Thread: AMD or Intel?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

AMD or Intel?

I'm looking at building a computer for my first time and i haven't a clue when it comes to parts. Someone has suggest this AMD setup..

Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Red Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
    Coolermaster Centurion 5 II SPECIAL EDITION Case with Red Interior - With Coolermaster 650W GX PSU
    LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1
    XFX HD 7850 2GB DDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-II - 7200RPM 16MB Cache - HD502HJ
    AMD FX-4 4170 Black Edition 4 Core 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

This setup is a total of £624.

If possible please could someone suggest me the same components but from an Intel perspective for roughly £600 please?

Then also if possible please could someone say which one they would chose and why? Im aiming to play Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft on High settings with a decent amount of FPS.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Im an AMD fan but if you want to get max performance in these games I would suggest going for intel as they are CPU heavy, go for an i5 3450 and a simple mobo, it wil add around 50 tho. Intel is simply more expensive.
    Last edited by mmoc4b25e70ff5; 2012-08-19 at 02:19 PM.

Deleted
    Solid build.

Amd vs intel is irrelevant. Specs > branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Solid build.

All I'm going to say is 4GHz =/= 4GHz.

Deleted
    Solid build.

Specs > branding yes, but his CPU really isn't that good for the games he wants to play, its basicly taking a step back in time as core for core they are slower then the old generation AMD's. Its better to spend 50 pound more and have an intel that is a lot more powerful.
    Last edited by mmoc4b25e70ff5; 2012-08-19 at 02:21 PM.

Deleted
    So overall if i went with the build i currently have it would still play the games i wanted on high settings and push out high FPS? but If i went Intel and spent the extra £50 id get pretty much more reliability?

Deleted
    With your current build you wont see very high fps in WoW, it will be decent but it will be bad in raids to the point of medium or lower for 30 fps.

With the CPU I suggested you will have a lot more performance in raids, BG's etc, you will even be able to play at Ultra very well. Also AMD is known for having less performance in WoW.

Intel all the way, I can't remember last time when AMD was better. It must be the Athlon days

Deleted
    Intel I5 2500k

Solid build.

And the Intel Core series (Sandy Bridge r.2 and Ivy Bridge) have massively better specs than the current AMD processors when it comes to gaming.

Intel processors will be far better for WoW than anything from AMD. Also, Cooler Master GX series of PSUs are known to be rather bad.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Intel Core i5 3450 3.1GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV H61 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Will these two parts increase performance for both games? At the moment im playing all low settings and only 18 fps on average. I would prefer to have High settings for the amount im spending with a relative amount of Fps.

That motherboard will require a BIOS update to be able to use that processor. Get an B75, H77, Z75 or Z77 chipset motherboard.

Deleted
    Is there any chance someone could please use this website...

ebuyer.com/

to build a setup for around £600 that is Intel. This budget would include everything like i listed for AMD.

This would be a huge help to me!

Deleted
    I had phenom ii x6 1090t and even if its a very good CPU my FPS in wow wasnt that good,with evga gtx 560 ti and in raids i had problem to stay stable somewhere to 35 in the very best...i changed to i5 3550 and i must say things are much much better now..

when i was a starving student and trying to get the most bang for my buck, i went AMD cause they are very OC friendly. OC'ing is really satisfying and makes my inner nerd tinkerer smile, but it brings its own set of issues.

now that i can afford any setup, i go with the hands-off approach so i go with Intel. from a guy who's built many computers from scratch, Intel and the architecture surrounding it inspires a quiet confidence in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    when i was a starving student and trying to get the most bang for my buck, i went AMD cause they are very OC friendly. OC'ing is really satisfying and makes my inner nerd tinkerer smile, but it brings its own set of issues.

now that i can afford any setup, i go with the hands-off approach so i go with Intel. from a guy who's built many computers from scratch, Intel and the architecture surrounding it inspires a quiet confidence in performance.
    Intel is even more OC friendly nowadays.

putting something together on ebuyer right now, they have a cpu/mobo/ram combo deal that looks quite good. Bloody hell that site is slow though :/

Do you need a copy of Windows 7?

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 05:21 PM ----------

Intel Bundle with Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard Intel I5 3570K Processor and 8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP Blue Memory 324.99
    XFX AMD HD 6850 1GB 99.99
    Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU 53.76
    Fractal Design Core 3000 Case 51.32
    WD 500GB Caviar Blue Hard Drive 55.00
    Windows 7 HP OEM 79.99
    Total: 665.05

The graphics card is a step down in performance, but will still run WoW and GW2 at high/ultra settings at 60 FPS or higher (which your AMD rig wouldn't).

That website is so slow it is bloody unbelievable >.>
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-08-19 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go intel. Their architecture is better.

Deleted
    Yeah i'd need windows 7 because i have no current program and thank you for pointing this out!
    Another question! Will any frame work in fitting these components together?

Thank you for posting this and using the site!

I linked the fractal design case because it is well put together and better than most of the competition at that price point. Any case that supports ATX motherboards will work though.