Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    Actually Warhammer has quite a few people PvPing in the F2P starter areas. Warhammers downfall was Aion, Aions downfall was.......etc.etc.etc. just like GW's downfall will be the next MMO that appears fun. People are hungry for a good MMO that doesn't get old after a month. Having to pay a subscription also dust bowls most MMOs these days.

Personally, I think a lot of the PVP orientated MMOs fail because people get stomped and run back to their game where they have 10 level 85s fully geared for playing it for the better part of a decade and sit in Map chat trolling people. Their trail of tears are clearly seen in the forums as they whine about OP this, and gear that.

You are right, flaws show up in betas and I find this game a Warhammer clone except Trinity, It's probably the most clunky game I have played in a long, long while at least in beta and on all the PvP videos, but I pre-ordered without hesitation in case the launch title has a good PvP zoom and the clunky camera is just a server lag issue.

You let heavy handed forum moderation dictate what game you like? If you don't like their game and find it clunky, don't play it. It's their game, their design
    You ever been in a closed beta test? I've been in lots of them and I've never seen one where they tell you if you make posts that aren't related to the point of focus they will remove you from the beta. That wasn't a forum mod or CM either, it was the lead developers. If you say the point of focus for this stage of beta is witch elves, that's fine, that's the focus. Disregarding every other legitimate issue brought up by locking threads and threatening to kick people out of the beta is a pretty piss poor way to test your game. I saved them the trouble and kicked myself out.

The game turned out to be a total failure despite whatever excuses you want to make for it. If people left Warhammer for Aion, that says plenty right there. I never played Aion but I heard it was a Korean style grinder and a buggy p.o.s. to boot. You'd think people would have gone running back to those Warhammer accounts but they didn't. The game may be still up and running as very few MMOs completely shut down but very few people play it relatively speaking. If it was a decent game, more people would have returned to it.

I find this game a Warhammer clone except Trinity, It's probably the most clunky game I have played in a long, long while at least in beta and on all the PvP videos, but I pre-ordered without hesitation in case the launch title has a good PvP zoom and the clunky camera is just a server lag issue
    You make no sense. You preordered without hesitation even though you apparently don't like the game just in case? What, if it turns out the things you don't like are changed to your liking you won't be able to buy it after launch?

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    New players will get stomped based entirely on skill, while still having a chance of overcoming their opponents. You don't need gear to make it happen.

And saying that "non reward" pvp (which is wrong, as GW2 pvp does have rewards, they just don't reward you with statistical superiority) is great for casual pvpers but not hardcore pvpers is absolutely wrong.

Or else LoL and SC2 would not be true esports. Same for any FPS eSport out there. They reward you specifically with cosmetic/vanity rewards, such as skins, badges, titles... not gear.
    As badass as Miah claims to be at PvP, I expect to see him on a world ranked sPvP team. Unless it's you know, just talk

How? By feeding upon some people's protest feelings. This, combined with unexperience of most of the younger audience with hype (comparing to actual results) and their generally low experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    And they will be back in droves after they realize it isn't as good as they thought it would be.
    The problem with that, is what I have played of GW2 is already significantly better than WoW. Even if GW2 were to completely fall apart after lvl 30ish (the highest I've leveled a toon), I doubt I will ever be able to bring myself to play WoW again, unless they give the entire game a major overhaul. I think I would just find something else to do with my time.

And even though I say that, I am not a WoW hater. I didn't get a level 85 of each class by sitting around hating on the game. I also loved Might and Magic: Worlds of Xeen back in 1993. I wouldn't go back to playing that now either.

As far as the original post goes, GW2 managed to build it's following by doing it's own thing instead of just jumping on the WoW clone bandwagon. They created a world that is beautiful, immersive, and truly feels alive.
    Last edited by Mechanibull; 2012-08-20 at 02:39 AM.

I never played GW1, have not played GW2 either in any of the beta events. I will say this though, GW2 has had a lot of positive feedback from the beta events and from games conventions, youtube coverage from popular gamers like Force/Kripparian that I became aware of because of Diablo 3 has sparked my interest in GW2. The disapointment of Cataclysm and The Old Republic for many has also fueled the hype of Guild Wars 2 being the next "Hope" for mmo games.

