Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

News on arena rating decay for mists?

Has anyone heard anything about if there will be changes to arena ratings for inactive teams for mists of Pandaria?
    It annoys some players a lot how some teams just play up to very high ratings (in week one or two) and then stop playing, yet still they get gladiator and rank 1 etc.
    This forces the active teams to run out of high rated teams to face, forcing their rating down or at least making it much harder to increase.
    The proposed changes I have read on various forums included losing 5% of your rating per week of no play and or some suggested no activity for a month first, but then more than 5%.
    I am guessing there will be no changes in mop and perhaps most of the pvp community agree that's fine but let's debate it here.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    100% agree
    nough said

There are r1 teams that haven't even been active in 4-5 months.

System needs rating decay badly, but with the amount of effort or consideration Blizz puts into pvp... things probably aren't changing.

Deleted
    Imo arena rating decay wouldn't be as good as a system similar to bonus pool in sc2. It is basically a decay system as well, but doesn't punish you the same way as rating decay would do. Bonus pool is a pool of points (rating) which grows constantly and slowly through the whole season and this way it would promote people to play now and then through the whole season because otherwise active people would pass them in the ladder because they get extra rating from the bonus pool.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a recent blue post on the matter:
    "
    What are you doing in order to try and ensure that players no longer play for a short while at the start of a season and then sit on their ratings to get gladiator? This causes issues because there are quite often very few players playing at higher ratings because of this and it creates a repetitive experience of fighting the same teams constantly.

A: It's really difficult to measure this type of thing right now, but we don't ordinarily see large numbers of players making a habit out of achieving a rating and sitting there successfully without playing. "

So in other words nothing is going to be done about it.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Yep, tbh Blizzard doesn't really care about the arena ladders.

The arena rating system needs a serious revamp. RBG rating is even worse.

It doesn't seem like anyone on the WoW team cares about or understands competitive PvP. They should consult the SCII team if they want their players to continue to care about PvP in any real way.

Everything about battlegrounds and arena needs a revamp or redesign, preferably with support and input from people who actually do PvP O_o

Fuck me, just look at the thing about the new battleground table score tab right next to the leave battleground option. Horrible design implementation and there was no need to change what it was before; nothing said on this as yet apart from GC saying there's not even any plans to offer any UI or match type options to battlegrounds right now.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes well I am happy we are all on the same page. pvE content is pretty much all the devs care about imo.
    If pvE was a city it would be London or Paris , pvP would be a small village with 1 shop and a few houses.
    It's not like it would take a great deal of time for the changes to be made to pvp, they just don't care enough about it.

The pvp community perhaps needs to be more vocal, let's stop being drowned out by the pvE tidal wave.
    Like when you see a blue post how often really is it on pvp.

I have heard from Blues that they do not like people sitting on ratings and in doing so, create a poor arena experience in the mid to latter months because people have no need to remain active, essentially creating a ghost town and long que times. Also, in a game where they are constantly balancing, one Fotm comp can roll into Glad range and just log off for 5 months and collect a title. They need rating decay for so many reasons. I just hope they do more than talk this time around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rating decay should have been implemented years ago, it would have prevented a lot of disgusting things like fotm re-rollers camping gladiator and then going elitist around.
    This is completely a no deal for me, im fine playing the "underdog" class, but im not fine with retarded people getting rewards because they rerolled some OP class, got high rank and then sit comfortably waiting even when their class got some hotfixes or plain nerfs. If this is not implemented, i wont buy MOP.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-09-17 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    There are r1 teams that haven't even been active in 4-5 months.

System needs rating decay badly, but with the amount of effort or consideration Blizz puts into pvp... things probably aren't changing.
    yea, like this one

decay system would be amazing, imo.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a 9x glad, I don't think decay is the answer. Blizzard just needs to be consistent and not change stuff up mid-season, allowing for ill-gotten gains. Several seasons have been screwed over by rating. Personally, I got S10 glad by playing the first week and coming back the last week, completely on accident. In that case, I feel decay was obviously warranted, but in reality, I don't think decay is needed.

I'm fine with sitting. I feel more glads are bought than people sitting who can't maintain their rating if they had to. In the end, people know who got Glad on a fluke or bought it, it's pretty obvious after playing with them, so really then the only reason for rating decay would be to make teams queue more often.

