Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I want something that uses crossbows :3 I just like crossbows lol.

Bard.
    And I think perfect world did bard really well. Was a fun class to play around with ^_^

Just pointing out there is a real meaning of dragoon which is what most people would think of I would assume.
    Just pointing out, there are several different definitions of dragoon and when I hear the word dragoon I think of a warrior using a specific ability from a dragon.

And which would most defiantly not fit into gw2
    ONE definition might not fight according to your imagination because you can't see how they work.

Also, what role would this strange new prof fill? We have an offensive heavy armour melee fighter in the a warrior, and a more support oriented melee fighter in the guardian.
    Um warriors can fill a support role and guardians can go full on melee fighting only.

Not sure what this new prof would do. Also, lore wise it would nt work. Drawing power from dragons? Sorry, we are fighting dragons, the people who draw powers from them are the people we kil
    Nobody is drawing power from the dragons besides the minions the dragons created. If someone were able to steal a power and refine it, it will be a great weapon against the dragons (Whats better then using the power of a dragon to fight a dragon). Don't talk about lore that doesn't exist yet.

Sure I get it, it's cool to be the bad guy and all that stuff....but that wont work in gw2 where we have one faction and a pretty clear ovarching story about the fight against the dragons.
    Are you Anet? No? Then moot point.

I've not read anything I this thread that convinces me that such a class would not just be overlap with warrior or guardian, and the only justification I can see so far is that playing a dark knisght is cool..... Sry does not cut it for me.
    Yes for you, you want one mechanic of another dragoon? Interchanging armour based on what dragon's power you are using, giving a boost in a certain stat to fill a certain role and provide added bonuses when hit.

Ex: Drawing on the power of the earth based dragon being hit has a chance to summon an earth barrier to stop projectiles.

OMFG I USED MY IMAGINATION AMAZING
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-20 at 12:01 PM.

Who cares about dragoon! I want to turn in a real dragon infight! (think Manakete @Fire Emblem)
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Who cares about dragoon! I want to turn in a real dragon infight! (think Manakete @Fire Emblem)
    My point is, that people claiming there can't be a dragoon type class because of guardian and warrior are full of it and lack the sense to work in this career because of their lack of imagination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to post actual profession ideas then I realized we are on about the classes

Something like the monk from MOP would work for me, love it so far.

A Samurai, but in stead of the standard action combat, you pick your attacks in the order you want use them and then push "go" unleashing a set of combo's.

...maybe that's not a good idea, maybe I should get some sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I see where they are coming from Drake. Dragoons have to have a unique mechanic. That is what separates the classes from each other. So what do you imagine dragoons doing differently than warriors and guardians? If they are using fire-based spells, would they be offensive like an ele? Or perhaps defensive? Just want to get into your thought process a little as I also want dragoons in the game but I am having trouble making them truly distinguishable.
    Since it was originally me to throw out "Dragoon" for fun...

Uniqueness:
    Draw on the power of dragons to utilize different breaths to empower weapons (of self or target) depending on trait allocation or something (might be stronger if specced into it, or can do healing, etc.). Fire, Ice, Dark, Light breaths (as F1-4 I guess, not specifically those, just random..could be the basic 4, I just like Dark/Light breaths, lol) that can be breathed onto a weapon and lasts however long, changing some abilities or altering them to do damage/heal/whatever. Can also be used to actually breathe that fire instead of empowering weapon, granting boons/conditions or something. Because of this, this heavy armor profession would have a limited number of weapons (think elementalist but less skills at once, as the breath may change anywhere from 1-5 skills per weapon (maybe max at 3)). As such, with limited weapons and a new mechanic, it'd feel very different from the 16/21 weapon combos of guardian/warrior..

For instance: Each different weapon could have 2-3 jump abilities, then empowering/breathing on your weapon changes that jump to do fire aoe, or heal all those around you when you land, or inflict blindness for awhile, etc. There's plenty of ways to introduce jumping/gap closing and have it prevalent, without being overpowered. Like long jumps that stun, but also stun you for a second, or inflict damage to yourself.