I'm not expecting too much, but I just prepurchased GW2 with my paypal account from money I earned in Diablo 3, with that said I feel pretty sick at the thought that I spent £50 on GW2, not sure why it makes any difference but I would have never spent £50 with my bank card, yet using my paypal money from D3 and realising I had enough in there I was ok with spending it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanibull View Post
    The problem with that, is what I have played of GW2 is already significantly better than WoW.
    This for me too actually.

After playing through 2 starting zones in BWE2 and 3 (didn't really get to play during BWE1 because of router issues), in the human and asura areas respectively, I though to myself "Know what, even if the game sucks past these newbie zones, I kind of already feel like I've gotten my money's worth".

I realize I'm going to get called out for posting this, but honestly, the amount of fun I had running around and just exploring and doing events and such... it was a blast, and I've had other games I've paid $60 for be significantly less fun for much shorter spans of time (see: Diablo 3).

I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

I think the thing that really hyped me up about the game is that they made some really huge claims about what kind of content they have in their game is, and then turned around and followed up on most of it. I'm still cynical about higher level content (because so many MMOs mess that part up), but it's kind of like "well, they've done the rest of it right so far, why do you think they're going to mess up on the rest of it?"

innovation and ppl looking forward to know news/diff mmo´s... also tired of blizz formula for wow heh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I never played GW1, have not played GW2 either in any of the beta events. I will say this though, GW2 has had a lot of positive feedback from the beta events and from games conventions, youtube coverage from popular gamers like Force/Kripparian that I became aware of because of Diablo 3 has sparked my interest in GW2. The disapointment of Cataclysm and The Old Republic for many has also fueled the hype of Guild Wars 2 being the next "Hope" for mmo games.

I'm not expecting too much, but I just prepurchased GW2 with my paypal account from money I earned in Diablo 3, with that said I feel pretty sick at the thought that I spent £50 on GW2, not sure why it makes any difference but I would have never spent £50 with my bank card, yet using my paypal money from D3 and realising I had enough in there I was ok with spending it.
    Now, there's a name I respect! I remember passing the link to his vid on "How To Do Top DPS in WoW" to ppl that wanted to step up their game way back in Wrath. So I looked up what he had to say about GW2 - nice review, balanced, he says what he likes and what he doesn't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzxiGmF5fcY

That song at the end is rofl.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    So... your fun is about killing noobs wearing better gear or stomp noobs having bad gear, but trying to be the best around (best team) just based on skill doesn't interest you.

Am I reading this right ?
    Obviously you don't know how to read, I said I like throttling players with better gear, you know...a challenge. All this "It's based on skill" talk is complete BS anyway unless every class is perfectly balanced, if they aren't ( which they're not) then the whole " skill " thing flies out the window and the weaker classes are handicapped by never being able to upgrade.

Obviously you don't know how to read, I said I like throttling players with better gear, you know...a challenge. All this "It's based on skill" talk is complete BS anyway unless every class is perfectly balanced, if they aren't ( which they're not) then the whole " skill " thing flies out the window and the weaker classes are handicapped by never being able to upgrade.
    Beating someone with better gear means a) your class is more powerful than theirs or b) they're a bad player (usually b). If you're fighting someone with equal skill, you're always going to lose with worse gear. No questions asked. Equalizing gear actually means skill is the only thing that matters, you can't out-gear good players because you've played longer. Playing longer should (in PvP, and does in GW2) translate into more skill in your class, not uneven footing due to better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Guild Wars 2 built it's hype due to the lack of any other MMORPGs with immediate releases and the "failure" of Star Wars The Old Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    You ever been in a closed beta test? I've been in lots of them and I've never seen one where they tell you if you make posts that aren't related to the point of focus they will remove you from the beta. That wasn't a forum mod or CM either, it was the lead developers. If you say the point of focus for this stage of beta is witch elves, that's fine, that's the focus. Disregarding every other legitimate issue brought up by locking threads and threatening to kick people out of the beta is a pretty piss poor way to test your game. I saved them the trouble and kicked myself out.

The game turned out to be a total failure despite whatever excuses you want to make for it. If people left Warhammer for Aion, that says plenty right there. I never played Aion but I heard it was a Korean style grinder and a buggy p.o.s. to boot. You'd think people would have gone running back to those Warhammer accounts but they didn't. The game may be still up and running as very few MMOs completely shut down but very few people play it relatively speaking. If it was a decent game, more people would have returned to it.

