Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MOP Priest Profession advice please :)

My Disc priest is currently a herbalist and alchemist, but I want to drop herbalism for a profession that provides higher stats.

I have given Tailoring (cloak enchants) and Jewelcrafting (goes well with alchemy) the most consideration, but I am open to any suggestions. I would like to min/max for high level raiding. I am under the impression that engineering has more gadgets that I'd make use of for my priest, so I'll likely save it for my next toon.

What do you think I should chose, and why?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Kirse; 2012-08-20 at 09:35 PM.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Tailoring is a "set it and forget it" profession. You put the Embroidery on your cloak and that's it. It procs when it procs and you can react to it, but otherwise you can't control it. This is bad for bosses that have required burst burn phases since you have no control over when it procs. This is probably not an issue for you. Same thing with Jewelcrafting. Engineering is all On Use, so you can control them. It's up to you if you want another button to push.

From HowToPriest, current as of yesterday, courtesy of Veiled:

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1625

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled
    Using Twintops stat values:
    Int = 1.0000
    Spirit = 0.5932
    Spell Power = 0.8153
    Hit = 0.5932
    Crit = 0.4068
    Haste = 0.7546
    Mastery = 0.3751
    DPS (Pure Damage) = 0.2812
    --

Leatherworking
    Fur Lining (bracers), +500 int -- 330
    ----------
    Engineering
    Synapse Springs, 1920 Int, 10s dur, 1m CD -- 320

Enchanting
    2x Rings, 160 int/ea -- 320

Jewelcrafting
    2x Brilliant Serpent's Eye, 320 int/ea -- 320

Tailoring
    Lightweave Embroidery, 2000 int, 15s dur, 1m CD -- 320

Blacksmithing
    2x Sockets, 160 int/ea -- 320

Secret Crane Wing Inscription, 520 int, 100 crit -- 320

Alchemy
    Mixology, 320 extra int, 320
    ----------
    Herbalism
    Lifeblood, 1920 haste, 20s dur, 2m CD -- 241

Skinning
    Master of Anatomy, 320 crit -- 320=130

Mining
    Toughness, +480 stam -- 0
    ----------

Huh..what?

Leatherworking - 500 int = 330
    Enchanting - 320 int = 320

wat?
    Last edited by Vook; 2012-08-20 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Normal bracer enchant 170 int, LW 500 so +330 stat increase

I would pick engineering over everything else probably.
    For disc, gloves line up with spirit shell perfectly. For shadow you could line it with every second DP by delaying it slightly (no dps loss there) and with mindbender if you opt into it.
    Not to mention the nitro boosts, they are still of immense utility even with the fail rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    I would pick engineering over everything else probably.
    Engineering is the best

Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    Thank you so much for your great responses. I have decided to go with Tailoring, but I will definitely make my Monk an engineer
    Tailoring is pretty much the worst choice you could make, aside for Skinning, mining and Herbalism. Why'd you even ask us?
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2012-08-21 at 04:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    Engineering is the best

Tailoring is pretty much the worst choice you could make, aside for Skinning, mining and Herbalism. Why'd you even ask us?
    The HowToPriest numbers suggested that Tailoring or Engineering would be the best options. Wouldn't the cloak proc be stronger than the static bonuses from most other professions, other than Engineering? I did not mean to offend. I was just less inclined to take Engineering due to not being able to fully enjoy the pvp benefits to justify the expense, since I do mostly arena and rbgs.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    The HowToPriest numbers suggested that Tailoring or Engineering would be the best options. Wouldn't the cloak proc be stronger than the static bonuses from most other professions, other than Engineering? I did not mean to offend. I was just less inclined to take Engineering due to not being able to fully enjoy the pvp benefits to justify the expense, since I do mostly arena and rbgs.
    Where do you not enjoy the pvp benefits exactly?
    Sure, you don't get to use nitro boosts and other stuff, but other professions just don't have them at all.

Tailoring is good if you track procs properly. I personally found it quite fun, although playing shadow in t11-t12 you didn't really have that leeway in rotation to benefit from it properly, and in t13 it has fallen off due to the gear. No clue about disc though. I'd probably stick to static bonuses with healers, generally.

Engineering is best for lining up procs and you get a raid level helmet pretty early. Its terrible for making money, though. Some fun toys.

JC means being able to cut your own gems or prospect cheap ore - great since you have alchemy already to transmute gems to cut, and you can prospect ore for green gems to transmute into rares. JC and Alchemy go well together for money making. JC's bonus is on par but there aren't much in the way of raiding perks. Even better if you have Enchanting on an alt.

Enchanting is nice because you can DE your old raid gear for additional mats for enchants, saves you a ton of cash, so that's a raiding perk. Otherwise, par for bonuses.