That wasn't too hard. Like Drake said, use some imagination (though "Dragon Knight" probably fits better as a name in this case?).
    Y'all get too heated, lol.

Elite skill: Draw on the power of your currently breathed element, turning into a specific dragon.

Pew pew.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-20 at 12:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ryu of BoF also comes to mind. Oh and Dragon Power also just made me think of Natsu from Fairy Tail. So why not maube take inspiration from both and suggest a dragon slayer class that utilizes a dragons powers and has a transformation bar that charges to unleash ultra specials/a dragon form. In exchange they don't get weapons but utilize their dragon powers to determine first six attacks.

Basic rough idea of course but still could be fun.

Deleted
    True , a dragoon type like Shyvana, the Half-Dragon from League of Legends , would be a great idea :P
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-08-20 at 12:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post

Uniqueness:
    Draw on the power of dragons to utilize different breaths to empower weapons (of self or target) depending on trait allocation or something (might be stronger if specced into it, or can do healing, etc.). Fire, Ice, Dark, Light breaths (as F1-4 I guess, not specifically those, just random..could be the basic 4, I just like Dark/Light breaths, lol) that can be breathed onto a weapon and lasts however long, changing some abilities or altering them to do damage/heal/whatever. Can also be used to actually breathe that fire instead of empowering weapon, granting boons/conditions or something. Because of this, this heavy armor profession would have a limited number of weapons (think elementalist but less skills at once, as the breath may change anywhere from 1-5 skills per weapon (maybe max at 3)). As such, with limited weapons and a new mechanic, it'd feel very different from the 16/21 weapon combos of guardian/warrior..

For instance: Each different weapon could have 2-3 jump abilities, then empowering/breathing on your weapon changes that jump to do fire aoe, or heal all those around you when you land, or inflict blindness for awhile, etc. There's plenty of ways to introduce jumping/gap closing and have it prevalent, without being overpowered. Like long jumps that stun, but also stun you for a second, or inflict damage to yourself.

That wasn't too hard. Like Drake said, use some imagination (though "Dragon Knight" probably fits better as a name in this case?).

Elite skill: Draw on the power of your currently breathed element, turning into a specific dragon.

Pew pew.
    I like it. A lot. But it might have to be altered slightly so it doesn't feel too similar to the elementalist. Also, the elite is perfect, but what could other elites be? Or perhaps the mechanic itself could be turning more and more into a dragon? Also I imagine the class specialization to be burning, much like how Mesmers love confusion and Thiefs love blind.

Like the warrior, there are tiers so you can unleash your power; for example, minor might buff and burning to yourself for tier 1, partially transformed for tier 2 and give your allies a burning buff. Not sure if transforming into a dragon should be tier 3 or an elite, but we'll see.

Perhaps the class itself could focus more on the burning mechanic? Having attacks that refresh it, have attacks that abuse it, etc. That is how I would do it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Dear people talking about "lack of imagination". Until you provide some actual ideas on how your class will work; shut the fuck up. That is all. All you've all done regarding the Dragoon thing so far is get defensive and butthurt that I didn't high-five you for writing one sentence. It's your class idea, YOU back it up. Don't get mad that I challenged you on the identity; discuss it like a normal person would. Flesh out your concept like WorldofWorkcraft and Divinitum did. (Divinitum's idea is actually pretty sound aswell, I like it). If you can't flesh it out and make it interesting, then drop it and accept that it's actually you that has no imagination and realise the concept isn't as strong as you like to pretend.

The fact is the ones making the biggest stink about this have provided no game justification for their concept. How can you say it would be unique when you can't provide any discussion about it and resort to "lol use imagination". Like I said, it's not my concept; and yet I've still given more ideas to try and flesh it out than most of you.

Posting "I want an X" is fine. Maybe you want it "cos it's cool". If that's the case don't get into a discussion about it if someone doesn't think it could actually work. Accept it's just a fancy and move on.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-20 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I like it. A lot. But it might have to be altered slightly so it doesn't feel too similar to the elementalist. Also, the elite is perfect, but what could other elites be? Or perhaps the mechanic itself could be turning more and more into a dragon? Also I imagine the class specialization to be burning, much like how Mesmers love confusion and Thiefs love blind.

