Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Un-fit gamers without a clue wanting to get into lifting/nutrition(ask me anything)

This is directed at people who have absolutely no idea, and who are just wanting to start getting into shape and get healthy for whatever reasons, maybe you're sick of focusing so much on games and now you want to switch that focus towards creating a better you. Just thought I'd mention that before the smart-asses come in trolling away.

I feel gamers get a lot of crap for being lazy, but I think of it like this. Someone who has the will-power and patients to do so many things in such time-consuming games like WoW defiantly has the will-power to get into bodybuilding. You will be surprised how much of a difference you can make from spending a few hours in the gym per week with a proper diet. Instead of spending 50 hours per week gaming, take it down to 45-46 hours and spend the other few hours in the gym across the week. Nothing drastic has to change. You don't need to be the skinny-fat or obese gamer, you can be that healthy and shredded gamer. You don't need to give up gaming for it.

I've noticed a lot of misinformation being spread around here regarding these topics. If you're wanting to improve you health,strength/body-image feel free to ask me any question regarding this. Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to ask here.

To get the best possible answer from me you're going need to include this information with your questions.

*Your work/school hours
    *Weight
    *Height
    *Measurements (Waist/Hips/Wrist) (Waist is most important)
    *Activity Level
    *Goal

-Eat less bad food
    -Move more

Im not one of the people who have no idea, however, do you have any information on healing?
    i dont mean video game healer etc.
    Your not going to be able to give me much advice about my health, i have a weird condition i was born with called tetrology of fallot. It was repaired via open heart surgery when i was 13 months old. I am now 31 years old and will be going for another open heart surgery the 22nd (this wed) to undergo RVOT.
    right ventrical outflow repair. Basically I have little to no output from my heart right now and I have no energy etc. 20% of my blood is all my heart is putting out to mostly only my right lung. anyhow, my life apparently will be greatly improved after this is repaired and should have very few limitations in my life.
    After I am healed up (months and months of ultra light duty) I will begin working out (I have attempted p90x before and its a wonder I didnt kill myself knowing what I know now) I want to know what can i take (vitamin, supplementation, etc) to heal my body faster, but not as to rush things behind the doctors back. But If i can shave some time off my recovery without any harm who wouldnt do that?
    I am 5'8" 145 lbs, male, small frame. I plan on putting on muscle (probably p90x again) but not to build up my chest (my heart is currently 5 or more of my fists in size and they hope to shrink it with this surgery)

yeah i lost 40 pounds through extreme dieting and now im in the process of gaining it back i signed up for a gym under a lifestyle change idea and was going every day for half an hour but i got too bored and quit after a month and a half. my friends dont want to pay 60 bucks a month and a year contract to sign up so i had to go alone, and it was just very dull. so if you know any interesting ways to somehow make treadmills fun.... im all ears
    Last edited by hellosaltygoodness; 2012-08-20 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    -Eat less bad food
    -Move more
    1.No such thing as bad or good food, disregard all information you read regarding good or bad food. This is unfortunate that people still believe in these broscience articles from the 1970s/80's which have been regurgitated over and over in the 90s and mid 2000s only now in the past few years have people realised this is utter nonsense.

2.Move more (way too simple, not specific enough, especially for people without a clue, tell this to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and they're doomed to fail from the start, just take a look at the millions upon millions of people who are very active yet still overweight and obese)

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    1.No such thing as bad or good food, disregard all information you read regarding good or bad food. This is unfortunate that people still believe in these broscience articles from the 1970s/80's which have been regurgitated over and over in the 90s and mid 2000s only now in the past few years have people realised this is utter nonsense.

2.Move more (way too simple, not specific enough, especially for people without a clue, tell this to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and they're doomed to fail from the start, just take a look at the millions upon millions of people who are very active yet still overweight and obese)
    Wat. Leafy greens are better for you than cake. I'm pretty sure this is a scientific fact. And my dad lost 40 lbs just by walking and eating less.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2012-08-20 at 02:09 AM.

This is how I make treadmills fun: put on some music and dance and lip sing. Ignore anyone who makes fun of you for your antics while running. Just the other day I was doing the bye, bye, bye dance while running and a bunch of girls were laughing at me. haters gonna hate!

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 02:11 AM ----------

1. Uh, please explain to me how a deep fried stick of butter is not bad food. I mean, I suppose if someone is starving...