But, honestly, rating decay would promote wintrading. 2 of the 6 seasons I've played, I know for a fact R1s have been wintraded on Nightfall US, I dislike wintrading, anything that would promote it in any sense is a terrible idea. But yeah, if you're sitting on R1, you only get 1-2 points a game, queing into randoms is a chance at a -20 loss, a lot of players would feel they should wintrade. Also, if you're a terrible duelist who fluked into the position and decided to sit, you'd also be prone to wintrade. It sucks, but it would definitely happen.

I understand they don't want a system like we had in vanilla where you had to play all the time. There has to be some middle ground though, even if it was only a few matches a month. Far too often it isn't about who is best just who was able to lvl quickly and pvp the most in the 1st week. Sure some of these ppl might still get glad but there would be several who would not. Its not just glad its other ppl playing getting far beyond whatever their previous high was since they played a bunch of soft teams then hanging it up for the season.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Joycemiester View Post
    Here is a recent blue post on the matter:
    "
    What are you doing in order to try and ensure that players no longer play for a short while at the start of a season and then sit on their ratings to get gladiator? This causes issues because there are quite often very few players playing at higher ratings because of this and it creates a repetitive experience of fighting the same teams constantly.

A: It's really difficult to measure this type of thing right now, but we don't ordinarily see large numbers of players making a habit out of achieving a rating and sitting there successfully without playing. "

So in other words nothing is going to be done about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    I have heard from Blues that they do not like people sitting on ratings and in doing so, create a poor arena experience in the mid to latter months because people have no need to remain active, essentially creating a ghost town and long que times. Also, in a game where they are constantly balancing, one Fotm comp can roll into Glad range and just log off for 5 months and collect a title. They need rating decay for so many reasons. I just hope they do more than talk this time around.
    Blizzard does not even acknowledge that the majority of high-ranked teams only play the first two weeks, and potentially the last two weeks.

R1s are almost always playing on "alts" of the same class for videos and carrying others for cash. 8 of the top 10 3s teams on Bloodlust were not even full teams for the majority of the season.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i did see a recent blue post saying something like this: "we dont like awarding people for not playing," so i hope this is good news.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

We need rating decay.

Let's compare arena to baseball for one min. If a team wins their first 10 games, they can't just quit and claim the division tittle at the end of the season. The team must play the entire season to gain the title. If they don't play, they forfeit games and go down in the standings. If we want to consider wow anywhere near an e-sport we must have similar rules. Real sports don't give out titles based on one or two weeks of play, why should wow?

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    As a 9x glad, I don't think decay is the answer. Blizzard just needs to be consistent and not change stuff up mid-season, allowing for ill-gotten gains. Several seasons have been screwed over by rating. Personally, I got S10 glad by playing the first week and coming back the last week, completely on accident. In that case, I feel decay was obviously warranted, but in reality, I don't think decay is needed.

I'm fine with sitting. I feel more glads are bought than people sitting who can't maintain their rating if they had to. In the end, people know who got Glad on a fluke or bought it, it's pretty obvious after playing with them, so really then the only reason for rating decay would be to make teams queue more often.

But, honestly, rating decay would promote wintrading. 2 of the 6 seasons I've played, I know for a fact R1s have been wintraded on Nightfall US, I dislike wintrading, anything that would promote it in any sense is a terrible idea. But yeah, if you're sitting on R1, you only get 1-2 points a game, queing into randoms is a chance at a -20 loss, a lot of players would feel they should wintrade. Also, if you're a terrible duelist who fluked into the position and decided to sit, you'd also be prone to wintrade. It sucks, but it would definitely happen.
    A ton of teams wintrade anyway?
    Though Blizz really hit hard on wintraders this season, which is nice. Also, having a rating decay would probably help on the "sell boost" shit sites, because it's not just one time job done, but something they'd need to do consistently.

And having content patches coming out faster/seasons(I'm guessing) won't have as many crucial changes mid-season that can tip the point. Infamous Rogue/Priest in S7 I think it was... all top 2vs2 teams were rogue/priest due a bullshit fear/blind no dr fault. They changed that, but the people sat there for months on end.

And too many r1 teams have sat since the start of this damned patch.