Deleted

Looking for a roman themed strategy game.

Ive recently been playing crusader kings II , an extraordinary game, and reading a 3000 paged trilogy on the life of Romans.
    Obviously I'm now seeking for a strategy game set in the roman era.

Not a build barracks - train army - kill enemy base type of strategy game but preferably one with more depth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War

you cannot go wrong. Rome total war is a title deserving of its place in any top 5 grand strategy games of all time.
    Last edited by Rekindled; 2012-08-20 at 03:46 PM.
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

Rome total war is definitely the way to go. You can get it for like 10 bucks on steam with an added expansion. I would also recommend ANY total war game (except maybe the empire stuff, not my favorite)

I don't get why everyone says Rome: Total War is better then Medieval II. Both were amazing games, but in my view, they were almost the same one, except different time periods and with Medieval II brushing everything up. I enjoyed both hugely however.

Medieval II takes the cake for me anyway, due to it having better mods. Stainless Steel 6.4 for Medieval II is still absolutely AMAZING and still gets updated, although it requires the expansion, Kingdoms, which is anyway one of the best Total War expansions ever made.

Rome : Total War is still great though, and if you're specifically looking for a Roman one then thats the way to go. Before playing it though, install Europa Barbarorum (you can find it on the internet). It's one of the best Rome : Total War mods and in my opinion is its equivalent of Stainless Steel, except I don't think it requires the expansion packs. This mod makes a great game better.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Rome:Total War is a great choice for a roman themed strategy game, Medieval 2:Total War is also a solid choice because of the Byzantine Empire (remnants of roman empire).

And as Migey said: if you get Rome:Total War, download Europa Barbarorum mod for it. If you get Medieval 2 Total War, download Stainless Steel (6.4).

Another good mod for M2TW is Broken Crescent which is definitely worth trying as well. Personally I prefer Stainless Steel over it, but that doesn't take anything from BC, still a great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I don't get why everyone says Rome: Total War is better then Medieval II. Both were amazing games, but in my view, they were almost the same one, except different time periods and with Medieval II brushing everything up. I enjoyed both hugely however.

Medieval II takes the cake for me anyway, due to it having better mods. Stainless Steel 6.4 for Medieval II is still absolutely AMAZING and still gets updated, although it requires the expansion, Kingdoms, which is anyway one of the best Total War expansions ever made.

Rome : Total War is still great though, and if you're specifically looking for a Roman one then thats the way to go. Before playing it though, install Europa Barbarorum (you can find it on the internet). It's one of the best Rome : Total War mods and in my opinion is its equivalent of Stainless Steel, except I don't think it requires the expansion packs. This mod makes a great game better.
    Technically, he did say Roman-themed. It doesn't get any better than Rome: Total War at that.

Yep Rome:Total War is a good strategie game with a Roman theme
    But if you don't care about graphics then is Age of Empires 1 also worth investing some time in.

Pretty much /thread. Rome:Total War.

If you are into the more higher level strategy Europa Universalis had a Rome version. EU is a little to high brow for me though.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Rome Total War is great.

If you wanted a more tactical game, I would suggest 'Gladius'. That was an amazing game that is often overlooked.