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    This is how I make treadmills fun: put on some music and dance and lip sing. Ignore anyone who makes fun of you for your antics while running. Just the other day I was doing the bye, bye, bye dance while running and a bunch of girls were laughing at me. haters gonna hate!

1. Uh, please explain to me how a deep fried stick of butter is not bad food. I mean, I suppose if someone is starving...
    Why do you even know the Bye bye bye dance? :S
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

You appear to be as misinformed if not more so than those you're calling out, from your OP and now this i'd advise all to avoid anything you say as you seam not only lost but dangerous.

Wat. Leafy greens are better for you than cake. I'm pretty sure this is a scientific fact. And my dad lost 40 lbs just by walking and eating less.
    Cake makes me happy. Happiness reduces stress. Reduction in stress makes me healthier.

Leafy greens make me sad. Sadness makes me suicidal. Suicide results in death. Death is not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by solaceofwinter View Post
    Im not one of the people who have no idea, however, do you have any information on healing?
    i dont mean video game healer etc.
    Your not going to be able to give me much advice about my health, i have a weird condition i was born with called tetrology of fallot. It was repaired via open heart surgery when i was 13 months old. I am now 31 years old and will be going for another open heart surgery the 22nd (this wed) to undergo RVOT.
    right ventrical outflow repair. Basically I have little to no output from my heart right now and I have no energy etc. 20% of my blood is all my heart is putting out to mostly only my right lung. anyhow, my life apparently will be greatly improved after this is repaired and should have very few limitations in my life.
    After I am healed up (months and months of ultra light duty) I will begin working out (I have attempted p90x before and its a wonder I didnt kill myself knowing what I know now) I want to know what can i take (vitamin, supplementation, etc) to heal my body faster, but not as to rush things behind the doctors back. But If i can shave some time off my recovery without any harm who wouldnt do that?
    I am 5'8" 145 lbs, male, small frame. I plan on putting on muscle (probably p90x again) but not to build up my chest (my heart is currently 5 or more of my fists in size and they hope to shrink it with this surgery)

Ask your Doctor and make sure to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion from other Doctors before undertaking any serious training regime or diet. Also I'd suggest not to take any supplements of any kind with your medical history without approval from your own Doctor who knows your history well. Seriously do not take anything without seeking advice from your doctor first.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Why do you even know the Bye bye bye dance? :S
    The better question is why do you not know it.

Weight loss is all down to calories in < calories out. You could eat 100% pure sugar, but as long as you burn more calories than you consume, you'll lose weight. Leafy greens are better than cake because they have more vitamins, but it doesn't mean it's whats going to make you lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post

Generally when someone says "avoid bad foods" people think that it means they're never allowed to eat anything ever again in their life besides oats, brown rice, chicken breast and broccoli. This is total and utter bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    Weight loss is all down to calories in < calories out. You could eat 100% pure sugar, but as long as you burn more calories than you consume, you'll lose weight. Leafy greens are better than cake because they have more vitamins, but it doesn't mean it's whats going to make you lose weight.
    You'll also die of malnutrition if you only eat sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You'll also die of malnutrition if you only eat sugar.
    My point was about weight loss, not nutrition as a whole. I was just trying to get the point across that weight loss has nothing to do with what you eat as long as you burn more calories than you eat.
    Last edited by Yousend; 2012-08-20 at 02:17 AM.

Ask your Doctor and make sure to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion from other Doctors before undertaking any serious training regime or diet. Also I'd suggest not to take any supplements of any kind with your medical history without approval from your own Doctor who knows your history well. Seriously do not take anything without seeking advice from your doctor first.
    Supplements don't even do anything really. I wouldn't take them at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    My point was about weight loss, not nutrition as a whole.
    Nutrition plays a part in weight loss, you can't ignore nutrition while losing weight without endangering yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I am so glad you are here to tell us what other people think. Personally when someone tells me to avoid something, I take it mean to reduce my chances of coming in contact with it. As a rule, I avoid having sex with other men. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Nutrition plays a part in weight loss, you can't ignore nutrition while losing weight without endangering yourself.
    I never said anything about good/bad nutrition, I just said that you would lose weight. I said that because most people seem to think that you can't lose weight unless you eat healthy food, which is not true. Sure, you won't have all the nutrients you need and endanger yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight.