Thread: New computer

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

New computer

Was wondering how this computer will run MoP. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=5689213
    Thanks for the advice

Building one yourself is going to be the best bang for your buck.
    I fear for that gfx card.
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Generally speaking: not very well.

Like Aldrashan said, you will always get a better bang for your buck by buying the parts individually and assembling the PC yourself. If you're uncomfortable doing this, and don't know anyone who can help, let us know your maximum budget and we can find some better prebuilts for what you're wanting.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 07:51 PM.

If you're set on buying pre-built, maybe get a i7-3770 from Costco @ $600 instead because WoW is more CPU dependent.

You can always drop an extra $100 some time in the future to buy a cheap graphics card.

I'm using the i7-3770k with its integrated Intel HD 4000 and I can play WoW on lowest settings @ 1680x1050.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    [*]It has an AMD CPU, AMD really dropped the ball with Bulldozer, even $120 Intel CPUs run WoW better.[*]According to Tom's Hardware, that GPU will manage ~55 FPS on Good Quality Settings at 1080p.
    The CPU you're comparing is not the same as the one in the prebuilt system. According to passmark, the A10-5700 is 7k where as the i3-2100 is only 4k.

They did a FP from Crushblow to Krazzworks. FP frame rates are generally much much higher than what you would get in any form of cooperative combat.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-19 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    If you're set on buying pre-built, maybe get a i7-3770 from Costco @ $600 instead because WoW is more CPU dependent.
    Sure, WoW is more CPU "dependent", but it does not warrant an i7. An i5 like the 3570K is more than enough. You're better off spending ~$200 on an i5 and another ~$200 on a decent GPU, you'd certainly be playing at higher settings than Low at 1680x1050.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 07:56 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses everyone. The max I can go is 600 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Sure, WoW is more CPU "dependent", but it does not warrant an i7. An i5 like the 3570K is more than enough. You're better off spending ~$200 on an i5 and another ~$200 on a decent GPU, you'd certainly be playing at higher settings than Low at 1680x1050.
    Yeah, but the one I linked is exceptionally cheap for the parts its using. You'd be hard pressed to find a third generation i5 build of that caliber at $500, giving $100 headroom for a separate graphics card.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So this computer couldn't run WoW on medium settings?

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 08:11 PM ----------

Also what pieces would I need to buy to build a computer. Sorry for being such a noob.

CPU, RAM, Mobo, gfx card, CPU-cooler (if you're overclocking else the stock cooler is fine), case, hdd, maybe an ssd, psu and last but not least a dvd-reader.
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Take a look at Marest's Sample Builds, they include (nearly) all of the components you need to build a PC. Just pick the one that is closest to your budget (likely the Gaming 550 Build, which will run WoW much better than that one from Best Buy).

The CPU you're comparing is not the same as the one in the prebuilt system. According to passmark, the A10-5700 is 7k where as the i3-2100 is only 4k.
    You're right, the CPU (FX-8150) I compared against the i3 2100 is a good bit better than the A10 in that prebuilt, that's what I was trying to illustrate: Intel CPUs are much better at processing WoW. If you want a more accurate comparison, here is the Tom's Hardware benchmark of the A10-5600k and A10-5800K at 1080p / Good Quality Settings, neither were able to surpass 60 FPS.

They did a FP from Crushblow to Krazzworks. FP frame rates are generally much much higher than what you would get in any form of cooperative combat.
    Do you have a source for this? I find it hard to believe that the FPS experienced during a FP is more intense than the FPS experienced during a 25 man encounter...
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 09:02 PM.