Like the warrior, there are tiers so you can unleash your power; for example, minor might buff and burning to yourself for tier 1, partially transformed for tier 2 and give your allies a burning buff. Not sure if transforming into a dragon should be tier 3 or an elite, but we'll see.

Perhaps the class itself could focus more on the burning mechanic? Having attacks that refresh it, have attacks that abuse it, etc. That is how I would do it.
    Well I mean it's different than an elementalist in the sense that with an elementalist, you're locked to 5 skills per element per weapon, and have no skills outside of that. With a Dragoon, I see it as you have 5 skills that have no elements attached (so you have 5 skills per your, I don't know, 5 weapon sets) but then breathing on them adds something or changes them and they either last an x amount of time or until you breath a different breath (most likely the latter). AKA your "Jump" ability either has the ability to just..jump with no breath on it, or have 4 other effects depending. Fire may add a ring of fire when you land, ice may make the ground erupt with ice sending anyone you land near into the air, dark may cause fear to those near you, light may heal nearby allies or cause regen. I'd probably limit it to 2-3 breaths though, as 4 may be a bit much.

Alternatively, you could have a dragoon using 1handers and not be allowed offhands. They breathe on the 1h, grip it with 2, and gain 2 abilities depending on what they breathe. 2handers would just have a couple abilities changed like above.

Maybe there can also be cross-breath weapons. Like you have a hammer...you breathe ice. Normally, ice changes your latter 3 skills to add ice aoe, chill, trail of ice spikes when you lunge, etc. to those power skills. However, you then breathe fire, and your last skill gains a water property (because you melted ice, obviously) and creates some sort of tidal wave magic available for use for a short period...

Burning could be utilized, but that'd seem like you're limiting dragons to fire, which is untrue. The first dragon in GW2 I saw was the Sylvari starting one (not sure what creature it was exactly, may just have been made to look dragon-esque) and it breathed trees/green energy...so...xD

This is just off the top of my head, I really hadn't planned to lay out this class. But if that's what the public needs...
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-20 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    snip
    I did, worldofworkcraft did, and other people did.

It's not our fault you are blind and can not read... oh wait

Like I said lack of imagination in your department. Which is why you are not a game designer and the people at Anet are. They made tyria, don't think a new class is out of their reach.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-20 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinitum View Post
    If a new class would be added, I figure it would be a soldier class, since there already are 3 adventurer (thief, engineer, ranger) and scholar (necromancer, mesmer, elementalist) classes, but only 2 soldier (warrior, guardian) classes.

After a while of thinking, I came up with the following.

Class name:
    I initially thought of warlord, but I felt that the class name sounds superior to the other soldier classes, which basically could be just footmen, it's also too similar to Warrior. All the classes follow a pattern of simple, single word profession names. I call it the dreadnaught for now, something like <shadow, chaos, dark> Knight could also work.

Class themes:
    A shadowy knight that employs dark magic to dominate his enemies and cause chaos around him.

Weapon profiencies:
    Main hand: Greatsword, Sword, Axe, Pistol, Staff
    Off hand: Shield, dagger, focus, axe

The weapons can be anything, I just picked something that differentiates from other soldier classes.

Class mechanic:
    Shadow Power
    Is displayed as a bar above player's health bar in similar manner as necromancer's life force or warrior's adrenaline. The only difference is that this resource starts as full (100%) and regenerates slowly. The player gains small amount of shadow power when he or she participates in a player kill and considerably more if he finishes the player off himself.

(optional) When the dreadnaught runs out of shadow power, his or her health equal to shadow power cost will be drained instead.

What abilities use shadow power then? There are 4 abilities (give or take) similar to mesmer's shatter skills or guardian's virtues above the player's health bar. I planned for these abilities to be toggled and last until cancelled, but there can be variety. Some example abilities.

Shadow Power: Bloodletting
    Improves condition damage. Your abilities apply bleeding, increases the bleed damage on abilities that already cause bleeding. Drains 5% shadow power per second.