You make no sense. You preordered without hesitation even though you apparently don't like the game just in case? What, if it turns out the things you don't like are changed to your liking you won't be able to buy it after launch?

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 08:21 PM ----------

As badass as Miah claims to be at PvP, I expect to see him on a world ranked sPvP team. Unless it's you know, just talk
    I can honestly say I see why developers don't want to hear some peoples drivel and lock threads after reading that immature babble. I don't claim to be anything, but I'm guessing you might be pubescent? I love the part where you trash games you never played but listen to other people opinions like fact. If you never played Aion ( or Warhammer ) how can you babble on about both continuously. I had people tell me the PvP in GW2 was going to be great and this is after they played the betas, well they must like slow moving characters with whacked out cameras and little to no zoom out that makes large amounts of people sick or nauseous. At least I'm going to try the launch title and not base the game off what people say that flock back to WoW over and over and over and......

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 05:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Beating someone with better gear means a) your class is more powerful than theirs or b) they're a bad player (usually b). If you're fighting someone with equal skill, you're always going to lose with worse gear. No questions asked. Equalizing gear actually means skill is the only thing that matters, you can't out-gear good players because you've played longer. Playing longer should (in PvP, and does in GW2) translate into more skill in your class, not uneven footing due to better gear.
    So every class in GW2 is perfectly balanced then? You must be talking Dueling, Im talking PvP where the lesser geared person can pay attention to a spell or two on CD and take out a better geared person. Hopefully GW2s PvP isn't a bunch of people dueling each other.
    Last edited by Miah; 2012-08-20 at 05:09 AM.

So every class in GW2 is perfectly balanced then? You must be talking Dueling, Im talking PvP where the lesser geared person can pay attention to a spell or two on CD and take out a better geared person. Hopefully GW2s PvP isn't a bunch of people dueling each other.
    Does class balance make a difference when it comes to the question of whether or not PvP should be gear based? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Pretty easy.

WoW/Blizzard haters really pushed it to absurd heights in terms of expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Pretty easy.

WoW/Blizzard haters really pushed it to absurd heights in terms of expectations.
    Yeah, that... really isn't what's happened. There's really no reason to stir things up.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Pretty easy.

GW2 just does everything right. haters gonna hate.

Deleted
    Miah calm down, no one here is trying to claim gw2 is perfect game in every aspect but just agruing what flaws other games have atm

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yeah, that... really isn't what's happened. There's really no reason to stir things up.
    Not stirring up anything. If I wanted to, I'd say something like, "MOP SUCKS AND IS KIDDY POKEMON CRAP" ectectect.

But it's actually quite simple: the vocal minority who hate WoW/Blizzard lost their shit when info about GW2 came out. They automatically placed it as the greatest thing ever, a revolution to the MMORPG genre, and a game that will destroy WoW.

Personally, both MoP and GW2 look interesting. I'll stick with MoP because I played the beta and loved what I saw, but I'll probably pick up GW2 if the appropriate people that I agree with on games like it.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-08-20 at 05:27 AM.

But it's actually quite simple: the vocal minority who hate WoW/Blizzard lost their shit when info about GW2 came out. They automatically placed it as the greatest thing ever, a revolution to the MMORPG genre, and a game that will destroy WoW.
    They came pretty late to the party. There's so few of them here anyway, so I'm of the opinion that it's an illusion people have after burning discussions on every new MMO that has ever been released.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-08-20 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, that isn't what happened. What makes you think anybody actually listens to THOSE people anyways? =\

I haven't even been exposed to those people, so as far as I'm concerned, the group you're describing is complete and utter myth.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 05:43 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I'm not sure if I have trouble reading or you do because you exactly said what I wrote "I like to kill people with better gear". I just implied they are noob if they lose with better gear (or your class is OP). So yeah whatever seems I read right.
    Balance has nothing to do with this discussion around gear and gear differences certainly doesn't help balance.

Obviously you just want gear, and you're entitled to your opinion and what you enjoy of course but please don't act like it's everybody's opinion and everyone that disagrees is a noob whiner; that's pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-20 at 05:50 AM.