Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    Weight loss is all down to calories in < calories out. You could eat 100% pure sugar, but as long as you burn more calories than you consume, you'll lose weight. Leafy greens are better than cake because they have more vitamins, but it doesn't mean it's whats going to make you lose weight.
    Different food is made up of different types of atoms, obviously its going to affect you differently. Cake is bad for you because it has processes ingredients, saturated fats, lots of sugar etc... You're going to get like 1500 calories from a nice sized portion and not be able to eat anything for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2012-08-20 at 02:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    1.No such thing as bad or good food, disregard all information you read regarding good or bad food.
    Hey there, please delete your post very quickly because of how stupid you are. Thanks.

infracted
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-08-20 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Supplements don't even do anything really. I wouldn't take them at all.
    Supplements are there to do exactly that...supplement. 99% of them are bullshit with companies trying to sell you crap. But there are specific supplements that are very helpful for you if you're unable to get specific vitamins and minerals from food you're eating on that specific day. I prefer whole-foods for my protein over protein supplement powders, but sometimes due to time or financial constraints it's very helpful to have that around. I spend a few hundred a month on lean meats for protein, not everyone is able to do that.

I learn best by examples. I think a lot of the training material is geared for people who learn best by doing. The problem with training is there is an utter lack of examples, and I've searched.

The ideal example to me would be a video of a one-hour workout in REAL TIME. It doesn't help to just show the exercises. I want to see how they are handling things from step to step. I could hire a personal trainer. I found a great one but refuses to let me hire them, and I don't really want to hand over money to someone who may or may not know what they are doing.

I think people learn best by examples. When you want to teach a kid addition, you don't go into theory first. You sit them down and have them work 20 problems. Then another 20. Then another 20. Maybe later, waaaay later, you might go into theory.

So what you want is a whole bunch of one hour videos done in real time, going through the switching of exercises.

Without those examples, I think people are intimidated by the whole process, and are afraid to try and be laughed at.

Another big part is diet schedules. What do you eat, and when? Something simple and easy to access, with zero cooking or prep. Something we can grab right off the shelf. Again, that makes it accessible for new people.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2012-08-20 at 02:23 AM.

Different food is made up of different types of atoms, obviously its going to affect you differently. Cake is bad for you because it has processes ingredients, saturated fats, lots of sugar etc... You're going to get like 1500 calories from a nice sized portion and not be able to eat everything for the rest of the day.
    Can you not understand the point I'm trying to make? I'm talking about on paper. If you eat 5000 calories and burn 5500 calories in a day (unrealistic, I know) you will lose weight, no matter what you eat. I'm not trying to say it's a good approach, just that you're going to lose weight that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartst View Post
    Hey there, please delete your post very quickly because of how stupid you are. Thanks.
    Please do some research regarding "good" and "bad" food before you decide to post again. This is 2012 now. Not the 1980s. Believe it or not but you can eat anything you want as-long as it fits into your macro-nutrient, micro-nutrient and calorie requirements for the day.
    Last edited by Sussex; 2012-08-20 at 02:25 AM.

Weight: 180~
    Height: 5'10"
    Work/School Hours: School monday-friday 7:30-2:30, work on average 17 hours a week, spread throughout the week.
    Measurements: I really do not know, sorry
    Activity level: I am not involved with any sports, I play frisbee with some friends every now and then, and I have a very active day with the classes I take and my job(I am a waiter of sorts)
    Goal: Become physically fit and have a somewhat nice tone to my abs(I know, usual guy thing to say but I have been overweight all my life so I want that lol)

Really I just want to know what is a decent work out routine/diet that you can suggest for me that will not be crazy and taxing on my body. If possible I want to be at my goal by Christmas. I don't currently have a gym membership, but I have a treadmill in my basement. Besides that I have no other equipment for working out. I do not want to take any supplements or anything, and honestly I don't want to become a health nut. I just want to be fit.