Shadow Power: Consumption
    Improves Power. Removes 1 condition, grants Might and drains 20% shadow power every 5 seconds

Shadow Power: Conversion
    Improves Vitality. Converts 10% shadow power into 5% health every 3 seconds.

Shadow Power: Sacrifice (5 second cooldown, idea for some non-toggled abilities)
    Applies 3 conditions to yourself and grants 20% shadow power.
    ^This could create a nice synergy with classes that transfer conditions from allies to enemies, namely the necromancer.

Class roles:
    In addition to the traditional condition, power/crit, glass cannon damage builds, I'd design dreadnaught to provide support in a form of offense, instead of providing boons, reviving allies, he could fuck up the enemies instead. Give him abilities to interrupt enemy revivals, give him abilities that apply mortal strike-like debuffs which reduce healing done, reduce boon effects, or increase the damage done to that target. Give him abilities that steal boons from enemies and give them to allies. Enemies would think him as the douchebag of the battlefield.

When traited, the shadow power abilities could be extended to nearby allies or to nearby enemies as debuffs, giving "aura dancing" sort of a playstyle (see the Chosen class of Warhammer Online).

I'd also want to give the dreadnaught a class-specific condition (like Guardian's Aegis boon), called Mind Control, which, as the name implies, causes the enemy to attack its' allies for a few seconds. At least their elite skill would have this condition.

Dreadnaught Utility Skills:

Pact skills
    Blood Curse (30 sec cooldown)
    Pact. Form a link of blood between you and the foe. All the damage taken and the conditions applied also affects you or your foe.

Breaks stun
    (8 sec):
    Range 1200

Sacrificial Link (40 sec cooldown)
    Pact. Links you and your ally, damage taken will be split between you and your ally.

Range 1200

Parasitic Link (50 sec cooldown)
    Pact. Form a parasitic connection to a foe and his allies. Healing and boons applied on enemies also affects you.

(8 sec): Copies boons and healing from foes to you
    Radius: 400
    Range 1200

Insanity skills.
    Dementia (15 sec cooldown)
    Insanity. Causes your all foes near the target foe to use a random ability on key press.

Damage: X
    Radius: 600
    Range: 600

Involuntary Submission (25 sec cooldown)
    Insanity. Forces nearby enemies to switch weapons.

Force weapon swap
    Damage:X
    Radius 450

Mass Schizophrenia (60 sec cooldown)
    Insanity. Causes allies and foes to disappear from sight for all foes near the target foe.

Time: 5 sec
    Radius: 600
    Range: 900
    I like... As much as I dislike WoW now. I really miss my Death Knight and Druid classes >_>

10+ Year Old Account

Uniqueness:

I actually feel like the powers of a Dragon Knight would be based on the powers of the Elder Dragons, or at least the ones we've seen. I could imagine breath attacks to be sure, (dragons, can't do without breath attacks!), but I imagine their powers in general would be based primarily on what the Elder Dragons powers are. Which, of course, have a heavy theme of corruption.
    You know. Primordus having powers over the deep earth stuff, magma and fire and all that. Jormag having power over ice and cold in general. Kralkatorrik being all about crystals. Zhaitan being all about undeath. And of course, Bubbles, who we don't know much about, using powers of tentacled deep-sea horrors.

And as we've seen with every single one of the Elder Dragons, there's a heavy theme of minions - maybe a Dragoon/Dragon Knight would be able to get some kind of minion(s) or pet? I doubt anybody besides Ranger will ever get their own perma-pet, but who knows what could happen in the future.

I'm sure the dragon corruption could be used to empower allies with different kinds of utility spells in different ways. But I would see the Dragoon/Dragon Knight concept, in general, as a very aggressive profession, kinda how the Thief is aggressive, to help differentiate it from the defensive/support-focused Guardian. The idea of the Dragoon/Dragon Knight being hell-bent, downright obsessed, with fighting and killing the Elder Dragons. What else would drive them to resort to using their powers, dangerous as they are known to be, against them, strong in the conviction that only the Elder Dragons can harm Elder Dragons? (it's already a part of the lore that, supposedly, the only way to hurt the Elder Dragons is with a piece of their own body)

