Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    You know you make no sense, right? First of all, the article obviously wants to undermine the work of climate scientists. Secondly...what does your comment after your quote have to do with anything? You seem to claim that they are wrong about human-caused climate change (is anthropomorphic the right word? doesn't that mean "looks like a human"?) when market forces are humanly triggered anyway.

You're putting anti-science talk with pro-business rhetoric and a spice of bias in a blender and trying to serve it like the nectar of the gods.

You seem to advocate that market forces will solve the problem when it wasn't that business decided to be nice to the environment, they found something cheaper and coincidentally a by-product was less CO2 emissions.
    You definitely got me on the anthropomorphic thing lol! Google at least confirms I spelled it right! kek!

I knew it was anthro somethin', caused by humans.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-08-21 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anthropomorphism is giving human traits to non-human things. What would that make anthropomorphic climate change even? I have no idea what they're suggesting with that. Anthropomorphic climate change would not be attributing climate change to humans, it would be giving the climate human attributes. I think someone thought the word seemed cool and decided to use it without understanding it. Gotta love when people start using words without actually knowing the definition. I don't believe the people using the word anthropomorphic to describe climate change are actually scientists just based off the fact that they are incorrectly using the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Awesome, when you hit a child you'll be sure to kill them! I mean you've already been in three accidents, it's bound to happen sooner or later. (Yes yes, I'm sure none of them was your fault, you don't need to bore me with the stories.)
    That's a pretty retarded statement honestly. If you hit a child on a motorcycle you're still likely to kill them. SuVs are safer overall for the person in them as long as they don't act like invincible teenagers in them. Car Companies really need to quit sucking on the tit of oil companies and grow up and make some innovations. I mean it's the damn 21st century and we're still using the combustion engine. Also Brazil has it's own completely renewable fuel yet we don't? Sure makes you wonder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    You definitely got me on the anthropomorphic thing lol! Google at least confirms I spelled it right! kek!
    It's not like anthropogenic is a word one uses every day. I see where you got confused xD

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Anthropomorphism is giving human traits to non-human things. What would that make anthropomorphic climate change even? I have no idea what they're suggesting with that. Anthropomorphic climate change would not be attributing climate change to humans, it would be giving the climate human attributes. I think someone thought the word seemed cool and decided to use it without understanding it. Gotta love when people start using words without actually knowing the definition. I don't believe the people using the word anthropomorphic to describe climate change are actually scientists just based off the fact that they are incorrectly using the word.
    So like..Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney are anthropomorphic. Did I use it right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Yeah, that's on me. I use this excuse all the time but I was posting hastily at work heh. I googled it too quickly. I get fired up about what I hear on the news and want to post it while I'm on the clock O.O
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-08-21 at 01:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like anthropogenic is a word one uses every day. I see where you got confused xD

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 09:53 PM ----------

Yes! I am glad I wasn't drinking water when I read your post or it would be all over my keyboard right now. On a note of my post it wasn't actually directed at the OP, it is directed at what comes up when you google "anthropomorphic climate change".
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2012-08-21 at 01:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's on me. I use this excuse all the time but I was posting hastily at work heh. I googled it too quickly. I get fired up about what I hear on the news and want to post it while I'm on the clock O.O
    While on the clock!? Gasp! That's the work ethic of people on welfare!

JK

Yes! I am glad I wasn't drinking water when I read your post or it would be all over my keyboard right now. On a note of my post it wasn't actually directed at the OP, it is directed at what comes up when you google "anthropomorphic climate change".
    Thank you, thank you.
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-08-21 at 01:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    That's a pretty retarded statement honestly. If you hit a child on a motorcycle you're still likely to kill them. SuVs are safer overall for the person in them as long as they don't act like invincible teenagers in them. Car Companies really need to quit sucking on the tit of oil companies and grow up and make some innovations. I mean it's the damn 21st century and we're still using the combustion engine. Also Brazil has it's own completely renewable fuel yet we don't? Sure makes you wonder.
    Yes, if you hit a child on a motorcycle at speed you are likely to kill them. However the speed needs to be considerably lower in an SUV compared to any other vehicle except a tank. Safer for the driver, lethal for everybody else. Wonderful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, if you hit a child on a motorcycle at speed you are likely to kill them. However the speed needs to be considerably lower in an SUV compared to any other vehicle except a tank. Safer for the driver, lethal for everybody else. Wonderful.
    I thought cars were being made with less sturdy materials or w/e since when you crash the force does not get transferred from the point of impact to your body or something like that.

I suck ass at physics, though.

What?! I'll have none of that nonsense!

I was under the impression that Motorcycles still weigh hundreds of pounds. Even if they were to 'gently' roll over a child they could still very likely kill them. Your argument makes no sense. Come back with a better one.

Deleted
    I thought cars were being made with less sturdy materials or w/e since when you crash the force does not get transferred from the point of impact to your body or something like that.

I suck ass at physics, though.
    Yes, cars are being made safer for pedestrians, however those are normal cars.. Unless they develop an SUV made of NASA memory foam they are always going to be incredibly dangerous in accidents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You say live at peace with the environment, I say dominate and master it.
    Using alternative energies is essentially dominating the environment. While not dominating per se, in the end we're using nature for our own gain.

