 20 medications according to the mother so I don't see why further medicating would be an issue. They mention taking large amount of medications as part of the reason but he's already on a large amount.

Because medications interact with each other. And they are probably under the assumption that they will do so in a way that will likely cause sickness or the rejection of the transplanted organ.