Is this lucid dreaming?

I didn't know much about lucid dreaming until about a few months ago. I was always interested in how someone has a lucid dream but I could never manage to get myself to have one. Although something does happen to me before I actually fall asleep. It may sound confusing, but please bare with me.

When I lay down in bed to go to sleep for the night. I close my eyes, obviously, but something strange happens. It doesn't happen every night, it only happens randomly. I see images. I see images clear as day. For example, if I think about walking down a street, then I will see an image of someone walking down the street. Only I will see it as the perspective of the person walking down the street. It feels so real that I actually think I'm walking down the street rather then being in bed. Another example, tonight I closed my eyes and I could see the stars as if I was literally laying out in a field looking up into the night sky.

It's so weird and cool at the same time. I mean, I know I haven't fallen asleep because I can instantly open my eyes and I am conscious that I haven't fallen asleep yet. I'm just wondering if there is a technical term for the phenomena that is happening to me?

I once was in a dream and knew I was dreaming. Even then you are not fully aware so it's like your in a distant fog but you know you can twist the dream how you want. It's very complex. It's easy to say I'm going to dream and know I'm dreaming but when your in that moment your mind is not focused or even slightly aware. I usually always up forgetting what I was dreaming up about the minute I wake up too.

No. In my knowledge, it's only called a lucid dream when you're fully aware that you are in fact, dreaming. Once you're aware of this, it is supposedly possible to control the events of your dream. Sadly, I've only experienced this once.

Anything else is just a regular dream, no matter how real it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    I can almost every time I dream. It's something you have to practice, but I can't quite explain how to practice it.

It's like being the GM of an MMO: you can do whatever you want and force the dream to do what you want. You know you are asleep and the second you realize it you know you can control it. It's hard to explain.

Edit: I'd like to add that it requires a sober mind, as even doctor prescribed meds can stop lucid dreaming from happening.
    I'm trying to achieve this for a few years already heh. Can you tell me if when you wake up, do you recall the events of the dream as if it was a normal dream, so in a unclear way that you easily forget? Or is it as if you were actually there a few seconds ago and now you are in your bed, as if it did really happen.

kind of? you're controlling stage 1/2 dreaming which is roughly analogous to daydreaming.

so.... yes, but not what's typically though of as lucid dreaming, which is self-control of REM dreaming.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    Edit: I'd like to add that it requires a sober mind, as even doctor prescribed meds can stop lucid dreaming from happening.
    I disagree. Earlier I've managed to have it once or twice, but since my accident and a certain heavyduty opiate painmedication it's been infinitely easier.

To you all, the trick with Lucid Dreaming is to learn how to remember your dreams when you wake up, because if you don't remember them you, there's no point in having a lucid dream, right? I've managed Lucid dreaming and it works about 50% of the time.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream Follow that guide if you want to learn how to master it properly.
    I don't really know if your dream was a lucid one, basically lucid dreaming is the state when you are aware of that you are dreaming and you can basically do whatever you want.
    Edit: Read every tip carefully and follow the steps in order, when you're able to remember the dreams in and out when you wake up that's the point when you can start trying to have the lucid dreams as you will have to write down (mentioned in the guide) your dreams in a dream journal (kinda like a diary but for dreams), reflect over the dream, try to recognise your basic ''dream signs''.
    Last edited by Loucy; 2012-08-22 at 10:08 AM.