I do personally like the idea of them applying this magical corruption to their weapon for extra damage and special effects, through their profession skills. Perhaps rather than being actual attacks, the profession skills would cause their weapon skills to be "empowered" by the power of an Elder Dragon for a certain number of uses.
    Hrm... now there's an interesting mechanic. Empowering your skills to a more powerful version. Perhaps they'd get some sort of resource to control this, or would their profession skills simply share a CD? I imagine there'd be a resource.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 03:26 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Monk, Dark Knight, Paragon, Dervish, Chronomancer, Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I actually feel like the powers of a Dragon Knight would be based on the powers of the Elder Dragons, or at least the ones we've seen. I could imagine breath attacks to be sure, (dragons, can't do without breath attacks!), but I imagine their powers in general would be based primarily on what the Elder Dragons powers are. Which, of course, have a heavy theme of corruption.
    You know. Primordus having powers over the deep earth stuff, magma and fire and all that. Jormag having power over ice and cold in general. Kralkatorrik being all about crystals. Zhaitan being all about undeath. And of course, Bubbles, who we don't know much about, using powers of tentacled deep-sea horrors.

I'm sure the dragon corruption could be used to empower allies with different kinds of utility spells in different ways. But I would see the Dragoon/Dragon Knight concept, in general, as a very aggressive profession, kinda how the Thief is aggressive, to help differentiate it from the defensive/support-focused Guardian. The idea of the Dragoon/Dragon Knight being hell-bent, downright obsessed, with fighting and killing the Elder Dragons. What else would drive them to resort to using their powers, dangerous as they are known to be, against them, strong in the conviction that only the Elder Dragons can harm Elder Dragons? (it's already a part of the lore that, supposedly, the only way to hurt the Elder Dragons is with a piece of their own body)

I do personally like the idea of them applying this magical corruption to their weapon for extra damage and special effects, through their profession skills. Perhaps rather than being actual attacks, the profession skills would cause their weapon skills to be "empowered" by the power of an Elder Dragon for a certain number of damaging hits.
    I don't know GW2 lore enough to say anything about this. If that's the case, then so be it. I'd say they'd be able to introduce this class after some dragons are defeated and power can be harnessed. And you can easily portray a bad Dragoon/Dragon Knight as someone who works for the Elder Dragons and was granted power after the dragons realized their power could be harnessed directly into a humanoid vessel.

But again, this is still just me wanting to be Kain, Freya, and Kimahri...I know FFXI had a Dragoon as an advanced class, so maybe call it a Lancer as it has been known as that (though also in FFIX/XIV).
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-20 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not entirely unheard of for minions of the Elder Dragons to turn against them. It happened with Glint. Perhaps the class would be introduced through a handful of Champions turning against the mindless destruction. It's often seen that the Elder Dragons aren't so much an evil, corrupting force, as a natural part of Tyria, the way that hurricanes are.

Either way, I'm growing fond of this idea of profession skills that "empower" your profession's weapon skills into more powerful forms for a limited number of uses.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 03:28 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I don't know GW2 lore enough to say anything about this. If that's the case, then so be it. I'd say they'd be able to introduce this class after some dragons are defeated and power can be harnessed. And you can easily portray a bad Dragoon/Dragon Knight as someone who works for the Elder Dragons and was granted power after the dragons realized their power could be harnessed directly into a humanoid vessel.
    Problem is, the Elder dragons corrupt, and generally speaking the only way to free people from their corruption is by killing them. There have only been a few (2?) dragons in GW lore that have helped the humans, those being (off the top of my head) Kuunavang and Glint.

Unless it's kind of like fighting fire with fire, and Dragoons are the stout, strong-willed knights who learn the elder dragon's magic because their own magic is what is strong against them. It'd kinda be like Undead Priests in WoW, who have to learn the light to go with the shadow (hence why you can have UD priests and not pallies), the dragoons would have to learn the corrupting magics of the elder dragons to be able to combat them with their own magic.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 04:32 PM ----------

Also, I'm all for the crossbow profession idea. Less of a profession, actually, more of just the introduction of the crossbow as a weapon.

Crossbows are awesome.
    Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-20 at 03:31 PM.