The Story Delivery Methods of Guild Wars 2

Emmanuel Carabott has another interesting video for us, this time about story delivery methods of GW2. Enjoy!

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of different stories that it delivers to the players in a variety of ways. In this video I go through the different methods that you as a player can make use of in order to experience the rich story of Tyria.

don't forget this wonderful article about the different kinds of stories in GW2 from the official Blog:
    http://www.arena.net/blog/telling-st...and-back-again
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-08-18 at 09:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor guy is starting to lose his voice. Great vid, thx.
    Valar morghulis

My ears.... personally I think the story from the start lacks immediate connection with yourself even though its a nice story its just hard to establish a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    My ears....
    charming

personally I think the story from the start lacks immediate connection with yourself even though its a nice story its just hard to establish a connection.
    which race's storyline did you play?

Didnt find the personal story all that great. So far it was kinda standard, and undynamic. Go to an area, get instanced, do stuff, run back to quest giver. I was bored with that about 3 years ago.

Maybe it gets better further on, but the Human story was very predictable. Far more interesting was the context they managed to give to areas and provinces through heart events, scouts and DEs or simple NPC banter.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-18 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Didnt find the personal story all that great. So far it was kinda standard, and undynamic. Go to an area, get instanced, do stuff, run back to quest giver. I was bored with that about 3 years ago.
    I'm confused, what did you expect from the personal story? Undynamic? There are tons of branches in the game and each of them is fully voiced. How would you do it?

While I'm not a fan of the presentation of the cut scenes, you do have more choices in the personal stories here than in other more well known story focused games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea but no MMO story can compare to bioware's swtor Im more pumped for pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBowie View Post
    Yea but no MMO story can compare to bioware's swtor Im more pumped for pvp.
    Each to his own, personally I can't play any Bioware game because the story is too advanced yet still on-rails. You can choose what you want to do but you still have to do that.

I prefer the Bethesda approach to complete story freedom. You COULD do what this guy tells you and get a reward... Or you could kill him and steal the reward from his corpse. You don't get that much in Bioware games. I guess it's the touting complete freedom yet not actually getting complete freedom that puts me off.

I prefer something not to be entirely based on the storymode that I have only a few choices in. Like I say - Each to his own, that's just what I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm confused, what did you expect from the personal story? Undynamic? There are tons of branches in the game and each of them is fully voiced. How would you do it?
    Not really seeing these ton of branches. The biggest choice i could make was do i go save X or do i go save Y? Which are both in the same area and dont make any impact on the story whatsoever.

And i did say "so far". Maybe itll branch out more later on as you get to choose the faction you join and such. But what was available in the Beta, meh. Not the strong point of Gw2.

And as far as i can tell the rewards dont scale, not entirely sure. Gw2 is about this wanderlust, the distraction upon distraction. The walking around and running into awesome stuff, and that takes time. It felt very counter-intuitive to deadstop this and go back to pick up a personal quest.
    And i personally had more fun roaming and doing DEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Each to his own, personally I can't play any Bioware game because the story is too advanced yet still on-rails. You can choose what you want to do but you still have to do that.

I prefer the Bethesda approach to complete story freedom. You COULD do what this guy tells you and get a reward... Or you could kill him and steal the reward from his corpse. You don't get that much in Bioware games. I guess it's the touting complete freedom yet not actually getting complete freedom that puts me off.

I prefer something not to be entirely based on the storymode that I have only a few choices in. Like I say - Each to his own, that's just what I feel.
    WOW it's like you read my mined.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Not really seeing these ton of branches. The biggest choice i could make was do i go save X or do i go save Y? Which are both in the same area and dont make any impact on the story whatsoever.

And i did say "so far". Maybe itll branch out more later on as you get to choose the faction you join and such. But what was available in the Beta, meh. Not the strong point of Gw2.

And as far as i can tell the rewards dont scale, not entirely sure. Gw2 is about this wanderlust, the distraction upon distraction. The walking around and running into awesome stuff, and that takes time. It felt very counter-intuitive to deadstop this and go back to pick up a personal quest.
    And i personally had more fun roaming and doing DEs.
    about the storyline branches this interview might be interesting to you:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/22/sitt...ls-us-a-story/

some bits:
    How many story combinations are there?
    From level 1-10, there are approximately 30 different storylines; those are based on character race, Biography and pre-game background choices. Continue that in tens through 80 levels; then add in the various different combinations based on internal story choices, choosing an order, and continued in-game Biography questions, and you can see that the aggregate numbers somewhere in the upper thousands.
    Also, within each individual smaller story piece, a player has internal choices that affect the outcome of that smaller tale. For example, a norn player is character is asked at creation to decide if the most important virtue of a norn is cunning, instinct or strength. Each of those answers defines a storyline, and within that storyline are choices.

A norn who chooses strength has the option in fighting their enemy; whether to assist in forging a powerful new weapon, or to summon the power of a Spirit of the Wild to increase their ability. Those two options give the player different objectives, different methods (and stories related to overcoming those objectives), as well as a different type of gameplay when they do face down their enemy in that storyline – with whichever advantage they chose to obtain.
    How many story combinations are there?
    From level 1-10, there are approximately 30 different storylines; those are based on character race, Biography and pre-game background choices. Continue that in tens through 80 levels; then add in the various different combinations based on internal story choices, choosing an order, and continued in-game Biography questions, and you can see that the aggregate numbers somewhere in the upper thousands.
    about the scaling of rewards. I experienced scaled loot, going back to a lv.5 area as a lv.20 player I looted armor for a lv.18 character. Not sure if or how dynamic event xp, gold and karma scales... I think it does not.

I just hoped the dialogues during the personal story cutscenes were a bit tighter.

Currently it goes like this:
    -Blablabla ?
    1-2s pause
    -Blablablo !
    1-2s pause
    -Blibliblo...

It doesn't really "feel" like 2 persons talking to each others. I would appreciate also if there was something happening, like images in the back or something. Voice acting (or dialogues ?) aren't anything to write home about, they're just ok for the most part.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-18 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm shared my extreme dislike of the personal story enough by now...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.