But considering it's you Kalyyn, it's no surprise you'd discart a peaceful option in favor xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, cars are being made safer for pedestrians, however those are normal cars.. Unless they develop an SUV made of NASA memory foam they are always going to be incredibly dangerous in accidents.
    Oh, so the safety is for pedestrians. I thought it was for the drivers, but I guess it makes no sense.
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-08-21 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I need my SUV.
    Sure you do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    I was under the impression that Motorcycles still weigh hundreds of pounds. Even if they were to 'gently' roll over a child they could still very likely kill them. Your argument makes no sense. Come back with a better one.
    I think it's more likely that you just don't understand it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-of-death.html

Oh, so the safety is for pedestrians. I thought it was for the drivers, but I guess it makes no sense.
    Uh... wut? It's for both. If all the cars were to be made of softer material or w/e, then everyone would benefit, the drivers and the pedestrians. Though, I suppose, the focus is mainly on the drivers at the moment and has been like that for quite some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, when you hit a child you'll be sure to kill them! I mean you've already been in three accidents, it's bound to happen sooner or later. (Yes yes, I'm sure none of them was your fault, you don't need to bore me with the stories.)
    You knew I was in a story telling mood today! Somebody must have tipped you off -.-
    And my stories are awesome, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    But considering it's you Kalyyn, it's no surprise you'd discart a peaceful option in favor xD
    I laughed so much at this XD Yeah, that's no secret, it's just an instinctive reaction for me. If you showed me a solar-powered car and told me that it ran by stealing sunlight from the air simply out of spite, or told me that turbine farms disrupted wind and water currents simply for the amusement of mankind, I'd probably be sold in a second

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 02:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Uh... wut? It's for both. If all the cars were to be made of softer material or w/e, then everyone would benefit, the drivers and the pedestrians. Though, I suppose, the focus is mainly on the drivers at the moment and has been like that for quite some time.
    2 of my 3 accidents were nature related: One where I slid on an icy road into a pole, and the other where a flood pushed my truck into a rather deep ditch nose-first. Came out without a scratch in both, which I once again attribute to the strength of solid steel. I've never actually hit another human, or human-driven object. Which actually kind of nullifies tommypilgrim's attack against me, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Kalyyn; 2012-08-21 at 02:20 AM.

Deleted
    These are also the same climate scientists that environmentally-minded people point to and call Checkmate. That the vast majority of these scientists advocate anthropogenic climate change.
    I think you misunderstand the difference between being a natural scientist, which makes you expert on observing actual facts about nature, modelling things based on science of nature, on one hand, and being a political/sociological psychic.

Some scientists dedicate their lives to understanding what is going on and what the facts about nature are. They don't claim, and no one claims that they will know what twists and turns policy decisions will take in or what technology will develop, for better or worse.

However, the facts they are reporting, including those about human made climate change, are still valid, even if they didn't make predictions way out of their scientific expertise.

That is, in fact, the very idea of science: You learn about stuff, then you study them further and advance our knowledge. Then there are other people learning about other stuff, study those and advance our knowledge.

You seem to claim that just because one group of scientists didn't predict something totally out of their area of expertise, the stuff they say about things WITHIN their area of expertise is invalid, when in fact, it is the other way around: Science excels when scientists are allowed to study their subjects and then other scientists study other subjects and come with reports of their findings in those areas. And this approach is what has given us the excellent understanding of, among many other things, how CO2 and other gases interact with climate.

Wonder what new things they'll be surprised by next?
    Probably who wins the next superbowl will surprise a lot of climate scientists. Becuase that is not something they study on a professional and scientific basis. They'll probably not be surprised about the next scientific findings about climate science though.

Likewise, climate scientists suck at predicting next year's swimsuit fashion. Because that is not what they study professionally.
    Last edited by mmocef71e99c15; 2012-08-21 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    I think you misunderstand the difference between being a natural scientist, which makes you expert on observing actual facts about nature, modelling things based on science of nature, on one hand, and being a political/sociological psychic.

Some scientists dedicate their lives to understanding what is going on and what the facts about nature are. They don't claim, and no one claims that they will know what twists and turns policy decisions will take in or what technology will develop, for better or worse.

However, the facts they are reporting, including those about human made climate change, are still valid, even if they didn't make predictions way out of their scientific expertise.

That is, in fact, the very idea of science: You learn about stuff, then you study them further and advance our knowledge. Then there are other people learning about other stuff, study those and advance our knowledge.

You seem to claim that just because one group of scientists didn't predict something totally out of their area of expertise, the stuff they say about things WITHIN their area of expertise is invalid, when in fact, it is the other way around:

Probably who wins the next superbowl will surprise a lot of climate scientists. Becuase that is not something they study on a professional and scientific basis. They'll probably not be surprised about the next scientific findings about climate science though.

Likewise, climate scientists suck at predicting next year's swimsuit fashion. Because that is not what they study professionally.

What do climate scientists study, then? Do they study climate change? Because that's where I'm laying my chips. And they failed to factor the market impact. I question if they're unaware of or can't be asked to account for other variables when they make declarations about the environment that masses of people hang their hat on. Just saying.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-08-21 at 02:30 AM.