Anything you can suggest, or a workout routine that I could do daily would be great. Thanks for the help, and it is awesome that you are doing this for other gamers out there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you not understand the point I'm trying to make? I'm talking about on paper. If you eat 5000 calories and burn 5500 calories in a day (unrealistic, I know) you will lose weight, no matter what you eat. I'm not trying to say it's a good approach, just that you're going to lose weight that way.
    You know a good way to lose weight? Chop some limbs off, you'll lose weight! Bringing up something like that is technically relevant but highly impractical. My point is you are talking about simply losing weight rather than improving your health and quality of life. It is a moot point that you lose weight if you're dead. This thread isn't about losing weight on paper, it is about reality. Use realistic examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

If it's not a good approach why are you even talking about it? No one cares what something looks like on paper, they want something that is useful for the real world. It seems like you just "learned" about diet and fitness from /fit/ and now you're trying to act like experts.

Work - 40 hours/week (3-midnight shifts)
    Age - 21
    Gender - Male
    Weight - 221
    Height - 6'5
    Measurements - not sure o.O
    Activity Level - Pretty active
    Goal - Not sure a good weight for my height, as long as its muscle and not fat weight.

My question is how do I get rid of the rest of my stomach fat? About 4 months ago I weighed 250lbs and now I am currently 221lbs. I have changed my diet completely so I eat much more healthy. My gym partner and I currently go to the gym at least 4 times/week and while there we do 10 minutes of the stair climber on level 10 (max being 20). Then for the next hour we work on arms and abs. The first month or two I was losing weight at a pretty steady pace but now It just seems I've hit a brick wall only losing 4 lbs in the passed month. We very rarely go out and run because he hates running and believes swimming is better than running. (true?) My main motivation to lose the rest of this weight is because I'm going with my Ex-GF to Texas in January and I can't be the fatass I once was. Any help, helps.

I'd like to see what kind of background/credentials you have to validate your opinions on nutrition/fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by QwertySham View Post
    My question is how do I get rid of the rest of my stomach fat?
    Run, diet, workout. And have a caloric deficit. While that is the correct formula, you still need to make sure you are eating the right foods because your body does need certain amounts of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Also, running at ~7 miles per hour will burn approximately 70 calories per 5 minutes. Also know that fat will be reduced on your body as a whole, and there is no way to reduce only stomach fat.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2012-08-20 at 02:58 AM.

Run, diet, workout. And have a caloric deficit. While that is the correct formula, you still need to make sure you are eating the right foods because your body does need certain amounts of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Also, running at ~7 miles per hour will burn approximately 70 calories per 5 minutes. Also know that fat will be reduced on your body as a whole, and there is no way to reduce only stomach fat.
    This is false. What do you think liposuction does?

Ask your Doctor and make sure to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion from other Doctors before undertaking any serious training regime or diet. Also I'd suggest not to take any supplements of any kind with your medical history without approval from your own Doctor who knows your history well. Seriously do not take anything without seeking advice from your doctor first.
    the doctor performing my surgery is pretty frickin good. whatever he says im doing it lol
    Ill discuss with him prior to most of my plans though.
    Can you suggest anything, i thought about drinking lots of orange juice. Vitamin D might not be too bad either since my sternum is going to be cracked open.
    My wife is also an ER nurse so she is pretty 'hip' on all the goings on. good topic though!

Please do some research regarding "good" and "bad" food before you decide to post again. This is 2012 now. Not the 1980s. Believe it or not but you can eat anything you want as-long as it fits into your macro-nutrient, micro-nutrient and calorie requirements for the day.
    I don't think the human body has changed much since 1980. You can eat anything you want regardless of what year it is, yes, but a diet of 2000 calories a day worth of Snickers Bars vs a diet of 2000 calories of fruits, veggies and lean protein are going to yield very different results in how you feel and function.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

