Thread: HDD Question

HDD Question

I think my secondary HDD is going bad in my tower, its a gaming rig, was wondering and looking on new egg whats the best bang for my buck. i want at least a 1tb was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148840 any help would be appreciated
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

Deleted
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB best performance (and it's reliable) if you're going to be running games off of it.

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB If it's mainly for storage and paired with an SSD. Guess the deal ($80) just ended so might not be much to save compared to the WD Black.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO the WD 2TB Caviar Green 64mb cache is the best bang for your buck and there isnt too much of a difference (warranty being the notable exception 2yr for the green vs 5yr for the black) I'd post a link to one from Newegg.com but it says that they have been discontinued though you could still find them other places (like newegg.ca for some reason...)

WD Caviar Black Spec Sheet

WD Caviar Green Spec Sheet

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by JosephStylin View Post
    IMO the WD 2TB Caviar Green 64mb cache is the best bang for your buck and there isnt too much of a difference (warranty being the notable exception 2yr for the green vs 5yr for the black) I'd post a link to one from Newegg.com but it says that they have been discontinued though you could still find them other places (like newegg.ca for some reason...)

WD Caviar Green Spec Sheet

I would generally stay away from the Greens they tend to be slower, but use less power consumption. That is if the OP is planning on running any programs and what not from it. If its just for file storage (pics, video, stuff) not a really big deal. This could also be bad experience but we have had alot of Greens go bad in our business computers we support that came in the Dells we have.
    Blues are basically your general everyday hardrive pretty standard.
    Black is more "performance" tuned, might draw more power, and very reliable.
    In order of those drives I would go 1. Black 2. Blue 3.Green if I was limited to Western Digital.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Thanks for the replies guys, i've heard a ton of bad things about the caviar greens like DoA and the such, but yes its going to be my main operating HDD and be running games and other programs off of it. Was looking at the caviar black tho or the one i linked price is a big concern but ill pay a bit more for something reliable.

Was thinking SSD/HD combo tho and just install OS on the ssd and use the secondary as my gaming hd time will tell, again thank you for the support
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.