Tailoring - again, nice to line up with procs. Bags are a one time purchase. you save a lot of cash making your own leg enchants. Dreamcloth is annoying, if there's anything like that in MoP you might avoid tailoring.

Inscription - you can make staves and DMCs which will be really nice for raiding at the start. You can also make a lot of gold with DMCs. You can make money later on selling shoulder enchants as well.

BS, LW - not really a good fit for Priests other than the raid perk, which you can basically get from professions that better fit a Priest. Belt buckles are nice to have, and sometimes you can make healer weapons with BS at the start. LW only gives melee/tank leg enchants, so that's not very helpful. If you just want the bonuses its fine though. The BS/JC combo is overhyped.

Personally, if you already have Alchemy, I'd go for Jewelcrafting, or if you really just want min/max bonuses and don't care about gold making, take Engineering.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-08-21 at 06:11 AM.

Engineering is the best for both PvE and PvP; simply because the cooldowns are there when you need them (Burst healing or burst DPS); tailoring is realistically the worst, because the proc is random and generally not very helpful and certainly cannot be counted on.

Engineering is the best for both PvE and PvP; simply because the cooldowns are there when you need them (Burst healing or burst DPS); tailoring is realistically the worst, because the proc is random and generally not very helpful and certainly cannot be counted on.
    I don't see the logic behind that statement.
    The proc is about as helpful as engineering cooldowns. In cata, tailoring nets slightly above everything else. On paper, they're all exactly equal.

If you know how to use your cooldowns and line up procs, engineering is slightly ahead of static bonuses. More so if there are periods where you can't dps.
    Same logic is used with tailoring, if you know how to track it and how to react to it, you'll come up ahead. Again, more so if there are periods where you can't dps (Unless RNG hates you and you get a proc just before such period begins, but that doesn't necessarily render the point invalid). Considering proc rate is rather very high, and its ICD is known, you certainly can count on it.
    Last edited by Celentes; 2012-08-21 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will agree that Engi is a good prof for Priests. This is true at the start of the x-pac with Engi Epic Heads.

Tailoring's Lightweave proc is great because empirically I've seen that because of it's similar ICD to trinkets and other effects you see them proccing at similar times. Cheap leg enchants are awesome as well as being able to craft a lot of great gear for next to nothing. Bags also sell really well.

Deleted
    Just to point out the OP is talking about disc and not shadow. It may be the case that you'll gearing spirit above int for healing, especially early on. If this is the case then the profession balance changes massively. Blacksmithing and alchemy pretty much become the best (since gems would give you +640spirit from BS, alchemy gives you the normal 320spirit). JC gives the +320spirit also, last time I checked. I believe that tailoring comes in next, the same 320spirit bonus, but may proc on the pull when you're at full mana and be wasted.
    The other professions currently give no option for spirit afaik.

Then again, will you be choosing spirit over intellect? I don't know, but I like to keep options open.
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2012-08-21 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celentes View Post
    I don't see the logic behind that statement.
    Considering proc rate is rather very high, and its ICD is known, you certainly can count on it.
    But only if you sit on the proc and do absolutely nothing to trigger it, in which case you're penalizing yourself and/or the raid.

But only if you sit on the proc and do absolutely nothing to trigger it, in which case you're penalizing yourself and/or the raid.
    Again, you can count on it to happen. Whether you can avoid it being a waste or not is judged from case to case.
    Disc can spam shields and cast penance on the move now, also instant holyfire with atonement, so you can avoid the proc from being completely wasted if you can't stand still. If you don't have to heal in the given situation, well that may be an issue. Design matter above everything though. I just generally don't see much point in procs for healing, but I'm not exactly a dedicated healer to judge that. However, the proc being random and inability to count on it is not a valid argument.

Deleted
    I think like someone mentioned above it will depend on whether you're wanting spirit or intellect when basing which prof to go for. As a healer, personally I'll most likely focus on spirit early on in MOP.
    Last edited by mmoc76daca7658; 2012-08-21 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piffnifty View Post
    I think like someone mentioned above it will depend on whether you're wanting spirit or intellect when basing which prof to go for. As a healer, personally I'll most likely focus on spirit early on in MOP.
    With static mana pools Spirit will retain much of it's value through the entire x-pac.

Tailoring is a good choice for healing priests since its one of the only professions that provide that much spirit (JC amd alchemy are the only other prof that provides the option to do so). And as stated a few times already, Spirit will be CRITICAL early on until we get more insane spirit on our gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    Tailoring is a good choice for healing priests since its one of the only professions that provide that much spirit (JC amd alchemy are the only other prof that provides the option to do so). And as stated a few times already, Spirit will be CRITICAL early on until we get more insane spirit on our gear.
    You missed out blacksmithing there, which actually seems to be the strongest right now