Poll: Would you rather work in a high paying job or one that made you happy?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    if the job that would make me happy did not pay enough for me to have the basics of life taken care of then i would not be happy, would i?

so are we to go on the assumption that the job that makes me happy is one that is going to pay for all of my basics of life?

Quote Originally Posted by Xsinthis View Post
    "I've been rich and I've been poor. It's better to be rich." ~Gertrude Stein
    "I've been happy and I've been depressed. It's better to be happy." ~Some random guy on the internet

Deleted
    Money=happiness. I always take the job that I'm happy with and it pays a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    "I've been happy and I've been depressed. It's better to be happy." ~Some random guy on the internet
    Gertrude Stein was a famous poet not just "some random internet guy"
    don't be rude

Deleted
    You ALWAYS take the job that makes you happy. Humans are incapable of acting in any other way. Man acts to dispel feelings of uneasiness. Whenever he acts, he chooses the action that he feels will dispel the uneasiness.

Quote Originally Posted by McSpriest View Post
    don't be rude
    I really don't give a monkeys who she is. I will treat her just the same as I treat everyone else who makes a stupidly obvious comment and ridicule them.

I used to be of the mind that we should do what we enjoy, no matter how much you get paid.

And then I realized that I spend only 40 hours a week at work, and 120 hours a week at home. I want to spend money so that I have fun outside of work. I can easily shove the B.S. that I deal with at work aside, because I know my paycheck will be nice and fat and I can afford the things I enjoy doing (going to sporting events, playing guitar, playing video games, etc).

EDIT: I forgot to add my favorite quote that a friend of mine gave me one day:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but I would rather cry in a mansion."
    Last edited by IxilaFA; 2012-08-21 at 07:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpriest View Post
    don't be rude
    The point is, being happier rich than poor has nothing to do with general happiness. It's equally absurd to saying in the context of this thread: "I've had a job which made me happy, and i've had a job which made me unhappy. It's better to have the job that makes you happy."

15+ Year Old Account
    They say money cannot buy happiness...

...which is a total load of crap.

I always take the highest paying job. I can get by not being happy at work if it puts me in a different tax bracket.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-08-21 at 08:07 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I used to be of the mind that we should do what we enjoy, no matter how much you get paid.

And then I realized that I spend only 40 hours a week at work, and 120 hours a week at home. I want to spend money so that I have fun outside of work. I can easily shove the B.S. that I deal with at work aside, because I know my paycheck will be nice and fat and I can afford the things I enjoy doing (going to sporting events, playing guitar, playing video games, etc).

EDIT: I forgot to add my favorite quote that a friend of mine gave me one day:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but I would rather cry in a mansion."
    The problem is when you hate your job 40 hrs will seem like 120

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    The problem is when you hate your job 40 hrs will seem like 120
    I agree if you 'hate' it. But in situations of indifference, more money is better. I've done both, and being able to provide more in my home life and never worry about money makes my over all quality of life much better than making a lot less to do something awesome for a relatively smaller portion of my life. My life revolves around the hours after work, not during.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    i would only take a job that pays significantly higher if it wasnt something i dislike I dont want to make my list of mistakes in life endless

If a job makes me happy and I can sustain myself on it, I don't see any way how it isn't better. I can live without luxuries, especially considering I'll be spending, more likely than not, more time at the job than leisure, I'd prioritize the job being more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If a job makes me happy and I can sustain myself on it, I don't see any way how it isn't better. I can live without luxuries, especially considering I'll be spending, more likely than not, more time at the job than leisure, I'd prioritize the job being more fun.
    Really the only way I see this being true is if you make a living doing your favorite hobby. For example, writers spend a large portion of their time writing because they enjoy it, any money they make is just a bonus.

Having worked a job that I loved but barely making enough money to survive, I can tell you that it's not that easy to live without luxuries. It gets stressful worrying about where your rent check is going to come from, or having a strict budget when you go to the grocery store. Now I work a job that pays almost twice as much as the other one, but the workplace is almost openly hostile. Yet I am still planning on sticking around because now I can afford to go to the store and not worry about money, or if my car breaks down I know that I can afford to fix it, or I can take a night off and go crazy on the town without worrying about spending too much money on drinks.

I guess it's honestly personal preference. Some people can be happy living with nothing. But why be happy with that when you can find a good middle ground?

I'd take the higher paying job only if the pay was significantly higher. My wishes are my wishes but i still need to take in consideration wellbeing of my family.

P.S. Still regretting finishing law education instead of biology becouse science situation was dire in 90th in RF.

Deleted
    I'd always take the higher paying job

I work to live, I don't live to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaftwig View Post
    I'd always take the higher paying job

I work to live, I don't live to work.
    A job that you enjoy wouldn't necessarily be work though, would it? I mean, there's the saying that if you find a job doing what you like you'll never work again. If I could get a job with a decent salary at a writing outlet that I enjoyed it wouldn't be a job, it would be something I enjoy doing that people pay me for.

I mean, it's still technically work, but it's not something that you see as that thing you do so you can continue to live like within certain standards.

Well I dont think Id bother with a job I hate inn the longer run...

Trough Im one that always in all cases would pick money...mm.