World Event Items

Did they ever consolidate world event currency and allow you to purchase previous world event items with it? I shudder to think how many things I've missed out on if I ever resubscribe. :P

No, but last I remember you can exchange one currency for another at a vendor...not positive on that though.

The currency exchange NPC was only available during the anniversary event. Several of the old currencies have been removed from the game already, and Dragon Tears and Magma Opals will be removed with the next patch. However, some of the events/currencies (the Snowflakes from the winter event, glass beads from the anniversary event, and the badges from the summer event) will be annual events, so you will be able to continue collecting them and buy items with them next year.

Some of the stuff that was purchasable with Dragon Tears before was purchasable with the Summerfest badges this year. I think Trion has said there will still be ways to obtain some of the old event items, probably as rare drops from rifts and such.

Ah, man. So much for holding onto all those currencies, I guess.

I was a hardcore collector when I played and having missed out on so much, well, part of me would just want to start over without anything. It really is all or nothing for me when it comes to vanity, it's terrible. >_< However, if there are ways to still acquire most (preferably all :P) things via drops then that's cool. At least there's a way

I like what I've seen of Storm Legion, but unfortunately I'm being pulled in 3 different directions. My bf wants to play MoP (which I am not wholly adverse to), my best friend may get GW2 (which also looks good but I've had no opportunity to play it), I kind of want to play Rift. It's all just chaos! I'm not the type that can play multiple MMOs either because they're too much of a time sink, so it has to be one, not all.

I know what you mean. I just started a mage (that new soul looks too cool to miss out on!) and I'm having a hard time with the fact that I have to start over with all my achievements and stuff. A lot of the world event stuff is account bound, which is nice... but what about my mounts and my pets? XD I don't know if they've actually added all the old stuff in as drops yet but they did say that was something they wanted to do... so there is hope, haha.

Play the game you wanna play! I'm juggling a few different MMOs, but Rift is still my favorite even though I don't know many people playing it.

I was hoping that Rift would take a cue from WoW's plans and make account bound mounts/pets/achievements too. Honestly, I think both games are coming into the account bound thing years later than they should have, but that's because I'm an incurable altoholic.

I'm definitely waiting until after the new souls are added to Rift. I figure I'll probably just start over in some capacity because I don't really want to hit the ground running at level 50 when I haven't played the game in over a year and leveling up with the new stuff could be fun.

I don't think the account thing is a big deal. To be honest there aren't enough money sinks in Rift. There is like NOTHING to buy except raid consumables and the odd crafting materials every few months. Death and respec costs are trivial too.

Mounts you have to actually buy seems a pretty reasonable way of shaving off a little bit of the plat-flation.

Well, for most people it's not. I just happen to be one of those crazies who plays multiple classes simultaneously depending on activity or mood. It just sucks when you go to summon a particular mount or pet and you realize, oh, that's not on this character. I guess overall it's a bit trivial, but all my alts having all the same vanity items would make the game more fun for me, personally.

It's tough to say about the gold sinks. While I don't necessarily have a problem buying vanity items for platinum if they were too exorbitantly priced then I'd still be in the same position of only one character being able to have it, like the Traveler's Mammoth or motorcycles in WoW. I could never afford more than one of those when I had an account full of ten level 80s, at least 6 of which I played regularly. So, in the end I actually didn't get to use special mounts that much because I'm never on one character that much. It's even worse for RNG drops because inevitably my least played alt would always end up with whatever I was desperately trying to get on another character. >_< This is why account wide vanity items would solve everything! :P

Truth be told, I've been seriously considering giving up vanity items in MMOs. I love them, but between a lot of them being one character only, limited time only, RNG, or the worst of the worst cash shop items, it just gets to be too much. I really don't think I'll ever be able to curb my altoholism, but I can learn to live without all the frilly things, reluctantly, for the sake of my sanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might be interested in the wardrobe costume you get with the 36-month Vet reward, looks cool on a female char

Hah! I'm nowhere near 36 months. :P I actually quit just a month before I would have gotten the 12-month rewards (and subsequently missed whatever they did for their 1 year anniversary).

I just got really burned out and it was WoW part deux. Every time I logged on I did nothing but grind. Grind rep, grind ISS, grind PA levels, grind the new world event RNG drop, etc. My playing dropped considerably. Whenever I did log on it wasn't for long and I didn't really have much fun. I'm no raider, so I had to step back and ask what I was playing for anymore. I didn't have an answer, so I quit.

I don't know if end game in Rift is any different now. Maybe history would repeat itself. I just hated that feeling of spinning my wheels on my characters, like I wasn't getting anywhere with them regardless of how much I did.

Well, that was an off-topic tangent. :P

Uh, back on topic! I really loved the armors/clothing I saw in Aion. (Never played the game, but have seen plenty of the styles.) Tera spoiled me in the looks department too. I adore Crucia's(?) armor, if there was more of that going around I'd be set appearance wise. :P

Well, if the problem is being an alt-oholic I am not sure there is a lot to be done. Don't really think there will be much change for the small segment of players that just have to roll their 14th cleric or something. Maybe they will have those sort of account wide things-- but they are meant to be time sinks so... doubtful.

Aion is pretty great. Not as slick as Tera, but it's a very enjoyable game for me. Aion blows away a lot of current MMOs when it comes to appearance and vanity options. Yes, even years later.

Yeah, but I doubt those time sinks are intended for altoholics. They're mostly designed for one character players. Same with gold sinks, when something costs 20,000g like a couple of the mounts did in Wrath I don't consider that realistically intended for multiple characters. Reputation grinds are especially painful and there have been complaints for years as to why people who enjoy alts have to do them repeatedly.

It's really an inconvenience that solely affects altoholics. Anyone who's a 'one main' type (which seem to be the majority of players) never has to go through anything a second time. I've certainly known my fair share of people who would have liked to have switched mains, but would have lost too much if they did in terms of reputation gains, vanity items, achievements, etc. No one really wants to go through all that more than once, especially when you have 2+ years built up into a single character.

I also think it's silly, especially with games that have multiple classes (which I feel should be treated as a feature), to have what is essentially a deterrent in place towards having more than one character. You already have to do all the gear grinds per every alt no matter what, which is to be expected, the loss of everything else drastically reduces people's interest in seriously sampling the other classes any given game has to offer.