*Hours: 8-10 work, very flexible though being a start up company for now. Previous was 11-15+ (IT oncall blows!)
    *Weight: 155
    *Height: 6 even
    *Measurements Waist is a 32/33
    *Activity Level: Moderate. Run 2 miles around the lake outside after around 11pm/12 every other day at least. Did the Tough Mudder 12 mile run last year, so feel that I'm in decent shape overall.
    *Goal: Opposite of what most people seem to aim for; gain weight / mass. I've always since high school been in the 145-150 weight range. Did crew for 5 years with two year coaching and for all purpose was in great shape. But regardless of the work out routine I rarely gain much mass, just tone up. I've try adjusting intake left and right yet the curse of not gaining anything continues. Even with about a 8 year break of zero activity and pretty much junky eating my weight stays the same; though over health levels were meh.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    This is false. What do you think liposuction does?
    *Through exercising

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 08:14 PM ----------

That is completely inaccurate. Do you think you'd be very healthy if you ate 2000 calories worth of rocks a day?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boley View Post
    Weight: 180~
    Height: 5'10"
    Work/School Hours: School monday-friday 7:30-2:30, work on average 17 hours a week, spread throughout the week.
    Measurements: I really do not know, sorry
    Activity level: I am not involved with any sports, I play frisbee with some friends every now and then, and I have a very active day with the classes I take and my job(I am a waiter of sorts)
    Goal: Become physically fit and have a somewhat nice tone to my abs(I know, usual guy thing to say but I have been overweight all my life so I want that lol)

Really I just want to know what is a decent work out routine/diet that you can suggest for me that will not be crazy and taxing on my body. If possible I want to be at my goal by Christmas. I don't currently have a gym membership, but I have a treadmill in my basement. Besides that I have no other equipment for working out. I do not want to take any supplements or anything, and honestly I don't want to become a health nut. I just want to be fit.

Anything you can suggest, or a workout routine that I could do daily would be great. Thanks for the help, and it is awesome that you are doing this for other gamers out there!
    Honestly, you don't need a lot of fancy equipment to get a physically fit body. Doing push ups for your biceps and crunches for your abs. Do squats as well, for improving your leg strength, make them even harder by adding in a jump where you stretch yourself all out.
    Running a threadmill is pretty fucking boring, if you want to jog do it outside, preferably on rough roads, it'll also help your stabilizing muscles. Or get a bike, it's more fun in my opinion, and it's easy to use when you go to work or to school.

When you work out, do as many repetitions as you can, then do it again 3 more times with 1 min break inbetween each set. Aim to do as many as you did the first time. Building muscle is not easy or painless, you will feel exhausted and sore in your arms and abs, but it's the only way you'll improve.
    When jogging or biking, keep it mid level intensity, 45 min duration or so, but it's more important that you're able to keep the pace for a long time with 2 min breaks where you slow down, but DON'T STOP.

Keep in mind what you eat. Eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and a evening meal. With a middle meal in between. It hardly matters what you eat, as long as it isn't the same thing for every meal, but do mind the size of your portions. Eating more often does not mean that you need to eat more. A in between meal should be at most an apple, for example.
    Don't worry about supplements and stuff like that, chances are you probably got enough fat on your body for it to do what it needs to do. Just don't starve yourself.

In addition, try to keep yourself conscious of the fact that you want to get more fit, don't take the elevator, take the stairs. If you find yourself with 5 spare minutes to school, do a long cut instead of a short cut. Walk the long way around a block in stead of the shorter route.
    And remember the awesome feeling you get when you have done a good thorough work out. It'll help you through the next day when you're sore as all hell :P

And at last, depending on your body type you will need to cut down really hard on salt and almost starve yourself to be able to show off your nice abs, it's not worth the effort, just keep up with 3-4 work outs a week, where 2 are muscle building and the other are stamina related. If you can keep it up, you'll notice the effect soon enough and while you can't show off the tasty abs, you'll look a lot better. I know I do.

Thanks for the awesome answer!

I failed to mention that there is a tv in front of the treadmill so it does not get too boring, but I like the idea of running outside more often.

I think I will take a lot of your tips into my routine, thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Cake makes me happy. Happiness reduces stress. Reduction in stress makes me healthier.

Leafy greens make me sad. Sadness makes me suicidal. Suicide results in death. Death is not healthy.
    Lol, nice one =p