Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How 'Big' Does the Game/World Feel?

Hey fellas, new to the forum and I've got a question:

How big does the world feel? For instance, I've read that SWtOR has a big world, but due to the streamlining of everything, and essentially putting the game on rails, it feels much smaller.

Vanilla WoW felt huge due to the lack of flying mounts and how far you had to progress to get your first mount. However, once flyers were added, the scale of everything dropped.

When you play GW2, how BIG does the world feel? I love that feeling of awe, when you see a huge city or a huge building and you feel so small. How much land is there to explore? There's nothing like getting lost out in the middle of nowhere. These are all the types of things that make a MMO so much fun -- the sense of scale.

I played RIFT starting last summer and plan on cancelling my subscription when GW2 is released. While I love RIFT, the world felt very small and streamlined. I seemed to plow through zones... and I absolutely hated that.

Just trying to get an idea of how excited I should be!

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

It gives me similar feeling I first had with WoW back in 2005... the world feels huge! Just one zone is pretty big.
    Nether less its bit different experience.
    However there is so much "hidden" stuff to explore that it really gets me excited!
    I also like the lack of any "flying" mounts, Im fine even with lack of any mounts. This game finally feels like an adventure, just like my first steps in WoW.

Deleted
    The zones are so square. I noticed while playing but that map really makes it obvious.

Also, loving the fact the cities are almost the size of a levelling zone.

Also daaaamn, CoF is still there? That's Citadel of Flame to you GW1 n00bz. How did CoF survive over 200 years? It was a friggin wreck when we first invaded that bag of crap.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-18 at 07:08 PM.

In gw2 you don't have mounts at all (but you can teleport to waypoints already discovered) so maybe being on foot really affects my perception but Areas felt really big and there are many of them.
    I'm not sure how to compare to other games but you definetly won't plow through zones, especially if you aim for a 100% completion. It felt bigger than wow vanilla but take it as an pinion so far.
    It takes quite a while to 100% complete a map (multiple hours)
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-18 at 07:09 PM.

thanks. i'll check these out a bit. want to have some knowledge going into the game but i don't want to spoil the experience.

Deleted
    Here is the nice things about the areas, when you think you have 100% just becouse you have all the waypoint,poi´s, etc, you havent actually seen it all becouse there are hidden things that isnt marked on the map ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    The zones are so square. I noticed while playing but that map really makes it obvious.

Also, loving the fact the cities are almost the size of a levelling zone.

Also daaaamn, CoF is still there? That's Citadel of Flame to you GW1 n00bz. How did CoF survive over 200 years? It was a friggin wreck when we first invaded that bag of crap.
    I am pretty sure it was called Cathedral of flames in GW1?, or am i mistaken on this one...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    I am pretty sure it was called Cathedral of flames in GW1?, or am i mistaken on this one...
    You're right, but it's in the same place. Maybe that's how it's still going! Did they build a citadel on it? It used to basically be an underground trap-filled... Cathedral, I guess.

Exciting none-the-less. Maybe the Flame Legion are using it as a base?
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-18 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    To help give you a more relative size reference I've marked the town that the video is of in a red square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    To help give you a more relative size reference I've marked the town that the video is of in a red square.

....wow. I'm pumped.

Deleted
    You're right, but it's in the same place. Maybe that's how it's still going! Did they build a citadel on it? It used to basically be an underground trap-filled... Cathedral, I guess.

Exciting none-the-less. Maybe the Flame Legion are using it as a base?
    Its not in the same place. Cathedral was up north in the charr homelands (dalada uplands). http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dalada_Uplands/Map Citadel is definitely a different dungeon.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-08-18 at 07:19 PM.

Deleted
    The human starting area (Queensdale) it has the same wide as the human starting area in WoW (Elwynn forest) .
    But Queensdale has double the height of Elwynn forest

There a catch (better to tell him , before other ppl come here shitstorming ) , in order to move from an area , to an different area u have to pass a portal (loading screen) . They did it for low cost Maintenance (no sub)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-18 at 07:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Its not in the same place. Cathedral was up north in the charr homelands (dalada uplands). http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dalada_Uplands/Map Citadel is definitely a different dungeon.
    Ah yes, I was confused because the Norn area is next to old Ascalon, but I remembered that the Norn moved south when Jormag awoke, which is why the Norn now occupy the former dwarf area of the shiverpeaks.

Still, Citadel of Flame? Flame legion area?

Deleted
    Ah yes, I was confused because the Norn area is next to old Ascalon, but I remembered that the Norn moved south when Jormag awoke, which is why the Norn now occupy the former dwarf area of the shiverpeaks.

Maybe the Flame legions last remaining hideout? Dunno, I'm not too familiar with the lore details.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-08-18 at 07:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    The human starting area (Queensdale) it has the same wide as the human starting area in WoW (Elwynn forest) .

There a catch (better to tell him , before other ppl come here shitstorming ) , in order to move from an area , to an different area u have to pass a portal (loading screen) . They did it for low cost Maintenance
    I don't even think that's worth shitstorming over. It's a good idea imo. It allows increased rendering of the immediate area and you don't have to load anywhere else in the world. So really, it will run better than other games that don't have this system, and it's easier to control area-specific crowding than other games without this system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post

There a catch (better to tell him , before other ppl come here shitstorming ) , in order to move from an area , to an different area u have to pass a portal (loading screen) . They did it for low cost Maintenance (no sub)
    I don't think it's there for the sake of maintenance cost, but because of the nature of Dynamic Events and partly because of the nature of the engine (Highly modified GW1 engine). It also has a lot to do with their server infrastructure, the zoning makes it possible for the overflow servers for zones to exist.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

There is a good chance it's 1 of the Flame Legions areas indeed, on what context we shall now when we get to play the game, but for now alot of it is speculations, which i like.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I don't think it's there for the sake of maintenance cost, but because of the nature of Dynamic Events and partly because of the nature of the engine (Highly modified GW1 engine). It also has a lot to do with their server infrastructure, the zoning makes it possible for the overflow servers for zones to exist.
    There are performance reasons too. Computer doesn't have to load other zones, the server doesn't have to send you informations about other zones (player actions and positions) when you're close to them. Etc.

The maps, even if they're square, give so much variety in their content you'll find the world very shifting, Ctivee and big.

Things Queensdale has:
    Bandit caves
    Grottos
    Lava crags
    High cliffs
    Lakes
    Ravaged battlefields
    Big, occupied towns
    Forts
    A swamp
    A quarry
    Lots of rivers and waterfalls, with caves near most