Windows fails after installing video card drivers for Radeon 7850

Hey guys,

I just built my first computer with help from the Upgrades subforum and thankfully, everything has gone without a hitch. Except one thing...Windows refuses to boot up after installing my video card drivers!

I System restored and went driver by driver and every driver works like a charm (Wireless TP Link adapter, USB 3.0s, Chipsets, LAN, etcetc). But the second I download the AMD Catalyst thing, my login screen doesn't show up. The windows logo does its thing and then afterwards...nothing. Being at literally the LAST STEP before I can roll with this bad boy, I am stuck. Any help to figure out wtf to do?

Dragoncurry

EDIT: Now that I'm checking device manager, my Video card doesn't even show up. Do I need a driver before it appears? Also, I have it plugged into the second PCI slot, not the first one...does that make any difference?
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2012-08-19 at 08:14 AM.

Deleted
    If you have plugged your card into the PCI slot it will not show, it should be plugged into a PCI-e slot, the first slot south of your CPU usually. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by mmoc6be7c16387; 2012-08-19 at 08:38 AM.

Also try updating your BIOS for your motherboard

Does windows actually refuse to boot up after installing the drivers? Or does the monitor not turn on because it's not detecting a video signal after the drivers are installed?

List the full specs of the PC, take a picture of the device manager under display adapters and install the card in the proper slot (usually it's the first PCI-E x16 slot).
    You can try installing an older driver (but not very old if you have a HD7000 card) or download a driver directly from the graphics card manufacturer, not from the AMD's site.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-19 at 09:22 AM.

Take a picture of where you've plugged it in.

Sorry for the late reply guys. I had to pray this morning so im not home just yet. An update that might help is that after i download the video drivers, the video card shows up in my device manager as working properly, no conflicts etc. I havent updated the BIOS as one of you suggested as of yet.

Also i have a video signal and it starts and instead of going to the login screen it just shows nothing. Ill go home and give a better report.

Deleted
    Sounds like a lemon video card, you should RMA it or bring it back to where you bought it. A video card not doing its work after installing the drivers usually a first notice that your card isn't doing what it is supposed to do hardware wise.

Hey guys, posting this from my new rig! I figured out the fucking problem. Evidently, the Catalyst package's Command Center shit is faulty or something. I tried downloading the driver alone (custom DL) and it installed fine. Son of a bitch almost gave me a heart attack. Thanks for all your help and advice guys. For anyone getting the HD Radeon 7800 shit, beware of the AMD driver package...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Hey guys, posting this from my new rig! I figured out the fucking problem. Evidently, the Catalyst package's Command Center shit is faulty or something. I tried downloading the driver alone (custom DL) and it installed fine. Son of a bitch almost gave me a heart attack. Thanks for all your help and advice guys. For anyone getting the HD Radeon 7800 shit, beware of the AMD driver package...
    You can select only the driver to be installed from the Catalyst installer itself. Or you can use an older driver.

BIOS is responsible for everything that goes after you push "start" button, including loading operation system (if installed). So, I suppose that something went wrong while driver installation and the driver might have changed your BIOS settings. Set them to the default and tell us did it fix the problem.

And make sure that the problem is with system boot, not with the video card which wight broke and doesn't show an image now