Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can I just copy GW2 to another drive and play?

The same way as WoW how you can just copy the whole folder to thumb drive / external HDD and copy it back over and it's good to go?

Getting a SSD in a few days and I have already downloaded GW2, hoping I can do this as I know some programs can't.

I imagine it shouldn't be any problem at all. GW2 consists of only 2 or 3 files if I remember correctly and therefore shouldn't have the worlds most advanced registry entries.

yes. ive done it and works flawlessly.

Thanks!

Australian internet + multiple GB download =

Yes, just like GW1.

Copy the .dat big file and you're set.

Deleted
    sweet I was searching for this too!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Thanks!

Yep, same deal with Venezuelan internet. Every time I have to download the client of Wow, SWTOR, or GW2, that's anywhere from 1 week to a full 2 weeks of wait time.

Glad to know I can just back up my installation folder on a few DVDs and just copy the whole thing if I ever have to re-install the game.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would there be any benefit for a NA based person to use an SSD for gaming?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Would there be any benefit for a NA based person to use an SSD for gaming?
    Shorter loading screens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Shorter loading screens.
    Well, I feel like an even bigger noob now... So, I take it running -any- game from an external will speed it up as well?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

noob question: What is an SSD?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Well, I feel like an even bigger noob now... So, I take it running -any- game from an external will speed it up as well?
    I'm not sure I understand the question, or you're confused. Are you asking about external hard drives or did you mean to ask about SSDs?

If you're asking about SSDs...The SSD becomes the drive that has your operating system on it as well as your primary internal drive, and then it's not a bad idea to get one with enough space to fit a few games on it too, so the OS and some games go on the SSD. It should help load games/other things a bit faster that aren't on the SSD too, but it's more beneficial to have it on the SSD.

It makes loading everything faster, from loading screens in games, to navigating windows, and loading windows from a restart/start up. I timed restarts on my computer before and after I got my SSD. Without the SSD, from the time I pushed restart until my computer was back up and windows was completely loaded up to the point where I could use programs without lagging it was about 5 minutes. After the SSD, a restart is about a minute or less.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-08-20 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Solid State Disk.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-20 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    solid state drive. They are popular because they have a much shorter seek time than a traditional harddrive because there are no moveing parts.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question, or you're confused. Are you asking about external hard drives or did you mean to ask about SSDs?

If you're asking about SSDs...The SSD becomes the drive that has your operating system on it as well as your primary internal drive, and then it's not a bad idea to get one with enough space to fit a few games on it too, so the OS and some games go on the SSD. It should help load games/other things a bit faster that aren't on the SSD too, but it's more beneficial to have it on the SSD.

It makes loading everything faster, from loading screens in games, to navigating windows, and loading windows from a restart/start up. I timed restarts on my computer before and after I got my SSD. Without the SSD, from the time I pushed restart until my computer was back up and windows was completely loaded up to the point where I could use programs without lagging it was about 5 minutes. After the SSD, a restart is about a minute or less.
    Very good information.

I think the person in question though was referring to putting the game on a SSD external drive, at least that's what I think they meant based on wording. You COULD have an SSD external drive. But it would be slightly pointless in my opinion because you would be bottled necked by the connection choice. Eg usb 2.0 or firewire or what have you, I don't think there is a connection type that really goes fast enough to take advantage of a SSD's speeds (now i don't know about thunderbolt, but i think usb3 is slower then sata III) The reason it would bottle neck is because those connection types are too slow to take advantage of the speed of a SSD which mean's the entire point of having an SSD, for faster load times and the like, would be negated by the connection speed in question. So the drive's potential would be wasted.

So if you wanted to take advantage of the SSD you would need to install it into your computer(sataII minimum), and install your OS on it and what not. Another thing, if by chance you were or are considering converting from HDD to SSD, then please keep in mind you you MUST reinstall your OS onto the new SSD. You could clone your HDD but in doing so it wouldn't be taking advantage of the SSD speeds and the like and it's just easier in the long run to re install the OS onto the SSD.

But otherwise, Very good information and I hear once you go SSD.. you never go back. I wish you luck. =]

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

One note:
    If you're like me and copying GW2 to an SSD then you can't simply through it on there and play. It doesnt like it for some reason as the .dat file becomes locked. You need to throw it all inside another folder and make sure read only is unchecked for the folder and apply to all subfolders and files to fix.

15+ Year Old Account
    @grandpab and Veng:

Thank-you for clearing that up for me. I was confused. I, foolishly, thought that an SSD and external hard drive were the same thing. I now know there is a difference. Guess I'll be adding an SSD to my life of "should get upgrades before I cave and buy a new tower."

It's really a great addition to a computer and it's exactly as Vengful said, once you get a SSD you don't go back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Thanks!

Whats wrong with Aussie net? Mines fine , perhaps you mean you have a crappy isp and or plan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Whats wrong with Aussie net? Mines fine , perhaps you mean you have a crappy isp and or plan ?
    Good internet in AUS is in very limited areas, usually metro. Also you'll be hard done finding many ISP's that do uncapped plans (there are some but are not available in a lot of areas, again usually metro).

NBN should fix this though as I have seen some AWESOME speed tests (80 - 90Mb/s down and 10ish Mbs up)

Won't be in my area till like 2013 / 14.