The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts on this service provider.

Hey mmo-champs,

Very soon my wife and I will be moving into a rural area, and it seems the only internet provider for broadband will be Windstream dsl. Here is a link showing the available packages http://www.windstream.com/residentia...t-service.html

Anyway, my question is how well will the top end package run wow? It's only 12 Mbps, whereas what we have now (cable) is 50 Mbps. We plan on both running directly from the router, not on wireless. I am the main tank and she is one of our primary healers in our ten man guild, and I am concerned that with a sub standard connection we may have to change roles or quit raiding altogether.

Any insight people may have would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

I'm in a similar situation, and my bandwidth is usually between 12 and 18 mbps. Occasionally there can be problems, but usually only if someone's got a really high speed download in progress. Make sure to pause your torrents before gaming and you'll probably be fine. It certainly shouldn't cause you to be unable to perform in an encounter; it's more likely that your connection will just hang for a few seconds once in a blue moon.

If what you actually end up getting is significantly less than that 12 though, I could see more regular problems occurring. I pay for a 25 mbps package, but I've very rarely actually seen that. I don't know if that's a common occurrence.

I live in England so ive raided on some pretty bad connections before i raided fairly hardcore during tbc on a 3mbps line when i lived in a cottage in the middle of a golf course since there was no other alternative, that line was through the phone socket and not cable too, i had no problems what so ever unless there was a power cut but thats another matter entirely

im right in thinking its more to do with your upload rather than download speeds though with online gaming?

You don't need anything remotely near 12 mbps to play WoW, WoW takes minimal bandwidth.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

~Tbh you do not need more than 10mb for wow, although i prefer a faster connection, it is the truth, as long as the service is clean like a proper connection, you will be fine.

By that i mean the ping / packet loss.
    For example
    7 + months ago i had Virgin Media, 50 mb service, unlimited download etc, great?
    Every night i wanted to raid my latency was running at 5k+ and a packet loss of 50-99% this resulted in speedtests like 2mb, therefore the 50mb package sounds better but was actually worse than a standard 10 mb connection ^^

I think the best bet would be to check the forums of the ISP you are speaking about (providing they have one) and check their feedback for how clean and stable their service is.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    I think the best bet would be to check the forums of the ISP you are speaking about (providing they have one) and check their feedback for how clean and stable their service is.
    You have to take it with a huge grain of salt and not get too discouraged though. The people that are satisfied because their connection is stabled aren't going to be coming to support forums for complaints.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Er, I play wow with a ping of 14 on a 2mb connection at my summer home. You'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in rural UK with a top speed of 5mb and me, my brother both play wow while my sister watches the BBC Iplayer and we have no issues, I used to live in London and had 50mb but had worse latency then lol.. with Iplayer on my sisters laptop and playing wow I have around 75ms, brother is same.. with no Iplayer we both have under 30/35ms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive been playing wow up until i quit with 1,2mbits (120kb/ps) fine i was mostly 25man raiding so you do not need that kind of internet to play wow but better dl/upl is always nice

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

10+ Year Old Account
    i can play on the verizon 4gLTE, so DSL cant be that bad, you have a max of 12Mb per second, (about 1.5MB per second total download speed) but it may be slower depending on how far away you are, (cable gets this too, its not just DSL)