Dejected UnholyDK PVPer looking for greener pastures

Unholy Death Knights aren't fairing too well with all of the nerfs, clunky mechanics, and, neglect from Blizzard. I am wondering how are Necromancers in PVP in GW2? How is it controlling minions? Is managing them a pain? Are they useful in PVP? In general I am just curious about how effective they are.

Minions do what minions do. You have basically no control over them. They will prioritize your target, but that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to control your pet, you'd have to play Ranger. Mmm, Greatsword Ranger....
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Minions are not permanent pets. They deal damage, but you are supposed to destroy them for the your benefit.

Here is one video showing / explaining necro pvp play:

Remember that your playstyle & weapons & build define how you play. Her is 2 build examples
    Power Necromancer:
    focuses on using Axe/Warhorn to put pressure through dps and dazing important moves (Eviscerate, Venoms, Heal, and etc). Then using your Staff to burst your target down fearing when necessary (heals, stomps, revives). If you are fighting a melee stack your marks on yourself.

Conditionmancer:
    focuses on applying bleeds and conditions through the use of the Scepter/Dagger combination and Staff 2nd weapon set. You stack as many bleeds and conditions, and use your blind (4 ability) to spread them. Switch to Staff and go hammy with it. Use the fear to disrupt the enemy team wisely (long cd).

And... we have necro thread here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...cussion-Thread
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-08-18 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onigumo View Post
    Unholy Death Knights aren't fairing too well with all of the nerfs, clunky mechanics, and, neglect from Blizzard. I am wondering how are Necromancers in PVP in GW2? How is it controlling minions? Is managing them a pain? Are they useful in PVP? In general I am just curious about how effective they are.
    Regardless of what the person below your OP says, you do have some control over your pets. You can summon up to 5 types of minions at anytime basically a small army. Also each type of minion has thier own abilities, some have CC other direct dmg and some leech life for you. Aswell there are unique minion abilities that you have access too, Once you summon a minion the skill on your skill bar becomes a minion ability these includes things like heavy dmg attacks / cc / self healing.

Also Necros have the highest susrvivability next to warriors and guardians. They may be cloth wearers but they feel like plate wearers. Also Necros have ranged / melle abilities so you can customize your playstyle.

other then being able to set passive / defensive or offensive for hunter pets theres not much diffrence bettewen necro minions and hunter pets.

Deleted
    MM Necro's are pretty naff in PvP. They can be annoying since the minions can soak up damage from ranged attacks etc, unless people use traits from piercing arrows/bullets.

Though I came from a UH DK aswell, I went with a Ranger instead due to having full control over my pet, that and I prefer been able to have a Greatsword/Bow etc.

Oh also, necromancer specific posts are best asked here.

Minions are terrible with their AI and lack of regen which causes an unfair cooldown balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Onigumo View Post
    Another fellow brother/sister of the ebon blade? =(

I too resent the terrible treatment DKs have gotten on the next expansion (Lackluster talents, boring new spells, zero new interesting toys, no new mechanic, and a seasoning of nerfs to every single one of our skills) and I can tell you that the necromancers are indeed the closest equivalent to Dks that GW has. (ignore those that say Necros are the warlocks of GW, that aint true)

How is it controlling minions?
    You don't. You summon them, they follow you, and attack what you attack. They have their own set of skills but you don't get to give them orders or tell them when and how to use their skills. Plus they last a limited time, though their cooldown is short, so don't be afraid to use them.

Is managing them a pain?
    Not really, you just summon them and forget about them, they will just follow you and attack what you attack, that's it.

Are they useful in PVP?
    Can't tell as I haven't played the game, but every time you summon a pet, you get the option to sacrifice said pet for an extra effect, and these effect look very useful. For example you can summon blood worms, they attack your targets and heal you a little bit every time they hit someone. If you sacrifice them, you get healed 15% of your health. For every pet you summon, you can sacrifice it to gain a beneficial effect for yourself, or a harmful one for your foes. Combine this with your inherent abilities, and yes, it makes them useful.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    I too resent the terrible treatment DKs have gotten on the next expansion (Lackluster talents, boring new spells, zero new interesting toys, no new mechanic, and a seasoning of nerfs to every single one of our skills)
    You missed the part where we were both DPS specs were in the bottom 5 PvE DPS specs for almost a whole teir! Oh, you mean the next expansion. Regardless, why blizz no luv teh deekays.

( Sorry for off topic, I REALLY like complaining. D: )

Buying the extra 3 slots at launch is starting to look more and more appealing. I better stop watching so many pvp videos.

We are trying to keep class related questions and discussions, please use the search tool as there is a Necro thread. Since there is a few answers here, if there are further questions please go to the Necro Thread. I'm closing this thread ~Zil